Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stripped down my Bisley .45 yesterday to prep for Cerakoting. When it came down to taking out the frame mounted firing pin, I removed the roll pin that angles up through the recoil shield ( it came out in 2 pieces, so I assume it needs to be replaced). But I can't figure out how to get the firing pin and spring out. There has to be a way, if someone broke one, to replace it, but Google searches have turned up nothing for me. If it wasn't for the spring inside, which baking in the oven would not be good for, I would just leave it in. Any info on this ?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Well first off I don't think the temps used in Cerakote will harm your spring. The gassing stage is only 300 degrees, curing is only 250. Beyond that the ends of that pin are finished to blend in with the recoil shield after it is inserted. How will you finish the ends after the frame has been Cerakoted? And even if you could without harming the Cerakote finish you would have two round shiny dots on your frame - is that the look you're after? I would have left the pin in place to start with.....

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
It's a good idea to remove the firing pin when cerakoting Ruger revolvers.

Since you have the cross pin removed - it's not a roll pin, just a solid pin - all you need to do now is press out the recoil plate and firing pin. Use a pin punch and press - lightly tap if you need to - from the rear on the firing pin. It'll push the pin, spring, and recoil plate from the rear to the front.

The FEW times I've done Ruger revolvers (DA & SA) with Cerakote, I paint the pins with a little touch up after doing the cylinder frame with the recoil plate removed.

Since you're working on an SA, you have a bit more liberty to work. You can install the pin before cerakoting, dress the end to match the recoil shield, then cut a fine slot in the OPPOSITE END. Cerakote the frame with the pin in place, push it out from the loading gate side, then when you push it into place, again from the loading gate side, you can use a small screwdriver to turn the dressed end to the proper orientation. That sounds complicated, but it's really not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts