Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost my dad last year in OCT to lung cancer. My brother and I split up a fairly decent amount of ammo that dad had. He had some remanufactured ammo that he bought at a gun show in SW Ohio. Can't begin to tell you how long ago it was he bought it, but he always kept his ammo stored well. It came in a white box with just ".357 Magnum 125 Gr. HOLLOW POINT" on it.

So I take my newly acquired 6" Security Six out to shoot it. After a couple of rounds I get what I thought was a misfire. Luckily I checked before I tried to shoot it again. The round got just far enough in the barrel to let me swing the cylinder out. And it left a wad of unburned powder in the cylinder after I got the case out. After I dislodged it, I shot some more. I had it happen a second time in 9 rounds.

Needless to say I scrapped the remaining rounds by pulling the bullets but will reuse the cases. Luckily it was the only box I have like that. My brother has 2 boxes of that and I've already warned him.

Just thought I would post this as a FYI.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the post and photos. Will try to retain this information should I ever experience a misfire, real or apparent.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nutty Ned, if I hadn't have thought twice about it, I would have also. I almost thought, "I'll just try the next round." So glad that I didn't.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Lots of folks swear by remanufactured ammo, others (me included) swear at it.

Frankly, the only remanufacuted ammo I use is what I "remanufacture" myself.

Glad you checked that before you pulled the trigger again. That could have ruined a very nice revolver and your day!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts