Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys this for all you outside the UK. Currently i load 44 Remington Magnum. Using 6gn of Unique Powder and 330 cci Primer with 240 gn lead cast bullets. The difference being my Long Barreled Super Redhawk has a barell length of 18".What are you thought to the powder load

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,679 Posts
It's very light. I'd almost be concerned about sticking a bullet in the long barrel. What kind of velocity are you getting on a chronograph? I had a friend cast some bullets for me from scuba diving weights. They weigh 250gr lubed, but are very soft. I started at 7.5gr of Unique in .44mag cases but got patterns, not groups, from my 7.5" Super Blackhawk. I had to back all the way down to 6.2gr to achieve decent results. I use the loads for fun plinking and shooting my 8" plate at 25yds. As long as your bullets are commercially cast (not swaged) you're probably good to step it up some. Why did you choose the load you're using? It's below the starting load recommended in manuals.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
My source shows less than a 2 grain window for .44 Mag with 240 grains of lead. I’m loading at the minimum of 10 grains so for me, I think 6 grains is light. But if it works for ya.........

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Nothing wrong with loading light. That's one reason we reload is to develop loads we like to shoot. I know a like shooting .44 Special level loads in my Magnums myself. The lowest I went was 7.0g Unique. My current .44 Special load in a Magnum case is 8.5g which duplicates the .44 Special Skeeter load, but I shot a lot of 7.5g loads in a Magnum case back when. I also enjoy the 10g Load under 240g SWC when I want a 'little' bit of recoil. Point is load it like 'you' want and just enjoy the sport/hobby!

As a rule of thumb with Unique, to duplicate a .44 special load in .44 Mag case you add ~1.0g to the .44 Special load. Now if I remember right Lyman .44 Special tables has around 6.5g is marked as the max for 240g lead bullet. In .44 mag case that is equivalent to around 7.5g as to duplicate. The bottom of the .44 Special range is 5.2g which is 6.2g in the .44 Mag. So in my mind, at 6.0g you are using a 'starting' load for .44 Magnum using Unique. Shouldn't be a problem at all. Your not going to stick a lead bullet with this load. Probably not burn real clean. Can't say how accurate it would be. Hope this helps. Oh, to give you some idea of velocities, in my tests with a Ruger SBH 6 1/2" barrel and 240g SWC: 7.0g Unique I got 908fps up to 10.0g Unique for 1136fps. 10g is as high as I go with Unique. Beyond that I will use 2400 or 4227...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts