Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1022 w/ tapered barrel in a Tapco Intrafuse T6 stock.

If you can move your barrel in the stock when everything is tight, Try This Mod.

Here's how,

Take a couple different Diameters of Auto Fuel line, 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" Diameter.

Remove the fore grip top, then Take down screw, remove 1022 barrel/receiver assembly out of stock.

In the fore grip area there are ribs (these ribs would be under the barrel when it is installed back into the stock)

The Ribs are where the fuel line will be mounted to.

To do this;

Cut approx. 2.0" long, Note, you may need to trim the length down so that it fits between the stock frame, if 2.0" is to long''

Next slit the 2.0" long fuel hose down the length,

Then spread the hose apart a little bit and slide it over one the ribs, i used two layers of different diameters to get the height i needed

When you have built it up enough, test fit the barrel assembly back into the stock, you should have some resistance, like spring pressure, Some is the key word.

Put the screws back and try it.

Heres some pic

Attachments

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Hmmm, Was the action loose and allowing movement too? If so, better to bed the action and not create what is often unwanted barrel:stock contact.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hmmm, Was the action loose and allowing movement too? If so, better to bed the action and not create what is often unwanted barrel:stock contact.
I've seen that mentioned before but don't fully understand.
Can you explain further or post a link? Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good thinking.

I had the same problem. I went ahead and purchased a .920 heavy bull barrel. The Intrafuse fits much better now and I prefer the look.

DiscoRock

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I've seen that mentioned before but don't fully understand.
Can you explain further or post a link? Thanks.
Typically you want the barrel to not touch the stock. Notice how many firearms now feature floated barrel? It eliminates the vibrations of the stock during firing that naturally occur. While minute, they can effect performance as that vibration also will cause the barrel to vibrate if it's in contact with the stock. The vibrations will be different do to the different materials.
On the other hand, or perhaps in conjunction with floating the barrel - bedding the action. This will create a solid, consistent fitment of the action in the stock. Done properly, it aids in the floating barrel aspect.
Now for the most part, unless you're dealing with the GOOD components, the small increase in performance will be negligible. Worrying about this with the lesser components is lost among the components themselves. Better gains from better components than by worrying about bedding the action.

Try a search (Google is your friend) for a bunch of links pertaining to this.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey BlkHawk73 and others,

I will try to shoot it both ways, but with the movement between the barrel/action and stock you cannot mount a Red dot to the front fore end pic rail and expect any accuracy at all.

BUT!, I have my 10/22 set up with TSR200 Tech Sights and I am Co-Witnessing thru a Bushnell TRS25 Red dot.

I am mounting the dot on the fore end pic rail and did not want any stock to barrel/action movement as this would NOT make for a accuracy shot.

For me all Sights need to be rock solid and accurate, if i get movement between the stock and barrel assembly then my Red dot mounted to the Tapco stock will NOT be accurate.

My other option (since i have the two rear screws in the receiver occupied with the Rear Tech Sight mounted there), and i think i like this one better, is to Cut my TS Receiver Picatini rail in approx. half and mount it using only two screws to the front of the receiver to mount the RED dot, then it would be closer to my eye and more solidly mounted to the metal receiver instead of the plastic stock, and further away, then free float the stock again.

My 10/22 is not a $2k Rifle by any means.

My 10/22 is just a decent shooter, with All KIDD internal parts,

1. Complete Kidd Trigger Job kit
2. Complete Kidd Bolt including Kidd Firing pin and Extractor
3. Kidd Bolt Buffer
4. Kidd Bolt Hold open
5. Kidd Bolt Cocking Handle , Rod & Spring assy.

No new barrel yet, I may look at the KIDD Barrel & Receiver setup for my 10/22, then i will use all the old parts for another 10/22 build

1 - 6 of 6 Posts