Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I recall correctly, the Davidson KP944TH that I once owned had a teflon coated slide, Houge grips, and Trigicon sights. I currently have my eye on a Special Edition two-toned P944 with Houge grips, seller unsure which sights are on the weapon and a starting bid which is a bit overpriced IMO. BUT there is also a stainless finish KP944 with Houge grips. I can purchase Trigicon or Maprolite sights on the same website. My quandary is the latter looks cleaner the former a bit more rough. Both are on that brokerage firm for guns. (Wasn't sure if I was allowed to name other sites)
I have a musician friend who will not buy a guitar he can't hold first. The community's guidance would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
I have bought a number of items from GunBroker. Sometimes having never actually seen or handled that model before buying.

There are a lot of variables in guitars, so yes a musician will want to try the guitar first before buying. The better the musician's ear, the more these differences will stand out.

Other than the range of normal manufacturing tolerances, the pistols will be mostly the same. The inspection will be more does it match the seller's opinion of the condition. If you know you like the feel of a particular pistol and the price seems reasonable to you, then go for it.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Do you have an opinion on the two different variations? Special edition vs stainless finish that I can make my own special edition?

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
More than half my collection of P series have been bought off of GB. It is a unnerving endeavor to say the least, fortunately for me i have never had buyers remorse. I'd go with the Special Edition model ... fyi

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
I don't have experience with P94 / P944 pistols. The first pistol I bought was the mighty P89. That was nearly 30 years ago. Absolutely reliable.

·
Administrator
22,174 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with the P Series but I have owned a P94 in .40 S&W that was a police overrun from the mid-90's when I had my FFL. For years Ruger never even listed the Serial number but now they have it listed as a P944 and it is a safety/decock model. What I can tell you is it is dead on at 25 yards with a 155 gr JHP and is as accurate as I am. The only failure I ever had was when I tried to feed a pregnant reload into it and it would not chamber. Certainly not the pistols fault. Other than that it is flawless. It has the stainless slide and the only modification I have made is Hogue rubber grips as they just feel better in my hands. As to which to buy I'll leave it to those that have far broader experience than I to advise you.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You can message the sellers to ask questions. I bought a nice 944 two-tone off GB and the seller was very helpful, going through the gun for me. I also purchased a P91 there and the seller completely surprised me by disassembling and photographing the gun. So far, I've purchased an 89, 90, 91 and the 944, all on GunBroker. (Yeah, got bit by the P Bug, lol.)

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can message the sellers to ask questions. I bought a nice 944 two-tone off GB and the seller was very helpful, going through the gun for me. I also purchased a P91 there and the seller completely surprised me by disassembling and photographing the gun. So far, I've purchased an 89, 90, 91 and the 944, all on GunBroker. (Yeah, got bit by the P Bug, lol.)
Thank you, a very informative (and humorous) reply. I can understand your pain.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The P944 is a solid gun. I use mine as my home defense weapon,loaded up w/ federal HST's.Mine is a double action only ex law enforcement gun.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Here is an ad from the mid 1990's for the Police P94's . They came in 9mm &40 cal. I like how they say it's a "trim package"......yeah right. LOL
Screenshot 2019-08-29 at 7.18.18 PM.png

·
Registered
548 Posts
The P94/P944 is an excellent gun, a product-improved and strengthened P90. There were essentially 2 major production variants-those initial ones with the swingling link barrels, and the later ones with the camblock. For .40, I would strogly recommend the camblock arraingement, as I believe the re-engineering was done to provide long-term durability and longevity. It can be physically distinguished from the earlier variant by the addition of a polymer blocking/filler piece on the left side.

Best, Jon

1 - 20 of 25 Posts