Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While my PC carbine finishes her last few days in jail I have been researching cartridge recipes. I am thinking a slower burning propellant will benefit from the 16” barrel and give me another 200fps or so...

All of the recipes I can find for 9mm use fast burning powder. The slower burning powders only have recipes for larger calibers like 45 and mag rounds.
I reload 9mm and 45acp so this is not news to me.

I’m a good reloaded but I am not ready to and don’t have the equipment to develop my own recipe. Does anyone know a proven recipe using a slower powder like Steel specifically developed for a PCC?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hogdon's web site has a reloading section covering just about any pistol or rifle cartridge, a great variety of bullet weights for all of them and all of the Hogdon owned (Hogdon, IMR and Winchester) powders. You should find a lot of suitable loads.

·
Registered
51 Posts
While my PC carbine finishes her last few days in jail I have been researching cartridge recipes. I am thinking a slower burning propellant will benefit from the 16” barrel and give me another 200fps or so...

All of the recipes I can find for 9mm use fast burning powder. The slower burning powders only have recipes for larger calibers like 45 and mag rounds.
I reload 9mm and 45acp so this is not news to me.

I’m a good reloaded but I am not ready to and don’t have the equipment to develop my own recipe. Does anyone know a proven recipe using a slower powder like Steel specifically developed for a PCC?
Are you looking for a fast feet per second load? You want to get another 200fps for what reason.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
See if the capacity of the 9 mm case has the capcity of a case used with slower burning powder and use a heavy for caliber bullet for a better burn.

·
Registered
558 Posts
GONRA suggests UNIQUE powder. Should verk fine in loonger barrel.
BUT - if you have 630P powder, this verks great in my 16? 18? inch barrel H&K 94 carbine:

115 grain .355 inch diameter S&W FMJ bullet. 10.0 grains 630 P powder. 1.160 inch OAL cartridge length.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,314 Posts
Power Pistol!

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Try Unique and/or Accurate No. 5
Load data is available on the manufacturer's web site .
I have had my best accuracy results with these two powders and the 124 grain truncated cone bullets .

Although I have not worked with them , Power Pistol and Accurate No. 7 would be suitable .
In a 16" barrel carbine I would definitely give Accurate No. 7 a hard look-see , the data indicates top velocities can be reached with it in handguns so the longer barrel and slower burning should be a winner .
Gary

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Another one for Power Pistol.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Accurate #7 is about as slow a powder as 9mm can use. I've had great results with it in pistol and carbine. Meters extremely well, also.

Reactions: jtdunc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you looking for a fast feet per second load? You want to get another 200fps for what reason.

The speed is incidental. I am looking for cartridge recipe specifically for a rifle, not a hand gun.
Since I posted this. I have found a few that I am going to try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try Unique and/or Accurate No. 5
Load data is available on the manufacturer's web site .
I have had my best accuracy results with these two powders and the 124 grain truncated cone bullets .

Although I have not worked with them , Power Pistol and Accurate No. 7 would be suitable .
In a 16" barrel carbine I would definitely give Accurate No. 7 a hard look-see , the data indicates top velocities can be reached with it in handguns so the longer barrel and slower burning should be a winner .
Gary

Thanks for your reply. Since I posted my query I found a recipe for A#7 and put together a few rounds to try.
In my search I also found some prediction software called QuickLoad that has a lot of data on powders and variables. I’ll be digging into it this weekend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Accurate #7 is about as slow a powder as 9mm can use. I've had great results with it in pistol and carbine. Meters extremely well, also.

Thanks for your reply.
I found someone on YouTube doing the same thing with A#7 and a recipe.
I put together a few rounds to try this weekend.
She is out of jail Saturday morning 10:37.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Another vote for Power Pistol. Although I am big fan of Unique but once I tried Power Pistol it has taken over all new loads over Unique.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have used AA#5 but my current load is with WSF and a 124 gr bullet. But I'm shooting competition and keeping power factor down.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Been using a few of these carbine loads for my 9mm AR-15 with a 16" barrel:

6.9 grains of HS-6 with 115 grain FMJ to 1.125" OAL doing 1275 fps out of a 16" barrel

6.6 grains of Power Pistol with 115 grain FMJ

1 - 16 of 16 Posts