1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I shoot at the farm.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Our ranges require commercially-made ammo. I don't have a farm to test reloads but like the idea of reloading A LOT. How do others handle this problem? Or do they?
I do not take my ammo to the range in boxes. I take it out of the box/tray & put it in containers for 9mm, .380 & .22. They don't like Herters (Cabelas) ammo at my range because some of the yellow box stuff does not pass the magnet test.
The select grade Herters in the black box is brass cased & is fine.
Since they don't see the boxes, it's not a problem.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Our ranges require commercially-made ammo. I don't have a farm to test reloads but like the idea of reloading A LOT. How do others handle this problem? Or do they?
How would they know Remington factory ammo, from handloads in a Remington box. ??? The position is valid though, especially in the NE with the plethora of lawyer primed liberals and litigation opportunities.

A recent post on another forum was about a guy with a new AR that substituted TiteGroup, for a "similar sounding" powder. 23gr under a 62gr FMJ detonated his rifle, and thrilled nearby shooters. No matter how rigorous your own safety practices are, they won't save you from the idiot factor next door.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Our range has no such restriction. If it did, I'd find another place to shoot.

My guess is that your range is trying to reduce the liability risk of someone injuring themselves or other shooters by shooting unsafe reloads, but as others have indicated, good luck enforcing such a rule.

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
My range has no such restrictions ... we have a lot of reloaders in our club. Is there another range you can join?

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Yep, it's a liability thing. I've never seen that posted or been told that, and I actually had a reload jam in my SR1911. It jammed the slide so hard, I couldn't get it unstuck. I called over the range master for some younger, stronger hands and first thing he said, was, "Reloads?". Yep, it was. Apparently, the case was slightly bulged and I didn't see it. Glad he found it. I'm on the look out for that now.

But there was no mention of not allowing reloads and my range is pretty picky.

·
Registered
86 Posts
We shoot mostly reloads at the ranch. I'm fortunate to have a friend that has over 100 acres out in the sticks with 100 to 500 yard target stands. If I had to shoot at a range in the city/county and it had a bunch of pissyass restrictions I'd tell them to forget it. Just my two bits.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All local range rules state it specifically and the range master will pop in and actually check the ammo prior to initial loading (I don't carry loaded magazines). The local ranges all have the same rule. Maybe it's part of a Minnesota insurance liability law or something. I don't belong to a club -- perhaps their rules are more lenient toward shooting reloads.

Prohibiting reloads actually makes sense to me in a controlled range environment because quality control can't be established (sez Captain Obvious). Sure would be nice to have some land for plinking but the banksters ended all hopes of that! :)

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
Our range allows reloads but if they are too hot or etc than they will drop you from membersip after a warning or 2. The public ranges in the northern oart of nj ban stell cased ammo and steel core.
I wonder why they ban steel cased? I don't know why they would unless it's because they're cheap and they want your brass. Steel case may mess up your gun, but not a range.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
These kind of shotgun blast answers to problems usually stem from that few bad apples ruining it for the whole darn bunch. One of my local indoor ranges has had to shut down twice I think in the last ten or so years from some goober firing off tracer ammo and setting the backstop on fire. They've had a few blown up guns that owners admitted to shooting red hot hand loads. For a while they said factory only but people kept sneaking in BS ammo like more steel core and tracer again. They finally put their foot down and said no customer ammo goes in the range. Now you have to buy it all from them. They claim it was either that or they were going to shut down. People that do that kind of stuff to the range really piss me off as it hurts the range and what hurts the range hurts all of us. So I take it kind of personal like you are just giving me the finger as well as the range.

·
Registered
86 Posts
These kind of shotgun blast answers to problems usually stem from that few bad apples ruining it for the whole darn bunch. One of my local indoor ranges has had to shut down twice I think in the last ten or so years from some goober firing off tracer ammo and setting the backstop on fire. They've had a few blown up guns that owners admitted to shooting red hot hand loads. For a while they said factory only but people kept sneaking in BS ammo like more steel core and tracer again. They finally put their foot down and said no customer ammo goes in the range. Now you have to buy it all from them. They claim it was either that or they were going to shut down. People that do that kind of stuff to the range really piss me off as it hurts the range and what hurts the range hurts all of us. So I take it kind of personal like you are just giving me the finger as well as the range.
No customer ammo would be fine.......................if they didn't try to screw too much profit out of it. I've heard of a few around here in Texas that require users to buy it at the range that charge an extremely high price.

·
Registered
334 Posts
All local range rules state it specifically and the range master will pop in and actually check the ammo prior to initial loading (I don't carry loaded magazines). The local ranges all have the same rule. Maybe it's part of a Minnesota insurance liability law or something. I don't belong to a club -- perhaps their rules are more lenient toward shooting reloads.

Prohibiting reloads actually makes sense to me in a controlled range environment because quality control can't be established (sez Captain Obvious). Sure would be nice to have some land for plinking but the banksters ended all hopes of that! :)
Minnesota??? I participate over at the RCBS reloader HUB. Over there, we have a few members from Minnesota. They all shoot at their local ranges and participate in club events such as SASS / Cowboy action shooting. They are also all reloaders.

I have never heard of such restrictions ... especially in outdoor ranges.

Where I live, (Northern California, SF Bay Area), in the local indoor range, the range master checks our ammo bag before allowing us to enter. When he sees the reloads, he just waves us on through. It is amazing to see the deference given to the reloader. There just are not many of us out there in the shooting sports.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
MisterFelixLC9
It sounds like you are up against it if you want to follow range rules. It does sound silly, but it is their range? I wouldn't suggest violating range rules, besides being wrong, it could come back & bite you sometime in the future!
I'd suggest, if you can afford it, contacting various suppliers, Midway, Cabela's, & several other firms that sell ammo & seeing what they could do for you price wise on a large purchase of ammo. It's a large outlay of cash at one time, but might be your only soloution to the problem. At least you would lay in a good supply of empty cases?
What about the option of going to BLM or State land & practicing?
Hope you are able to come to a workable soloution.
Frank

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
When I was shooting cowboy in SASS I was loading a 200 gr bullet behind a case full of black powder in 45LC for both pistol and rifle. An indoor range was out so my son and I went to the local outdoor range to shoot a bit. Trouble was, just ahead of the shooting lanes they had a huge piece of carpet. I guess to catch the spent rounds of automatics? Bad thing about this is that carpet also was catching unburnt powder an oils and various other burnable items.

Well I'm sure you can guess what happened next. My loads all had a vegetable wad under the bullets that never presented a fire danger, but with the powder and oil soaked carpet conditions were just right. In seconds a nice big fire presented itself and everyone was running for hoses. Thank goodness the fire was extinguished, but rather than pulling the carpet and doing something different at the range they simply kicked my son and I out asking that we never returned with anything black powder. Shortly after that they banned all black powder use at their range. Smithy.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.