Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Ruger Blackhawk 6.5 inch 357 magnum today, it's rough...it wasn't taken care of. There is nothing functionally wrong, but the grips were shot, and cracked, the bluing is dull, and I had to really work hard on some spots that had rust...I used CLP and a brass brush...I shot some rounds through it, it works fine..glad I didn't pay a lot. I also put some spare Ajax ivory grips on it...

Now I have question..is it possible to polish the bluing that's on it?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Best way to get rust off bluing is 000 or finer steel wool and oil (doesn't matter what, gun oil or even 3-in-1). That's about the best you can do.

You'll never get it back to a high gloss blue. First all it's damaged beyond that and secondly it was never finished that way to begin with.

You can try car wax or a total reblue job, but for the most part you've got yourself a real solid shooter.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just wanted to do as much as possible without re-bluing it...I've never owned a single action 357, the heavier barrel really helps control it...I like SAs, they just just point well..

I also had an old Hunter 1100 holster that fit it well,,,,I bought it for a 45 Colt Blackhawk, that I never ended up buying...I'm like that...I even have ammo for guns I don't own..

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Shoot it! I like old Blackhawks with some character.......some pics would be nice!

·
Registered
774 Posts

·
Corps Commander NGV
6,098 Posts
I have the same gun, in the same condition. Nearly 15yrs ago I walked into my LGS looking for a bargain and spotted a well used 6.5" NMBH .357 on a bottom shelf. It was tight and functionally sound as well as priced right. It came home with me and has become my most used revolver. I have other prettier and more powerful Ruger revolvers, but my beat up Blackhawk just makes the perfect holster gun for this outdoorsman. It shoots so well I keep debating sending her back to Ruger to be made pretty again. Then I bang it on the truck door while opening a gate and am glad one more scratch doesn't matter on this workhorse.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I only paid $300.00..maybe too much, but the owner is a friend...he got the gun at a police auction and never did anything with it. I really don't believe this gun has been shot a lot...just uncared for until now.

Eventually I want a Tom Threepersons holster from El Paso Saddlery for it..

It will go in the deer woods with me tomorrow...

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great, and seemingly uniform, patina on that Ruger. I would leave it, even though I usually prefer to touch up bad spots with Oxpho, after steel wooling, degreasing, and warming the steel.

Good hunting!

Regards,

Dyson

·
Registered
774 Posts
I only paid $300.00..maybe too much, but the owner is a friend...he got the gun at a police auction and never did anything with it. I really don't believe this gun has been shot a lot...just uncared for until now.

Eventually I want a Tom Threepersons holster from El Paso Saddlery for it..

It will go in the deer woods with me tomorrow...
I'm not sure that you paid too much . . . unconverted used but "unabused" old 3 screws are awfully hard to pass up.

·
Registered
774 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts