Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Sparc 2 on my new Mini 14 and love it but removed it because the ejected brass kept banging it. It was mounted forward on the rail, would probably be worse further back, I think. I'm afraid it would eventually damage the sight it took such a beating. I guess I could try the higher mount but don't like the look. It caused a few jams, as well. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
No, I don't have that problem with scope or red dot, thanks to the Ultimak rail. For a scope, you have to use a long eye relief Scout scope or a pistol scope. For a red dot, you can have the dot sight at any distance from your eye you want. No brass hitting it, no problems getting the bolt out for cleaning because of a rail. In the case of a scope, not having to remove your rear iron sight to clear the scope, and not having to mount the scope so dang high, you no longer have a cheek weld on the stock. Here is my stainless Mini-30 with a Burris FF III (and Picatinny Protector mount), and Mini-14 with Nikon 2.5-8x pistol scope, both mounted out on the Ultimak. Added benefits of the Ultimak are less barrel heat ( acts as a heat sink), and added accuracy from helping to stiffen the barrel.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well I have the TRS25 mounted above the receiver on my mini. I found that by milling the rail out some more gives the brass a little more room to exit the gun . It also wont bounce against the rail and hit the optic. I feel that the rail just needs a little more relief.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Glad you spoke up, Tony. I'd forgot about how you modified your rail. Easiest and cheapest way to go for the OP.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I did it with a Mill, But a dremel will work just fine. Tape of the areas to remove material and take your time . I think you will see how much better you gun will operate. You will also be able to remove the bolt with out any hassel..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well I have the TRS25 mounted above the receiver on my mini. I found that by milling the rail out some more gives the brass a little more room to exit the gun . It also wont bounce against the rail and hit the optic. I feel that the rail just needs a little more relief.
Is that the stock rail that came with the mini?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts