Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got this Russian made 20 Gauge Remington / Baikal from my wife's boss for $250. Only shot it a few times but I'm pleased with it so far. I put on a thicker butt pad to lengthen the pull a bit for my long arms and refinished it to show more of the nice walnut wood grain. It came with an assortment of screw in chokes and I plan to mostly bird hunt with it. I bought it because I always liked 20 gauge and did not currently have one. After shaving off some excess wood it weighs exactly 7 pounds. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this cheaper made Remington SPR-310?
IMG_0946.JPG

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,953 Posts
I don't know anything about those. But if it works then you did great for $250.00. It looks good.

·
Registered
Mk II, Wrangler, LCPII .22 LR, EC9S, Security 9, P-85, RAR .17 HMR + .22 LR, + 10/22 Sporter
1,345 Posts
Wow, for $250 I'd say you hit the jackpot! Just spent $400 of this new Hatfield (Turkish made) 12ga, wish it were avail in 20 ga.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That Hatfield looks great! The wife's boss said he paid $450. new for the Remington/Baikal but would sell to me for $250. because the stock was scratched up pretty good. No problem for me as walnut sands and refinishes so easy. I had offered to fix it for him but he gave me the price he wanted and I bought it. The guy has a machine gun collection. I got to shoot a full auto Thompson, Sten, and Uzi. This was early last year. Hate to think how many $ you could blow through at todays prices if you could even find enough ammo for a machine gun shooting session.

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Great deal on that shotgun. I'm not an expert at anything. When I was looking for a sporting clays gun I was steered away from the Russian and Turkish offerings. However, for your purpose it is a great gun for the money. I still use a 20 gauge when I go pheasant hunting. Enjoy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't shoot sporting clays but do have a trap machine for practice shooting at the private range I belong to. I was pleased at the way it points and busts clay pigeons. It is a strongly built gun for my practice trap shooting and bird hunting. I don't think I would ever spend the kind of money needed for a top quality sporting clays gun and don't plan on getting into that.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My (now gone) best friend and quite a few of his compatriots at the yacht club bought Baikals for their winter trap shoots. They would shoot from the pier out over the harbor (in winter after all the boats had been hauled out). I never heard of anyone having problems other than them being addictive, many of the guys needed one in any gauge they could get. They had started out shooting whatever was on hand but changed over to break action only to keep the fired hulls from landing in the water.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do keep this one set to extract not eject about 5ft from the gun as my pump and simiauto guns do. We are supposed to pick up hulls at the range. Glad to hear they had no problems at that club.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts