Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reloading the .32 h&r magnum round and have had very good success with the Hornady 32 cal .312” 85gr XTP bullet and 4 grains of Unique powder. The results are comfortable recoil and a clean burn. Love the combination and wouldn’t want to change a thing with this load.

My question is dose anyone have any experience or knowledge with reloading the Barry’s 32 cal .312” 71 grain plated round nose bullet to a 32 h&r magnum Starline brass case? I’m hoping to continue to use the Unique smokeless pistol powder I already have. If so how much Unique powder should I use in this load?
I have read that the 71gr bullet is usually used in the 32 ACP round and seating it might be a challenge. But I can buy them pretty cheap and all I’m wanting is a plinking round to use in my Ruger Single-Six and Single-Seven.

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Lyman #4 , 32 H&R Magnum , 75 grain cast #311252 , Unique powder , shows :

Starting load - 4.0 grains @ 1068 fps

Maximum load - 4.5 grains @ 1228 fps

Unique requires a certain amount of pressure to burn cleanly , my experience has shown that going lower than 4.0 grains usually gets the "dirty burning" thing going.
Since 4.0 grains is working for you and it's the Lyman starting load with a 75 grain bullet , I would go with that recommendation .

The Barry's bullet has no crimp groove or cannelure , you might try a taper crimp with crimp die from a set of 32 acp dies if you have them .

If you wish a lighter load pick up some Titegroup , Bullseye , Red Dot or Acc. #2 .
I tried for decades to get Unique to be a target load powder , (I only wanted to use one powder)
...it's not a light load powder and will never be ,
the faster powders work so much better for light loads it's not even funny .

Texas Hill Country is so nice ,
Gary

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gwpercle, thanks for the feedback and I’ll give 4 grains of Unique a try. We are also expecting some cooler weather next week.

Does anyone know who has some 85 to 90 grain plated round nose bullets that I could order online? Wanting to find something in bulk to save money.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Home now and sitting in one of my favorite places. What my wife calls “my gun room”. The bullet seating die has Lee-32 H&R M-F7 on it. Not sure what the m-f7 means. I bought the Lee dies used from a guy that had been reloading the 32 h&r magnum with them. So I figured I couldn’t go wrong buying them. They seem to work real good with the Hornady 85 gr xtp bullets. I’ve got 250 rounds of 71 gr Barry’s plated round nose bullets being delivered Monday. Gonna give it a try with what I got.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Home now and sitting in one of my favorite places. What my wife calls “my gun room”. The bullet seating die has Lee-32 H&R M-F7 on it. Not sure what the m-f7 means. I bought the Lee dies used from a guy that had been reloading the 32 h&r magnum with them. So I figured I couldn’t go wrong buying them. They seem to work real good with the Hornady 85 gr xtp bullets. I’ve got 250 rounds of 71 gr Barry’s plated round nose bullets being delivered Monday. Gonna give it a try with what I got.
Post a range report when you're done .
A light roll crimp with the Lee die might just hold that smooth sided bullet just fine ...give it a try.
Gary

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Post a range report when you're done .
A light roll crimp with the Lee die might just hold that smooth sided bullet just fine ...give it a try.
Gary
The Barry’s bullets made it in today and made up 18 of them. The crimp seems to be ok. What do you think? I’ll give them a try tomorrow and report back. I’m curious to see how accurate they will end up being. The Hornady 85 gr xtp loads are accurate out of a 5.5 and 6.5 inch barrel.

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Made up 18 rounds of 3 different bullets last night and now heading out to give them a try. I’ll compare all 3 and the Federal factory loads for accuracy, recoil and powder burn. The 3 loads I made up have 4.0 grains of Unique powder and Winchester small pistol primers.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I've got away from Unique for the 'low' grain count. In .32 H&R Magnum, I find powders like AA#2 and AA #5 flow much better. BTW for the ~78g bullet I like AA#2 . When I go to 100+g bullets I move to AA#5.
Also, I've tried Unique in .32 H&R and it does work ok for the 100+g bullets. But the metering to get accurate loads was a pain. Basically had to weigh each one. Not acceptable (to me).

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got away from Unique for the 'low' grain count. In .32 H&R Magnum, I find powders like AA#2 and AA #5 flow much better. BTW for the ~78g bullet I like AA#2 . When I go to 100+g bullets I move to AA#5.

BTW, I've tried Unique in .32 H&R and it does work ok for the 100+g bullets. But the metering to get accurate loads was a pain. Basically had to weigh each one. Not acceptable (to me).
Thanks for the info and advice. I’m new to reloading and got a lot to learn. I’m sure I’ll eventually start giving other powders a try. But will also consult with a reliable reloading book to get proper load formulas. One thing that I have learned so far is, there seems to be about a bajillion ways to build a cartridge.

So far my RCBS powder measure has been consistently dropping 4.0 grains of powder every time. I have checked the powder weight several times since I’ve started reloading and it hasn’t changed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sam i too enjoy reloading the 32 H&R Magnum from my 4 inch SP-101. But the 71 Gr FMJ was designed for the 32 ACP, so it doesn’t have a cannelure, to be rolled crimped. It was designed to be tapered crimped. Unless you can apply a cannelure on that bullet, your internal and external ballistics may not meet your expectations.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
This may be a bit of a thread wander, but You reloaders can help me. I recently ordered the new Charter Arms "Professional" revolver in .32 H&R magnum. I do not reload, so I'd like your advice regarding a good factory load. Thank you in advance for your comments/advice. :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have a CA 32H&R Undercoverette(still hate that name) and it eats anything you put into it. If you mean SD rounds I use Hornady. Ammo. for the 32 H&R is hard to find and if want range rounds expensive to shoot. Good reason to get into reloading. 200.00$ investment for reloading pays for itself with this caliber. Reason I decided to reload.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Thanks for the info and advice. I’m new to reloading and got a lot to learn. I’m sure I’ll eventually start giving other powders a try. But will also consult with a reliable reloading book to get proper load formulas. One thing that I have learned so far is, there seems to be about a bajillion ways to build a cartridge.

So far my RCBS powder measure has been consistently dropping 4.0 grains of powder every time. I have checked the powder weight several times since I’ve started reloading and it hasn’t changed.
Stick with the 4.0 grs. Unique, there is nothing wrong with it in this application.
Give those bullets a light roll crimp , just enough so you can't shove the bullet deeper into the case with thumb pressure . You don't want to cut the plating or deform the bullet...put just enough crimp to hold.
Light bullet in a light recoiling gun...they will not be hard to hold .
Keep On Keeping On. Don't forget range report .
Gary

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This may be a bit of a thread wander, but You reloaders can help me. I recently ordered the new Charter Arms "Professional" revolver in .32 H&R magnum. I do not reload, so I'd like your advice regarding a good factory load. Thank you in advance for your comments/advice. :)
From what I have read the .32 h&r magnum round was developed to be a personal defense round. You will find them in 20 round boxes and will usually pay a $1.00+ Per round. Look online from with some of the supply retailers and you’ll find that there are only about 3 or 4 ammo manufacturers making them. Federal Ammunition is one that you will find. Best of luck finding what you want.

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sam i too enjoy reloading the 32 H&R Magnum from my 4 inch SP-101. But the 71 Gr FMJ was designed for the 32 ACP, so it doesn’t have a cannelure, to be rolled crimped. It was designed to be tapered crimped. Unless you can apply a cannelure on that bullet, your internal and external ballistics may not meet your expectations.
I agree that the 71 gr fmj bullet is a better 32acp round. I’m wanting a inexpensive plated round nose bullet for plinking and target shooting. I have noticed that it will give me a decent grouping at about 30 feet out. But when shooting them out to around 50 to 60 feet they start becoming unstable. Do you think I could be damaging the bore when shooting the the 71 gr bullet matched with the 32 h&r magnum round? What I’m really wanting is the plated round nose in the 90 gr size. But haven’t found them yet. If anyone knows who has them in stock please share who it is.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sam, since Rainier went out of business the availability of plated .32 100 gr bullets seems to have dried up. There are still cheap 100 gr lead and coated lead bullets available, you may need to go that direction. Check out Graf & Sons as a possible source (www.grafs.com).

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MartyMM, lol... I agree with you with that goofy name on such a cool revolver. “I still hate that name” Too funny.

gwpercle, so far I have hand loaded over 200 rounds with the 71 gr bullet and have shot over 150 of them. They seem to crimp on ok and have not had any problems other than they seem to get unstable the farther I shoot. Out to around 50+ feet the bullet holes on the target will show a tare along with the round hole. I’m guessing the bullets are starting to tumble. ??? I haven’t changed the amount of Unique powder and get good results with the 85 to 100 grain bullets. Do you think I could be damaging the bore or forcing cone in my Ruger revolvers?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sam, since Rainier went out of business the availability of plated .32 100 gr bullets seems to have dried up. There are still cheap 100 gr lead and coated lead bullets available, you may need to go that direction. Check out Graf & Sons as a possible source (www.grafs.com).
I’ve been thinking that’s what I’m probably gonna have to do. Thanks for the referral. I’ll give them a try.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good load data here:

Reloading .32 H&R Magnum

I started using Unique, but because of the large flakes, I was getting inconsistent measures in such a small amount. Saving this powder for my shot shells.
I now use HP-38 because it's a small ball powder and measures consistent.
My bullet of choice is BadManBullets 100gr poly coated. Super hard alloy and no wax smoking or leading. I load it to FMJ specs. That is up to you though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
And also of note.....Many years ago, Charter Arms had their "Bonnie & Clyde" set of revolvers. Bonnie's was in 32 H&R Mag and Clyde's was 38 Special. Both snubbies and engraved with the names. Maybe promoting the set for couples to shoot and defend. Would have made an interesting engagement or wedding gift.
Why didn't my family think of this gift?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts