Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a Remington 870 express magnum 20 gauge from 1970 with a fully rifled cantilever slug barrel that i got used from Sheels Sporting Goods. I have been looking for a vent rib barrel to shoot trap, pheasants, squirrels etc. Midway USA has them for 279 dollars for only the barrel!!!! That is about the price of a new 870 Express or Mossberg 500!!! I have decided to just get a new shotgun instead and keep my 870 as a full duty Slug Gun. I have narrowed down my choices to the 870 express, the Mossberg 500 and the Benilli Nova. They are all about the same price. My budget is 300 dollars. I am fourteen, and have been saving a while for the barrel but now i know i want the new shotgun so 300 dollars is still my budget. And by the way, my parents aren't going to buy me this and they haven't bought me my other four firearms, so please don't say i am spoiled and get everything bought for me.

Please post suggestions, comments, and if you know of another good pump shotgun or auto loader for about 300 dollars please inform me.

Thanks Max :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
In my opinion you can never go wrong with a good 870 pump. I've had an Express Super Magnum for about 10 years now, & absolutely love it. For another $40 or so you could even wield the 887 Nitro Mag. The styling isn't for everyone, but it's worth a look. Good luck!

·
Banned
208 Posts
Can't go wrong with the 500 or the 870. Some people prefer the location of the safety on the 870, but that's personal preference.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Hey guys, I have a Remington 870 express magnum 20 gauge from 1970 with a fully rifled cantilever slug barrel that i got used from Sheels Sporting Goods. I have been looking for a vent rib barrel to shoot trap, pheasants, squirrels etc. Midway USA has them for 279 dollars for only the barrel!!!! That is about the price of a new 870 Express or Mossberg 500!!! I have decided to just get a new shotgun instead and keep my 870 as a full duty Slug Gun. I have narrowed down my choices to the 870 express, the Mossberg 500 and the Benilli Nova. They are all about the same price. My budget is 300 dollars. I am fourteen, and have been saving a while for the barrel but now i know i want the new shotgun so 300 dollars is still my budget. And by the way, my parents aren't going to buy me this and they haven't bought me my other four firearms, so please don't say i am spoiled and get everything bought for me.

Please post suggestions, comments, and if you know of another good pump shotgun or auto loader for about 300 dollars please inform me.

Thanks Max :)
You're going to get a lot of recommendations for the 870. I've got a Mossberg 500 and I'm very happy with it. I believe the military uses them, too.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
i've never tried a mossberg 500 , but i know how much i love my 870! probably couldn't go wrong with either of them, but i (along with many others) can vouch firsthand for the 870.

·
Registered
815 Posts
military uses the 590. i prefer the mossberg because the safety is on top of the receiver instead of in the trigger guard like on the remington.

either would serve you well.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Well you've narrowed it down to the three popular choices in that price range. In my opinion go with the Mossberg and you'll never regret it. I was in you're shoes not too long ago looking at the 870, the 500 and the Benilli. Of all I handled the Mossberg felt very natural and well balanced when shouldered. I like the tang safety and the action is fast and smooth. It's plenty versatile as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I own a Moss. 500 and really enjoy it. I have shot skeet and trap. Also, have the pistol grip and short barrel for protection. Therefore, I like what is available for it and how you can change parts around. Never had either of the other guns.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Hi Max,
I have a 500 & have for years. I have never had a problem with it. It came with a 28" barrel/modified choke & an 18.5" barrel with pistol grip. It always seemed they had less expensive barrels than Remington. Good luck, it's fun shopping.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Since you are keeping the older 870, I would get another 870. All of the controls would be identical between the two. I have missed birds when swapping shotguns because I tried to actuate a safety that just wasn't there...at least on that particular shotgun. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Either. Pick the one that feels best in your hands. Both shotguns have are good choices.

·
Registered
17,239 Posts
I've had an 870 Wingmaster for 35 years and will never part with it, but I've mostly been hunting lately with my Browning BPS with a 26" barrel. I just wanted to mention the Browning and it is bottom eject and top safety for right or left handers.

·
Registered
991 Posts
You're going to get a lot of recommendations for the 870. I've got a Mossberg 500 and I'm very happy with it. I believe the military uses them, too.
Military also uses the 870 as well but the Military Mossberg is the 590 I believe. Both the 870 & 500 are good shotguns, and it's mostly personnal preference. My preference just happens to be the 870, simple durable, rugged design.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've never owned a 870, but I've shot several of them. All three of your choices are excellent shotguns, and I don't think you'd go wrong with any of them. As another poster pointed out, if you decide to go with the mossberg, you'd be just as well off with the Maverick for less money. I would like to make one other suggestion which would be in your price range as well. The first shotgun I ever owned was a winchester 1300, which has now been replaced by the super x. I sold it to buy a Benelli Nova, which I kept for several years, and eventually gave to my brother when I bought an over/under. I never cared for the Benelli, and always wished I would have kept the Winchester. The 1300 cycled super fast, and the action was silky smooth, and I would buy another one in a heartbeat. I'm not saying it is any better than your other options, but it is still my favorite pump action shotgun, and certainly worth a look since it is in the same price range.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts