Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently keep all my reloading data on paper. I have an old Midway Binder and data sheets for each caliber. I was wondering if there is any software set up for this purpose which would even include digital target pictures.
I would like to set up my data by individual arm , to keep an accurate record of all my reloading efforts and results. This would allow me to share my efforts with others electronically.;)

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I use Microsoft Excel for that purpose. I catalog all of my "finished" loads and results for accuracy, make notes for pressure signs, or any other pertinent info.

I have a tab then for my chamber dimensions for given rifles. If I don't have chamber castings or a reamer print for a given cartridge, I at minimum catalog base diameter, headspace, and ogive length.

I also keep inventory of my loaded ammo, components, etc. on another couple of tabs.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I also use Excel. Every test load is recorded as a line on that caliber's tab. All component and measurement data is recorded for each test load including chrono data. The targets themselves are scanned, run through "OnTarget" for measurement, and placed in a folder on disk. A link to that target picture is included as a data field as well.

Each line/entry contains: Date, Caliber, Case Batch, CL, COL, Base-to-Ogive, Primer, Bullet, Crimp, Powder, Weight, Nmbr of Shots, Color Code, Firearm, Distance, GrpSize, Target Picture, Chrono Used, High, Low, E.S., Avg, S.D., Notes

So I can look at any load I tested, see the chrono data, and bring up the actual target with a single click. I can sort by any of the fields and look at, eg, all tests shot with particular powder and/or charge weight. Once a load is proven, it goes on a separate "Proven List".

I also use Excel to track each batch of cases. Each time I do something with all or part of a batch of cases I just record it on that batch's tab. I know where the cases are, when/where/how I lost a case, number of times fired, annealed, etc. Since I started that I haven't had to ask "Where the hell are those cases?" or "Do they need to be annealed?".

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
I like Excel also and link info with photos and scanned targets.

I have the Miller twist program on Excel and also use Excel to record component inventory and barrel use.

I am working to link field shooting with Google map program using latitude and longitude. This provides some type of idea how to approach a certain area for a shoot.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm impressed with your attention to detail. I use Excel as well. I record my load data and MV I get from my Chrony. I compute mean, average and SD for each load. Over time I find what impact temperature has on my loads.
When I can convince my club to install a Hanson rest, I will start recording 5 shot group size at 25 yards.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,972 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Like everyone else, I use Excel, or the Google Chrome version of it anyway. It does the job and you can customize it as you like.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I also use Excel to record and inventory all my loads including factory loads. I also use different highlighted color codes for my favorites.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Like many others, I use Excel to keep track of my loading data with a separate tab for each caliber.
I also have a separate spreadsheet to keep track of bullet moulds and handloading die sets.

What I have found useful is to keep these spreadsheets online in a free DropBox account. I can access the data anywhere and anytime with a computer or smartphone.

Before youall tell me all about how anyone and/or the govt can spy on my activities, I simply don't care!
Nothing that I do is even close to illegal and I'm not so vain to think that the govt has nothing better to do than to watch me.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Just starting but will use excel.

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys! It seems that excel is the way everyone is going. I believe I already have it on my computer, I'll have to experiment.

·
Registered
134 Posts
google sheets for me (part of Google Docs )
that way that data is every where i go on every device i have

my chrono exports its data right to Google Drive from the range
makes life easy

·
Registered
169 Posts
I guess I'm just a low tech loader. All of my load data is on a piece of blue masking tape stuck to the container (not always a box) that the loads are in.

When I settle in on a load, that piece of blue masking tape gives me the information I need to duplicate the load and as an added bonus, it helps keep the container closed to prevent spilling during transit.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I use 2 methods because I'm old and don't like mistakes. I use a software program called Shooting Lab from RSI. This came bundled with my CED M2 chronograph, it's not free.
The second method is actually the way I started, a loose leaf binder with all details I want written out. I will admit, though, I'm not anal about brass batches I'm not a formal target shooter so I just inspect, inspect,measure,and inspect.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Software data management is advancing so fast it is difficult to keep up with it. This is the start of being able to link all sorts of data files to easily access all info.

To help me out with this stuff I intend to enlist the help of a youthful person familiar with this stuff as my past computer experiences sort of ground to a halt some 25 years ago.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
What makes Microsoft Excel so common as a reloader's database is its prevalence in the market, and it's simple functionality.

BUT...

MS Excel is really a functional spreadsheet program, meant for calculation, not really meant for databasing in the way that we use it as reloaders. Since our database is relatively simple and the attributes linked to any given "entry" or "load" are low volume, it works well enough, but there are better software programs out there to do the job, although the set up is a little more complicated, the cost a little higher, and the user interface a little less intuitive.

I used to use Microsoft Access for my reloading databasing. It's an actual database management program, such that it can be used to interface with a MS-SQL server or database, and the biggest differentiating feature is that it allows the user to set up different reports, execute queries and recalls, and perform some degree of comparative analysis much, much more easily than possible in Excel or other spreadsheet program.

In other words - in Access, a guy can query 45colt Trailboss and the program will kick back all entries corresponding to these two controls. In Excel, a guy could use a pivot table and call known matrices of powders and cartridges, but the table set up is much more complex to allow that to work. Most guys (myself included), just use sheets/tabs or tabular entries within a given tab/sheet with cellular references towards these combinations. So you might have all of your 45colt loads on one tab, but you'd have to sort by Trailboss to find the loads for which you've used it. But, if you wanted to know all of the loads that you've ever used with Trailboss, you'd have to seek and sort on every sheet because your data is categorized by cartridge, not powder. If you set up the Excel workbook to categorize by powder, then you'd similarly have the problem of seeking and sorting to group all of your data for a given cartridge. With Microsoft Access, query controls can be combined in different methods to call data much more efficiently.

I know a lot more folks that are "competent" with Excel than Access (or with spreadsheet software than database software - as in the case of Google Sheets instead of Excel), so a LOT of us use Excel for Databasing, as we're seeing in this thread. It works, but if a guy really wanted an efficient reloading catalog, then a databasing program like Microsoft Access is more powerful.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I know a lot more folks that are "competent" with Excel than Access (or with spreadsheet software than database software - as in the case of Google Sheets instead of Excel), so a LOT of us use Excel for Databasing, as we're seeing in this thread. It works, but if a guy really wanted an efficient reloading catalog, then a databasing program like Microsoft Access is more powerful.
FWIW, I totally agree with your comments. But I think the main problem is the cost of Access, and (for most of us) the limited additional functionality it gives for the price. The number of times I need to go cross-calibers is very limited (as in "never" so far), and I can do it as you mentioned with multiple sorts and pulls.

I've tried to use the "Access" equivalent in Open Office (called "Base") because it is free and I thought that would make it useful to a lot of reloaders. But each time I've built the initial table, I've reached a point where I can no longer insert an additional field definition in between two others. Given that simple a glitch and worried how non-functional I'd find it later on, I just gave up lol.

Maybe someday I'll put all my field definitions in Excel, play with them until I've got them right, and make the table. Then I could explore whether Base is a worthwhile successor to Excel (or Open Office Calc) :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Varminterror - spoken like a true geek! :cool:
Yes, I understood, but I'll bet there were a whole lotta readers going "huh?" :eek:

Back in the mid-2000s I took several classes in Database Management, but I haven't used the info, so I don't remember how to link all the tables.

Excel works for what I need, besides, the most recent version of Access that I have is 2003.
I just can't see paying for something more recent.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts