Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This bolt action, single shot Model 514 (.22, .22 short, and .22LR) is the first firearm I ever owned. It was a gift when I was 14 in 1958, the same year the rifle was made. After nearly 60 years of disuse (but not abuse), I pulled it out of storage and cleaned it up. The bore is unpitted and the firing pin, ejector and extractor are all in good shape too. Since I "rescued" it, I've only taken it to the range once and put about 50 rounds through it. It's as accurate and as much fun as I remember it to be.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thats a fine little rifle! I still have my great grandfathers single shot bolt action 22. I never shoot it though for sentimental reasons. I also have my great great uncles s&w 32 long he bought new. It still looks that way too. Congrats on that nice little fellow!

·
Registered
947 Posts
That thing is a little sweetheart....there's just something special about a single shot .22 bolt action. Maybe it's because you have to work a little bit extra for every shot...:cool:

Reactions: bluzman

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Looks a lot like my Dad's that he got when he turned 12 and still has today. He likes to tell how he would get a brick of 22s for Christmas and make them last the entire year. A single shot bolt action is a great way to meter out your ammo supplies!

Nice rifle with a great story. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This was also my first gun. My dad bought it for me in 1959. I was 9 years old. I had tons of fun with it. I damn near waxed the stock to death and over oiled it. Thanks for the memory.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Nice rifle, bluzman.

My dad had the Remington 512. Similar rifle but a tube magazine fed bolt action. That was the first gun I learned to shoot with until I bought my own .22 rifle. I got my dad's about three years ago, which had been stored in his basement for thirty years. Cleaned it up and had to put a new rear sight on it. Got a Skinner peep sight and that thing still shoots as nice as it did 50 years ago.

Those old guns hold a lot of memories. I am holding on to mine and will give it to my grandson when he is ready. He is only 18 months old now, so I may have to wait just a little while.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Like others, a 514 was my first rifle. I received it as a Christmas gift in 1964. I still have it and it still looks beautiful.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I still have the 514 that was my first firearm at age 7. It was purchased new by my grandfather in the early 1960's, and my aunt, uncle, and mother all learned to shoot with it. I've had it since 1974, and recently stripped off the scratched and chipped varnish finish on the stained birch stock. I refinished it with tung oil, and it looks pretty good now. Other than the addition of some Uncle Mikes fixed sling swivels around 1980, it is all factory original.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts