Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have their Hawkeye restocked or built into a custom rifle? How did it turn out? Got any pictures?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I’ve restocked literally over a hundred M77 MkII’s and Hawkeyes. I’ve also rebarreled several of my own for various uses. What specific things are you wanting to know?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Stocks don’t really improve accuracy, they only enhance shooter fit, and they can only degrade accuracy if they don’t fit poorly, or if they offer variable pressure points.

With the M77 MkII’s and Hawkeyes, it’s pretty simple:

1) Free float the barrel
2) Pillar block and glass bed the action
3) Free float the mag box
4) Optional, but I recommend it highly, improve the trigger pull weight at least by installing Ernie’s spring, or replacing with a Jard, Timney, SpecTech, or Rifle Basix trigger

Many ‘Smith’s turn away bedding work on Ruger’s because they can keep busy with other models, and the angled front action screw requires extra work in the bedding process, compared to a tube-action with perpendicular action screws. But in reality, it’s really not an issue - just takes time and understanding.

Most Ruger’s aren’t properly free floated, rather most will have irregular contact and pressure throughout the length of the forend. Blocking and bedding the action coupled with free floating has ALWAYS improved the group size of the rifles I’ve restocked. The magnitude of the improvement depends upon the magnitude of the imperfection in the original stock fit. Equally, the magazine box can create a pressure point under the action, and is very easily relieved.

Most Ruger M77 Hawkeyes I have handled will produce sub-MOA groups when the above 3 steps are satisfied, all for a couple hours of work and only $30-50 worth of supplies - given an appropriate bullet and load to achieve this. Naturally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts