Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about using this round in my 3" GP100. I know it's considered a "mid-range" .357 load, but in a snub that might be just the ticket. In most of these threads many people suggest using .38+P loadings in snubs, but how does this .357 load compare in terms of recoil, ballistics, blast, flash, etc.? Does anyone use this or have any experience with the .357 Golden Saber? I know there's tons of other rounds available, but I am particularly interested in this one because I have seen it around $25/50 and that seems pretty good for defensive .357 ammo.

·
Registered
846 Posts
IMO buying the cheapest defensive ammo is not the thing to do. Usually, the cheaper ammo is cheaper for a reason. Stick with Hornady/Speer/ and Federal defensive ammo. It's not that much more anyway. I practice with Remington and Winchester fodder but I don't carry it for SD. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
The Remington Golden Saber bullet is thought by many to be their answer to Winchester's Black Talon (discontinued in 2000 due to over-inflated public concern); it is, in my experience, a reliable self-defense round (seen a number of them on x-ray). That said, I'm not sure it will reliably expand out of a short-barrel revolver, although the 125 grain loading should have enough velocity out of a 3" barrel.

It's not the most expensive self-defense ammunition, but I've seen plenty of people killed with plain lead bullets and a lot of people who kept fighting or running after being hit with state-of-the-art hollow points. In the end the choice is yours (disclaimer: I sometimes load Golden Saber ammunition in my carry gun).

Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not looking for the cheapest ammo necessarily, but cheaper ammo does generally mean more practice with actual defensive loads rather than .38 FMJ...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Especially with revolvers, which have fewer issues than semis in terms of feeding and function, I am finding it less important to practice with actual defensive loads as long as you can find a load that approximates it. To that end, my favorite practice load at the moment is a 125gr .38 load from Magtech. It's actually hotter than their 158 .38 load and compares very well with my LCR carry load, the Hornady 110gr 38+P.

I don't know how it compares to .357 defensive loads but I shot it back to back with a Blazer .357 158gr load today and couldn't tell much difference in my brand new 3" GP.

I'm going to start looking at .357 loads now that I have a platform that can truly handle them (for me that is NOT the LCR) and the GPs will end up as home defense guns once I get them set up and broken in. But I'm probably going to be sticking with 38+P for HD anyway. I don't want to be lighting off .357 indoors with no ear protection.

Sorry for the ramble. Maybe there was SOMETHING of use in all that. :p

·
Banned
365 Posts
The Remington 125 gr 357 Magnum Golden Saber was the standard round for many police departments back in the day, and is STILL my favorite defense load, with the Hornady Critical Defense a close second. I would not be afraid to use this load at all for self or home defense in a short barrel 357 magnum, as it has a VERY proven track record for stopping power.

Remember, it's not the price you pay for the ammunition, it is how well it performs in the real world that counts, and this round has a great track record. Check out a video by ScubaOz on YouTube about this round, it will remove your doubts about the round quickly.

Disclaimer: The above opinion is based on not just my opinion, but the opinion of LEO friends who have seen what this round has done to would be assailants, as well as the Sanow/Marshall research on one shot stopping power. It is a hard round to beat.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
The Remington 125 gr 357 Magnum Golden Saber was the standard round for many police departments back in the day, and is STILL my favorite defense load, with the Hornady Critical Defense a close second. I would not be afraid to use this load at all for self or home defense in a short barrel 357 magnum, as it has a VERY proven track record for stopping power.

Remember, it's not the price you pay for the ammunition, it is how well it performs in the real world that counts, and this round has a great track record. Check out a video by ScubaOz on YouTube about this round, it will remove your doubts about the round quickly.

Disclaimer: The above opinion is based on not just my opinion, but the opinion of LEO friends who have seen what this round has done to would be assailants, as well as the Sanow/Marshall research on one shot stopping power. It is a hard round to beat.
+1 That is also my understanding. This is the ammo I carry in both my EDC guns, Commander 1911 and 4" GP.

I believe it has been discontinued after many years of production. I know it's gone from the shelves around here. If I could find more I'd buy it.

It's proven track record trumps any new bullet's tests done by it's own manufacturer and none of that magic bullet hype is worth a damn if you haven't got any kind of bullet placement anyway.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The Remington Golden Saber 165 grain in 40 S&W was the bullet proved the 40 was as good a one-shot-stopper as the 125 grain 357 magnum rounds that LEO had been carrying in their 4" revolvers. The Golden Saber has a good rep with LEO.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I EDC .38+P Golden Sabers in my LCR and am going to pickup a few boxes of .357s for my 6" GP100. They are the most accurate rounds I tried out of my LCR.

·
Registered
639 Posts
In the numerous jello tests on Youtube I looked at for the Golden Saber +P 38 Special the brass jacket morphed into little metal flowers with nasty sharp petals, a good cutter thinks I.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had an SP101 in .357. i found the Remington 125 grain Golden Sabers to be very controllable in this little gun, unlike the full power loads.

Are all Remington 125 grain Golden Sabers now considered medium velocity? The rounds I was speaking of were labeled "Medium Velocity."

·
Registered
134 Posts
The true self defense 125 grain 357 HP that was known as the man stopper,
Pushed that bullet at 1400 to close to 1500 F P S
You wont get that in a 2 or 3" gun, but if the ballistics are what I said above
it should still be OK for a short barrel.

The Remington bullet you speak of is a proven bullet, I do prefer the one that is bonded
Like the gold dots or the hydro shocks. The lead stays with the petals as they spread.
Also less chance if any for jacket and core to separate.

So far I have been very impressed with Hornady critical defense.
FWIW load the golden sabers and relax.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Eventho I carry a 6" GP100, I still want a load that will bust out of the muzzle with a lot of power, so I carry the Underwood 158 grain XTP JHP. The ballistics of this load are very impressive.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Personally, I like the Remington load. It was standard-issue at the PD where I worked prior to retirement. It was chosen, after research on "one shot stops", by a group of several Officers delegated to choose a duty round. Regarding the "mid-range" revolver round, we understood at the time that the velocity of the round as marketed was optimized for the performance level sought after by Remington's design and engineering folks.

I still use it in 9-m/m, .40 and .357 magnum in my 3" GP-100.

Whatever you choose, do a bit of research and you'll do well........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts