Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The factory Rosewood grip on my new NV .357 are pretty to look at, but are too thin and not as comfortable as those on my old 3 screw BH or Colt SAA.

Was lookin' at the Ruger Shop and saw these Altimonts, which appear to be a bit thicker in the panels:

Ruger New Vaquero® Rosewood Spanish Dymond Grips-ShopRuger

Anybody have experience with these - more substantial, good fit to the trigger guard/backstrap frame?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
The factory Rosewood grip on my new NV .357 are pretty to look at, but are too thin and not as comfortable as those on my old 3 screw BH or Colt SAA.

Was lookin' at the Ruger Shop and saw these Altimonts, which appear to be a bit thicker in the panels:

Ruger New Vaquero® Rosewood Spanish Dymond Grips-ShopRuger

Anybody have experience with these - more substantial, good fit to the trigger guard/backstrap frame?
Don't forget that the grip frame on your NV is only .437" in width whereas the grip frame on your old BH is .500". So you need a substantially thicker grip panel to make up the difference.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Those are thicker but not rosewood. They are 'plywood' (laminated), in a rose wood color.

Do yourself a favor a get real rose wood, perfectly fit custom grips in any thickness you want from Cary above.

Your Colt grip frame is also .500" in width, not 7/16" like the Vaquero. So if you want to duplicate the thickness of the grip on your Colt that you like, measure the Colt grips mounted on the grip frame and provide that total thickness to Cary to give you a true exact overall thickness match for your Vaquero.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I hate to be a naysayer, but I have had two sets of the Altamont grips, and they were both unsatisfactory as far as fit goes. The area behind the triggerguard was squared off, and was uncomfortable to shoot after a while. Nice looking, but I wouldn't buy them again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts