Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if there are aftermarket rear sights I can mount on my Mark 2? I took out the knock out rear sights to mount a red dot scope on it which works very well, but I'm constantly monkeying around with my gunz and might put the red dot on my shotgun deer gun. A gunsmith told me that I would have to put the knock outs (non adjustable) back on because they don't make any other sights for that model. Any idea's?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
madtown, The problem with changing to adjustable sights is not the rear sight ... it's the front sight. Many adjustable rear sights including the MK II Ruger sight or a host of rear sights made for the standard Colt dovetail in a 1911 will work with a little modification to your dovetail slot. Problem is .... you have to change the front sight blade to make it much taller, otherwise it's going to shoot way high. The MK IIs with fixed sights have a pinned in blade whereas the MK IIs with adjustable sights have a screw-on front sight assembly.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Iowegan. I guess I will just leave it as it is. It is really pretty accurate with the red dot, in fact very accurate. A far sight better than the fixed sight set up on it originally. I'll get out soon and run some thru and send a picture of the groups. The only thing I was torn about is I had to have the Mark 2 drilled and tapped to accomadate the sight mount. That meant altering the pistol from it's original condition. My wife gave me the pistol for my birthday 23 years ago so I figured I'm never gonna sell it so I went ahead and did it.

·
16,471 Posts
madtown, Drilling and tapping doesn't really lower the value of a MK II because the last couple years of the run, they were factory D&T. If you had a scarce model (none that I know of in MK IIs) then yes, it would affect collector value.

I traded up from an older MK II to a new MK III .... primarily for a better magazine release and the D&T receiver. Later I bought both a 2X scope and a red dot. Love the Millett red dot ... the scope is OK but only from a bench rest. I have mine set up where I can remove and replace either the scope or red dot or just use open sights ... all without losing zero.

I agree .... if you're happy with the red dot, don't mess with the iron sights.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Iowegan, thanks for the advice. No, it's not scarce model, just basic mk2. How do you remove the red dot or scope and not lose zero? Sounds to good to be true. What kind of set up is that? By the way, just bought a single six yesterday. Got it used. Whoever traded it in didn't use it much at all. The Mag cylinder was still in the plastic bag. Absolutely perfect condition. Been lookin for one for years. Put my stimulus check to work. Also bought a Bersa Thunder 380, and a Llama 357 mag in SS.

·
16,471 Posts
madtown, I used the Ruger steel base and rings. They come with a slab side or you can buy them in blue or stainless from Ruger or Brownell's. Break out your wallet ... they ain't cheap. They add some weight to the pistol, which I don't mind in a target gun, but the best feature is the mount is so repeatable that you can remove a scope or red dot then reinstall it later and not lose zero.

Here's a photo of my KMKIII512 with a 2X scope and the Ruger steel Base & rings.

Here's the Ruger Steel Base ... not a Weaver style http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FASRR...I,+MK+III+&+22/45+Autoloading+Pistols&store=y

Here's the Steel Rings: http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FASRR...I,+MK+III+&+22/45+Autoloading+Pistols&store=y

·
Registered
683 Posts
I agree with Iowegan, besides by using the Ruger base, you will drill & tap to the factory 'specs' ( 3 holes) and this will NOT devalue your gun in any way , it will look like like just another factory job, if done correctly.............

·
Registered
239 Posts
You can also try one ragged hole sights you replace just the rear blade its a peep type sight replace the front with fiber optic its a killer combo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts