Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new MK III Hunter and love the gun but not the sights. I do not like the v-notch rear sight.

Will the typical Ruger rear target square notch sight and front solid post attach to the Hunter without modifications? If so, can the target sights be purchased. I did not find them on the shop Ruger web page. I guess I could have looked in the wrong place.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yes they will, but I believe Ruger will send you a replacement square notch blade for your existing rear sight if you call them. Keep the fiber optic front sight.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called Ruger in AZ and the CS rep said a new square notch blade will be in the mail tomorrow - at no cost to me. Gotta love Ruger customer service.

Thanks for the insight HighStandard.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I received, free of charge from Ruger, a "square-notch" rear sight blade to replace the original "v-notch" rear sight blade for my MK III Hunter. The sight blade was equipped with decent installation instructions and it was quick and easy to change the blades.

I took the pistol to the range, zeroed the sights (it was already very close to right on). I was very pleased with the results of the new sight. It provided the same sight alignment and sight picture as my other MK's with square notch sights. The pistol is scary accurate.

Ruger Customer Service comes through again.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Yeah, I tried to like the V-notch sight but I just didn't shoot consistently with it. The square notch is where it's at. Glad it worked out for you, OP.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just purchased a MkIII Hunter the other day but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, just fondle it. I've read where people weren't real happy with the V-Notch rear sight. I may have to give Ruger a call as well. Glad it worked out for you.

I have a MkII with the same length (6-7/8") barrel, but the slab sides. It's an awesome shooting gun. I hope the Hunter turns out as well.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Certainly, try a few outings with the V-notch first. I shot several hundred rounds through mine right along with my MK III Competition. My accuracy with the Competition was well above that of the Hunter. I knew the Hunter was capable of better results than I was getting. Since I changed the rear sight blade, the Hunter is a magnificent shooter.

The Hunter was always great I just had to get the right sights for me on top of that pistol. The V-notch might be perfect for you. So give them a fair chance before you give up on them. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts