Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm done buying firearms in 2012. I'm planning my single purchase for next year, I want a 10mm. Because I want only one 10mm pistol, I want to take my time.

The 10mm pistols that I'm not interested in:

Glock 20/20c : The Glock large frame doesn't fit my hand.
1911 10mm: I just don't like 1911's in anything other than .45 ACP​

I'm just gathering up models to research. I see EAA/Tanfoglio offers a Witness in 10mm (a beefed up CZ clone).

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Before you rule out the Glock completely, try a Gen 4.

10mm-firearms.com has a pretty complete list. Try poking around there. Perhaps a wheel gun?

·
Registered
73 Posts
+1 on checking out Gen4 Glocks. My 3rd. Gen. M20 shoots well and is the most economical of the choices for this caliber. I also have a Lone Wolf aftermarket barrel for lead bullets. Be aware that it is necessary to research factory ammo to get true 10mm level of performance. Got a box of factory 10mm's after getting the G20 to discover on chronographing that, performance wise, it was a "FBI Load." Also have a 1076 S&W that is a good gun. Smith's are pricey now these 10's are out of production. To me, 10mm is a reloading proposition but well worth the effort.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before you rule out the Glock completely, try a Gen 4.

10mm-firearms.com has a pretty complete list. Try poking around there. Perhaps a wheel gun?
I have held a Gen4 21, and I'm a former G21SF owner. I've shot a G20. That particular size Glock frame doesn't fit me well. The other reason I don't want to go Glock is because I handload/reload. I don't want to have to spend the $$$ on a Glock and another handful of cash for a 3rd party barrel.

Thanks for the website tip. I'm going to head over there.

If I were to go wheelgun and wanted the power, I'd go .44Mag and be done with it. Dang... just added a .44Mag to next year's list. LMAO.

Be aware that it is necessary to research factory ammo to get true 10mm level of performance. Got a box of factory 10mm's after getting the G20 to discover on chronographing that, performance wise, it was a "FBI Load." Also have a 1076 S&W that is a good gun. Smith's are pricey now these 10's are out of production. To me, 10mm is a reloading proposition but well worth the effort.
That's been my limited experience too Roundball. Some off the shelf factory ammo felt no more powerful than a .40 S&W. Then I shot a couple rounds of Buffalo Bore(?), and the difference was night and day.

I'm a newer hand loader. I'll be handloading/reloading 10mm.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am also interested in how your endevor turns out. Have been looking at the 10mm for a while and been leaning toward the eaa witness. My uncle has an old delta elite and I enjoy the feel of it but since you have ruled out the 1911 its out. Though I have also been looking for an old ruger buckeye in 10mm/38-40, but thats because I am a single action junkie.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I traded for an EAA Witness Elite Match a couple of years ago. Very comfortable grip unless you have smaller hands. No issues with reliability and it proved to be quite accurate. Being all steel the recoil is sharp but not excessive due to its weight. I would not hesitate to recommend one. I love Glock, but the 10mm and 45 models are just not that comfortable in my hand.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The 10mm pistols that I'm not interested in:

Glock 20/20c : The Glock large frame doesn't fit my hand.
1911 10mm: I just don't like 1911's in anything other than .45 ACP​

Any suggestions?

You've eliminated the three best 10mm's on the market.
The Glock 20, The Colt Delta Elite and the Kimber Stainless Target II.

I suggest you reconsider your preferences or pass on buying a 10mm.

I have a Glock 20 and a Delta Elite, both are outstanding pistols.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have exactly what you don't want, a Glock-20 & a Colt Delta Elite. It would seem that the Tanfoglio is about the only other option available for you. I use my Glock-20 exclusively for whitetail. The Delta Elite is my occasional range gun and I own it more for it's novelty value than for anything else. I love 1911's in anything from 9mm to .40S&W and .45acp to 10mm. Maybe by the time you're ready to purchase one next year there may be another option for you but I'd say that you'll be limited to the Tanfoglio if you really don't want the Glock or a 1911.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have just a couple. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. In 1911's the Kimber and Dan Wesson are neck and neck. If you want to EDC it probably the G29. I love my Witness guns though!

·
Registered
53 Posts
i would suggest one that you can swap a .40 cal barrel out for it for cheaper shooting (glock 20), even though you said you arent interested.

also, doubletap, buffalo bore, cor-bon, and UNDERWOOD all make extremely good ammo for 10mm. underwood being the cheapest i believe of the 4 i mentioned. definately worth checking into.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Not meaning to hijack the OP but do have something for consideration. For those you you with the EAA Witness in 10mm have you heard problems of "cracks" developing on either the frame or slide on the steel models? I think I remember hearing of problems which caused me to go to the 10mm short (40S&W).

·
Registered
505 Posts
I shot my brothers Kimber Eclipse Custom II 10mm and really liked it.I don't intend to get one but it's mighty fine in my opinion.

Edit:Just saw that you're not interested in a 1911...Ooops Carry on.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don't know how you intend to use your 10mm but, if I were you, Glock would be my choice. Why? They never fail to fire, wellll, how about 99.9999% of the time.

Or, do a custom build & spec it out yourself on a 1911 frame.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I would get a S&W 610 if you can fing one,
then you do not have to change anything to switch
from 10mm to .40 and can mix them in the clip.

·
Freedom, Thank a VET!!!
1,625 Posts
The GLOCK model 20, has the least amount of recoil of all other 10mm caliber pistols on the market. I have 3 of these 10mm in model 20 Glocks. One is a Dillion 25 or 9mm on top a 10mm case. It is very very fast hits harder than Smoky Joe Frazier did while in the ring.

The Glock model 20 "10mm" also has the best track record and I personally consider it the very best in a CCW tool for self-defense. A 165 grn bullet doing 1400-fps, with 760 pounds of kinetic energy Wow!!!
I suppose you could go the route of the 200 grn bullet doing 1260-fps and penetration that will shoot through a bull standing sideways at 30 ft.:eek:;):cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts