Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not looking to buy immediately but sometime within the next few months. I want an auto loader and I think I've settled on an 1100. I love my 870 so I thought I would stick with Remington. My only concern is that I don't know if I can change the choke tubes in an 1100. I'm looking to buy used unless a great new deal comes across and I was just wondering if there was a certain year or model that came with a fixed choke? I will be using this gun primarily for trap, skeet, and sporting clays.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It will have to be used as they don't make the 1100 anymore. The 11-87 replaced it. I love the 1100 and am looking for a good used one as well.

·
Banned
81 Posts
Remington 1100s are available with REM-CHOKES. You can change the choke to suit your needs. As fa as one vintage 1100 being better than another I have owned several of different vintage and not seen a significant difference. They are great guns.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I've always liked my Rem 1100. I bought it back around 1974 for a mere 159.00 at a store that's no longer in business. It had a plain barrel. A local GS I dealt with swapped the barrel for a vented rib bbl and only charged me what the price difference was for the barrels. I shoot it very seldom and it's one of my favorite shotguns. It's like Brand New. I think I am missing the box though.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will have to be used as they don't make the 1100 anymore. The 11-87 replaced it. I love the 1100 and am looking for a good used one as well.
I didn't know that they didn't make them anymore. I just assumed they did since on Remington's website they had a price on them. Good information to know.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You won't make a mistake with a 1100. I've been shooting one that is probably 40 yrs. old that my father had. Mine does not have screw-in chokes but it does a pretty good job with the fixed choke. I went to a skeet shoot not long ago that involved betwee 150 and 200 people and the majority of the shotguns used were over-and-unders and Remington 1100s.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Go for it.!! The finest autoloading shotgun of any era, bar none. My sons and I are avid bird and waterfowl hunters and have all been shooting 1100s since the early 80s. And I have a trap model that I still shoot for league.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can get a used one alot cheaper. And an 11-87 is more versatile if you want to shoot different size shells

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have a 1977 model 1100, and it hasnt had a single failure in the 3 years ive had it. Mine came with an improved cylinder barrel and a full barrel and i cant even guess how many doves and pheasants have died in front of my gun.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is a decent price on a used one?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I just saw an 1100 hundred today used at a LGS. It was beautiful! They only wanted $300 for it.

I really don't have a use for one as I've never hunted bird before (thought I'd love to), but it looks like such a good deal.

·
Dog Soldier
1,782 Posts
Great gun. Mine is a 1964 model with a Modified Choke. Newer ones do have changable chokes.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've had 6 Remington 1100's all in 12 gauge and have 3 currently. I hunted with them and reloaded my shells until the hulls absolutely fell apart! About the only thing I did to maintain them is to wipe the soot out of the gas piston area, run a patch through the bore and blow crud out of the trigger mechanism and magazine tube. I've never had any trouble with them!

One of my 1100's is a 1969 vintage and it has a new style gas piston assembly in it. The whole new piston assembly cost $20. Just yesterday, I ordered new O ring "Barrel seals" ($6 for 3 of them) and a breech bolt buffer that mounts in the rear of the bolt. That part was $3.99! I may also replace the extractors on two of them as routine maintenance (about $15). I replace critical parts before they become troublesome then save the used parts as backups.

If the stocks get goobered up, I replace them with genuine Remington synthetic replacements for about $70.

My favorite is a 70's vintage 1100 with vent rib and is almost in brand new condition. I put that one away and don't use it.

So................buy one...... buy two...........the 1100 shotguns are truly built to last!

I just came from the Remington web site and they list the 1100 as a current model. The MSRP on the 12 gauge sporting (field) model was $1211! Buying a used one for between $300 and $400 is a splendid bargain! I suspect Academy and other stores don't stock them due to the price.

http://www.remington.com/en/product-families/firearms/shotgun-families/autoloading-model-1100.aspx

Flash

·
Registered
728 Posts
I competed in Trap for about 15 years. I had an 870, then a 3200 o/u

Lots of people with the 1100 and they shot competition for 10+ years with the same gun.

You will not be unhappy with a used one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts