Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know it isn't a Ruger, but I thought I would post my current project. This rifle was given to me. I was actually doing some Duracoat work for someone, and when I was done, he says "you're welcome to have this since you work on this kinda stuff". It has been sitting in the corner of one of my cabinets until last week. I am currently on temporary lay-off, so I started working on a few things I had forgotten about.
First off, I checked the bore to see if it was salvageable. First look down the barrel was discouraging...looked bad. I used some "Ed's Red" and a bore brush...and WOW! It cleaned up very nicely. Just dirt, dust and lots of lead and copper fouling. It cleaned up nearly perfectly.
So I set out on the rescue. As this is only a $100 to $150 rifle in mint condition, I don't want to put much money in it...but I have plenty of time. The stock was in sad shape. All of the grain was raised. I don't think there was any type of finish or oil left on it. I sanded and steamed a few dents out. I like the dark walnut so I decided not to stain it, simply oil. It was so dry, the stock soaked up 6 or 7 coats before I was satisfied with the way it looked.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next, I was going to bead blast the barrel, receiver and small parts. It must be too cold out. I couldn't get the blaster to pick up media (same problem last winter...works fine in +60* weather). Anyway, I ended up cleaning up all of the rust with a wire wheel and good ol' elbow grease. Worked fine, but looks of pitting in the receiver and barrel. That will all be worked out with the Duracoat. I will be using 870 Black, since that is what I have left over from another project. Sorry about the blurry pics. I was using my phone on the "rusty" pics.
I will try to update tomorrow after the Duracoat.
Oh...if anyone knows where I can score a floor plate and assembly bolt, please let me know. Numerich shows them, but no longer available. I was able to pick up the mag at a gun show the other day...so 2 parts from being complete!

ok...didn't realize I can't post any more pics. grrr. I'll figure something out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok...got the metal parts Duracoated today. They turned out pretty nice. I will have to let them cure for 24 hrs, but I will have pics of it together tomorrow afternoon.:D

update...here are some before and after pics

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nice save on that one. I'll remember that durocoat stuff. The wood didn't even look like walnut...more like birch. Amazing turn around. Gary

·
Reloader
4,138 Posts
Very good job..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nice, another one saved!

·
Super Moderator
21,494 Posts
As a bonus, you might be very surprised at how well those old Marlin bolts shoot. I've had a couple and they were amazing.
The only 22 rifle I currently own. I bought it new when I was in high school, mail order. Saw an ad in a magazine so filled it out and sent the $35 in and they sent it to me. As a kid I put the linseed to the stock. The bluing is in good shape and it has a few character marks but still looks good. I can't begin to count how many woodchucks have meant an untimely demise because of it. I got some groove mounts and 1" rings and threw an old Redfield Widefield scope that came off a 30/06. It is a shooter.

Congrats on the project and now get out and enjoy it. They are shooters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts