Ruger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Left to right; 98gn double ended wadcutter- 119gn round nose flat point- 123gn mjolnir large hollowpoint- 127gn mjolnir flatpoint. The above loads should only be used in modern robust sixguns, and were developed specifically for use in ruger single and double action revolvers chambered in .32hrm and .327 fed mag. As always you should start low and work tour way up, looking for pressure signs. Disclaimer inserted.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looking for .32 H&R Magnum ammo?

This may be a bit of a thread wander, but You reloaders can help me. I recently ordered the new Charter Arms "Professional" revolver in .32 H&R magnum. I do not reload, so I'd like your advice regarding a good factory load. Thank you in advance for your comments/advice. :)
Prices are sky high for these low-volume calibers. But you can find some good prices by using a locating service like this one: https://ammoseek.com/ammo/. Federal is probably the best, since they had a hand in promoting both the H&R .32 Magnum and the .327 Federal Magnum rounds.

But don't overlook anything in the caliber you want. You might find a good one, and they all should go bang when you want it to.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree that the 71 gr fmj bullet is a better 32acp round. I’m wanting a inexpensive plated round nose bullet for plinking and target shooting. I have noticed that it will give me a decent grouping at about 30 feet out. But when shooting them out to around 50 to 60 feet they start becoming unstable. Do you think I could be damaging the bore when shooting the the 71 gr bullet matched with the 32 h&r magnum round? What I’m really wanting is the plated round nose in the 90 gr size. But haven’t found them yet. If anyone knows who has them in stock please share who it is.
I gave up loading plated bullets and switched to Hi-Tech-coated bullets instead. Same No Lead Fumes results, cleaner bores, great accuracy, and lack of smoke as with plated projectiles.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I’m loading more 327 & 32 L than the H&R simply because of brass.

Used to have single sixes in 32 H&R. A 4 5/8 and 5.5”. Loved them they where my wife’s “cowboy” guns.

Today I have A S7 Bisley and Birds head.

I like heavy for caliber. I use a Lyman 311440 (150g) and a Accurate 31-135S. (135g). Lymans 311008 also works real well. But My pop started shooting them and he wants quiet loads. So I’m wanting a lighter bullet I can turn out in volume a LEE 6gang 90308 is looking appealing to me. It’s a 93g RN.

I worked up Blue Dot loss for my heavies and got the 150’s going 1050 and the 135’s almost 1300 FPS.

I like Unique allot but prefer Bullseye for the mouse farts and Red Dot for light stuff.

Load pops been shooting is 2g Red Dot and a 110g SWC Lyman Bullet.

I have a RCBS 98 SWC coming with high hopes.

Casting your own and powder coating opens up so many avenues.

CW

39EA19CA-D3D3-4915-8758-39BE657A6AED_1581559015177.jpeg 9A2C3FD1-3CFD-404F-BB6C-DED98CC74417_1581559064559.jpeg

·
Registered
149 Posts
Has anyone made .32H&R brass by trimming .327Fed brass?

Does anyone think there might be a problem doing this?
SHOULD BE FINE. But WHY????

327 bras is 25% more costly than 32 H&R brass!

I just ordered some of both off Midway and H&R was 16$/100 and 327/200 was 47$

·
Registered
90 Posts
327 brass is thicker, so there would be less internal space inside the case which would affect pressure. Handload data pressures would be greater. Almost like having bullet set-back.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Has anyone made .32H&R brass by trimming .327Fed brass?

Does anyone think there might be a problem doing this?
The only problem would be that the headstamp will be wrong, and it is a lot of work. 32 h&r brass is readily available, so I don’t see the point.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a ton of Starline 32 H&R brass, once fired.
I'm going to post for sale around 1/2 of the 500 I bought from Starline (that was their minimum order quantity).
I don't need all of it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Shot that BlueDot load today. WOW!!! Ragged hole from the Bisley and pretty tight in the birdshead!!!

5g is a winner!! Was too cold and windy for the chrony.

Blue dot has be VERY good to the 32/327 for me!

CW

·
Registered
90 Posts
Shot that BlueDot load today. WOW!!! Ragged hole from the Bisley and pretty tight in the birdshead!!!

5g is a winner!! Was too cold and windy for the chrony.

Blue dot has be VERY good to the 32/327 for me!

CW
I like it. Might have to try Blue Dot next time.
BTW, sold the 32 H&R brass and bullets.

·
Registered
149 Posts
GOOD SHOW!!

I loaded up the other fifty with same load. It shoots really well!

Gonna cast up some RCBS 98 SWC next weekend. I’m anxious to try them. They are a lil long for the S7 in 327 but in a H&R they will load normally.
It’s a pretty nice bullet.

CW

·
Registered
83 Posts
SHOULD BE FINE. But WHY????

327 bras is 25% more costly than 32 H&R brass!

I just ordered some of both off Midway and H&R was 16$/100 and 327/200 was 47$
327 brass is thicker, so there would be less internal space inside the case which would affect pressure. Handload data pressures would be greater. Almost like having bullet set-back.
The only problem would be that the headstamp will be wrong, and it is a lot of work. 32 h&r brass is readily available, so I don’t see the point.
I had not yet checked on-line (I frequently do buy hard-to-get brass online), as I prefer to just use the brass from factory loads I've fired... and factory-loaded .327 Fed is a lot more-available (and cheaper, believe it or not) where I am than is factory-loaded .32 H&R.*

Unlike ViperR, I prefer to have ~500 rounds of a pistol/carbine round (or the capability to load that much), so one batch of 500 Starline .32 H&R should do fine.

I had wondered about the effect of volume of pressure, as I expected the .327 Fed brass to have thicker walls/base than the .32 H&R (double the pressure, after all). I wasn't sure if the difference would be enough to require I do more than drop the powder load a few % in weight.

* The only .32 H&R available here in stores is the 20-round boxes of Federal 85gr JHP or 100gr SWC (blue box), for $19-$20 and $18-$19 respectively (so $47.50-$50 & $45-$47 per 50), while the Federal American Eagle 100gr SWC in .327 Fed is $27-$30 per box of 50!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I sold the 32 H&R brass & bullets because I recently sold my Ruger SA .327 Lipsey's. I have enough left over to reload for my other .327 caliber snub revolver. I don't use it much and it's just my night stand gun. 327's are brutal in it, so I like the 32 H&R for occasional practice. And have on hand factory .327 Low-Recoil Hydro Shocks for use.

On the other hand, my .327 brass is from a box of factory Federal's. They kicked real hard in such a small gun, so they are just in a bag maybe for future reloading. Have to get mag primers, slower burning powder, dies, etc. if I decide to reload those.

Yes, I agree. 32 H&R ammo is very expensive just to get the brass. You want a quantity of 500 anyway. It's only around $100 for StarLine.

Last note: Even if you have a bunch of .327 brass, why go through the process, time and mess of trimming them down? Liability issues with modified brass that are head stamped in a different caliber, pressure issues, and so forth.

Maybe reload your .327 brass (if you have a good amount) to max 32 H&R specs. Many reloaders do that in their .357 cases to 38 +P specs because they have the brass and want the cylinder fouling ring at the .357 point in the cylinder.

Just thoughts.

·
Registered
90 Posts
GOOD SHOW!!

I loaded up the other fifty with same load. It shoots really well!

Gonna cast up some RCBS 98 SWC next weekend. I’m anxious to try them. They are a lil long for the S7 in 327 but in a H&R they will load normally.
It’s a pretty nice bullet.

CW
You know, I ran into the same thing with reloading 100 grain hard cast RNFP's in the .327 case. Would stick out about 1mm past the front of my S7 cylinder, but well below in my other .327 revolver from a different mfg. They were seated at the correct depth at the crimp groove, too. I always wondered why Ruger had such a short cylinder in their Lipsey's S7 BirdsHead model.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I always wondered why Ruger had such a short cylinder in their Lipsey's S7 BirdsHead model.
I suspect it's because Ruger shoehorned a longer cartridge into a frame originally designed around the .22LR. They set the barrel as far forward in the cylinder window as possible, and the .327 will just fit. If you have a bullet that results in an OAL slightly longer than the SAAMI max length, it will likely not work in the S7.

Most other .327 revolvers are built on a frame originally designed for a .38 Spl. or .357 Mag. The .38 cartridge is slightly longer than the .327, and the .357 would provied plenty of length with room to spare.

·
Ruger Aficionado
1,101 Posts
I like to use 115gr cast RNFP .312-.313. Meister is a good source.

I just place them over a full load of trail boss. You can load trail boss as full as possible without compressing the powder. The same for any cartridge or bullet combo.

I get good accuracy out of lever rifles and ruger single actions.

I consistently get the best accuracy by setting the powder level about 1/10" under the base of the seated bullet.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had not yet checked on-line (I frequently do buy hard-to-get brass
I had wondered about the effect of volume of pressure, as I expected the .327 Fed brass to have thicker walls/base than the .32 H&R (double the pressure, after all).
Common miss conception. The brass of a case is but a vessel To hold the powder. It’s BRASS! It’s very weak and cannot do very much at all to withstand pressures exerted upon firing. That’s the “job” of the steel in the Cylinders, Frame & Barrels.

I haven’t sectioned a 327 case but I’d bet ya it’s same same as a 327 and even a 32 Long. There is some calibers where ya find thicker cases and I’m not speaking to Military cases as that’s another can of worms and varies whilly nilly to manufacturer!!

Cost differences are slightly to do with materials used but more to the over all AMOUNTS produced. IE 9mm is become so cheap cause so much is produced driving costs down.

CW

41 - 60 of 61 Posts