Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cat Herder
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided about a month ago that I wanted a high capacity 45 pistol for the bedside gun rather than my SR1911 CMD (a great gun, but I wanted more rounds and the ability to mount a light or laser). I looked at Glocks, Springfield's, and M&Ps, but the RP45 price and capacity caught my attention. At $360 after shipping and transfer, lifetime warranty, I figured why not I'll give it a shot.

Opening the box at the LGS was a little bit of a letdown, the gun felt rough and gritty, the slide seemed like it was hanging up on something, and the three tone finish is a little weird. The barrel and extractor are a matte black, the slide a dark gray, the grip frame glossy black.

Got home, cleaned it (more like hosed it down). The hang up, grittiness, they all smoothed out. The three tone look remained. The grip is kind of a pebbled feel, it's smooth but not slippery. I think on a smaller pistol it would be good for concealment, bad for grip, but on the RP45 there's enough meat to the frame that grip isn't an issue. It is a surprisingly thin grip for 15 rounds of 45 ACP, and easy for me to reach all the controls. I have thick hands but not long fingers.

With all the craziness going on, I've been trying to get to the range for a couple weeks and it's not happened, so I finally just went to the edge of the cornfield behind my house and used an old yard sign. At 25 feet, I could put a whole mag of 15 rounds into about a 1.5" group (really a big ragged hole) and couldn't have literally blamed a miss on "it went through the other hole" if I'd had one. I think with a proper target I could do even better. 75 rounds, zero issues. Operation is smooth. The three tone finish remains. I can fit the RP45 and two mags in my VLine quick access box.

If you haven't figured out, I like this gun so far except for the finish mix. I don't know why they didn't do the barrel and extractor same as the slide. Two tone = good, three = bad.

·
Cat Herder
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully so. I'm not a fan of guns that don't work well.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,916 Posts
Nice home defense option. Keep us updated with how it performs at 45', with hollow points, or anything further.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts