Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,166 Posts
I reckon I'll just stick to collectin guns, knives and motorcycles.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
I collected stamps, baseball cards and comic books (all Marvel I hated DC) as a kid. I sold my collections when I went to college to pay for books. If I had them back today, I could probably have retired early.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
I collected stamps, baseball cards and comic books ...
Had a massive comic book collection in my parents basement when I went to college. Came home a year later and Dad told me the sump pump went out, the basement flooded and they got wet, so he threw them all in the trash.

Like you, I probably could have retired early! :(

·
Registered
719 Posts
I collected stamps, baseball cards and comic books (all Marvel I hated DC) as a kid. I sold my collections when I went to college to pay for books. If I had them back today, I could probably have retired early.
Oh my comics! Sold them when I was 17. First issues of silver age Xmen,the flash,justice league etc. my first issue of the flash would go for around 3 or 4 grand now. I had a run of 105-155. Still breaks my heart to think how dumb I was.

·
Pony Soldier
8,640 Posts
I wish I would have collected Colt Snake Revolvers when I was younger!
Greg

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
I had a great coin collection started for me by my Dad back in the 1940s.
He soldered the lid onto a 5 lb coffee can and punched a coin slot in the lid so additional coins could be added.
Whenever I discovered an older coin I dropped it in the coffee can.
Unfortunately some teens broke into the house in the late 1970s and stole my treasured coffee can. ... :mad:
No more collecting for me

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to hear about the loss of your coin collection. :(

I never really have seriously been involved in collecting, but the closest would have to be when I would try and collect old "wheat" pennies when I was younger. Even to this day I still have a love for them, but I just don't bother looking for them anymore. For some reason, I always seemed to have real good luck in finding them when I was younger. And it always intrigued me at how they were always in really decent condition for being so old when I would find them. Guess the metal back then was more durable.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
die cast... Nascar die cast... Terry Labonte nascar die cast...

i have no less than 400 cars in scales from 1/144 through 1/18. collected all of this in the early to late 90's when the Ice Man was a front runner. beyond the cars i have a myriad of other items with the 5 car (and some older 44 car) all over them.

now, packed away (never inventoried) i think there's at least 8-9 medium/large moving boxes taking up valuable space in my garage.

a fool and his money.... its true.

maybe some day they will be worth something. probably be my kids adventure to find out... or dispose of.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Two words.

Beanie Babies.

Now my wife didn't go completely bonkers by any means. But although she's a very strong but feminine woman, I think that might be the most "girlie girl" phase she ever went through. And it was a relatively cheap thrill. And I always got a big smile when I brought home one she'd said she liked.

Confession time - I do still have my Pyterodactyl sitting on my dresser. He amuses me still.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
die cast... Nascar die cast... Terry Labonte nascar die cast...

i have no less than 400 cars in scales from 1/144 through 1/18. collected all of this in the early to late 90's when the Ice Man was a front runner. beyond the cars i have a myriad of other items with the 5 car (and some older 44 car) all over them.

now, packed away (never inventoried) i think there's at least 8-9 medium/large moving boxes taking up valuable space in my garage.

a fool and his money.... its true.

maybe some day they will be worth something. probably be my kids adventure to find out... or dispose of.
LOL. Same here. I have a whole collection of Terry & Dale cars. Most are the large ones, and several are limited editions. I have never even looked to see what they may or may not be worth. All packed away in boxes.

Thats when racing was STILL racing. I still have bristol races here, on VHS. haha.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had a massive comic book collection in my parents basement when I went to college. Came home a year later and Dad told me the sump pump went out, the basement flooded and they got wet, so he threw them all in the trash.

Like you, I probably could have retired early! :(
Depending on the condition and issue they are not worth that much. Old comics are worth so much because they were made to be thrown out and not kept.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
We never had much money as a kid. I had to collect rocks. Still have a lot of them in an old can somewhere.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Gun collecting has become real popular ever since Dumbo Ears took office. Ammo collecting too, it seems!
It's interesting...he has no clue why he's 'Gun Salesman-of-the-Year' these past 7+ years...all while verbally 'claiming' he's not trying to remove every individuals ability to protect themselves and their loved ones with one! Oh...and he always comes out in favor of or 'for' the criminals!

As long as the criminals are allowed to have them...I reserve the right to have one myself, legally!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
LOL. Same here. I have a whole collection of Terry & Dale cars. Most are the large ones, and several are limited editions. I have never even looked to see what they may or may not be worth. All packed away in boxes.

Thats when racing was STILL racing. I still have bristol races here, on VHS. haha.
Bristol... their biggest little battleground!!!

and how could one seriously be a Dale and Terry fan... its like one or the other...

the bulk of my collection is the 1/64 Racing Champions fodder, but the real meat of it and probably at least 25-30 pieces are the 1/24 RC/Action/Revel and a few other brands... i have almost every paint scheme, except... i think, but i dont recall getting my hands on one... the Honey Crunch car... it was limited and shot up to $250-300 quickly.

i'd be willing to bet that i have about $4k in stuff...

just hope my wife and kids dont sell it all for what i told her i paid for it... ;)

just like my guns. pretty sure she thinks i'm still less than $1k in inventory in my armory

·
Registered
17,166 Posts
Bristol... their biggest little battleground!!!
Earnhardt sure looked shocked when the fans booed him that night.
I liked it the previous race, when Terry drove his Earnhardt wrecked car into Victory Lane.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Earnhardt sure looked shocked when the fans booed him that night.
I liked it the previous race, when Terry drove his Earnhardt wrecked car into Victory Lane.
that was impressive... nothing like a steaming pile of twisted metal in Victory lane... wasnt that the one where he literally crossed the finish line sideways

1 - 19 of 19 Posts