Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They could cut back a bit on the amount of oil . . .

Opening day of deer season Saturdy, as I was walking to the spot chosen for the evening wait, the temps dropped, wind kicked up, and it started to rain. Got under a cedar tree and kept warm & dry, but the Winchester 30-30 got wet. I wiped it off the best I could while out there, but had spots on it when I got home. No problem, get out the RemOil Wipes!

In case you are not familiar with them, they are like moist towlettes in individual packages, but impregnated with Remington gun oil.

Great idea, but that ONE wipe had enough oil to do the whole gunsafe population!!!! Did a great job of cleaning & oiling, but then I had to wipe it down with a paper towel to get the massive amounts :eek: of excess oil off.

But dang, the metal & wood look GREAT!!!!!! :D

Oh, and as a side-note: When wiping the water off your Winchester 30-30, be careful around the rear sight. I wiped it, heard a "twang" as my glove caught on it and lifted it up & it snapped back down. I looked down at it, and the elevation ramp was gone!! GREAT! Wonder how far THAT flew? ???

Fortunately, it was laying on my coverall leg!!!

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,417 Posts
They could cut back a bit on the amount of oil . . .

Opening day of deer season Saturdy, as I was walking to the spot chosen for the evening wait, the temps dropped, wind kicked up, and it started to rain. Got under a cedar tree and kept warm & dry, but the Winchester 30-30 got wet. I wiped it off the best I could while out there, but had spots on it when I got home. No problem, get out the RemOil Wipes!

In case you are not familiar with them, they are like moist towlettes in individual packages, but impregnated with Remington gun oil.

Great idea, but that ONE wipe had enough oil to do the whole gunsafe population!!!! Did a great job of cleaning & oiling, but then I had to wipe it down with a paper towel to get the massive amounts :eek: of excess oil off.

But dang, the metal & wood look GREAT!!!!!! :D

Oh, and as a side-note: When wiping the water off your Winchester 30-30, be careful around the rear sight. I wiped it, heard a "twang" as my glove caught on it and lifted it up & it snapped back down. I looked down at it, and the elevation ramp was gone!! GREAT! Wonder how far THAT flew? ???

Fortunately, it was laying on my coverall leg!!!
I use an old terry cloth with CLP on it. Just as good and I can regulate how much I want on it. I use the same rag to wipe down my hand tools after using them.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I use ballistol from an aerosol can, which I bought about 3-4 years ago and still have yet to empty the one can. That, and the same old cotton t-shirt for a rag, which I keep in a plastic bag and is well enough soaked in oil now that all I need is a minor spritz from the ballistol can and wipe things down with the rag (I do tend to toss the rag for a new one every year or so as it eventually does get kind of nasty). That lets me use minimal oil, just enough to wipe things down and prevent rust. I too hate having too much oil!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I use both RemOil in the aerosol can, & the RemOil wipes. The latter are pretty well soaked, but I consider that a benefit, esp. when cleaning & servicing semiautomatic pistols. I've also heard great things about Ballistol, & intend to try it one of these days.

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Oil..... I use one drop of oil on a cotton tip.
That does the slide only.
30 mls (1 fl oz) lasts me about 10 years. :D

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,417 Posts
I use ballistol from an aerosol can, which I bought about 3-4 years ago and still have yet to empty the one can. That, and the same old cotton t-shirt for a rag, which I keep in a plastic bag and is well enough soaked in oil now that all I need is a minor spritz from the ballistol can and wipe things down with the rag (I do tend to toss the rag for a new one every year or so as it eventually does get kind of nasty). That lets me use minimal oil, just enough to wipe things down and prevent rust. I too hate having too much oil!
Not me. I put so much oil on my guns I need to wipe them down before firing them the next time. If I don't they will rust.

·
Ausmerican.
42,713 Posts
Not me. I put so much oil on my guns I need to wipe them down before firing them the next time. If I don't they will rust.
We live on the coast, 100% humidity most of the time, but no rust.
Go figure. :confused:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I too use CLP and a cloth but shouldn't we be happy that there is a product out that we're actually saying "man there's too much oil on this!!!"

Man, I hate getting more than what I am used to paying for!!! ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
And this is where I learn more. I've always used Hoppes for cleaning all guns. But I did recently buy Remington in an aerosol can. I used a light coating if Hoppes for the initial cleaning, and then lightly used the REM spray to finish things up. Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have done tests of various products on bare metal. Rem Oil did very poor when compared to other products. Of course if you are really into cleaning and maintaining a gun, most anything will work because you are always working on it, rubbing it, and coating the surface. From the tests I decided Rem Oil was best as a lube and for protection something like corrosion X was the best.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.