Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are pictures of the APX ammo. (1) You can see where the bullet was chipped when it entered the chamber from the mag. (2)Also there is the bullet after it went through (2) 1 1/4 inch thick phone books and penetrated 3/4 inch deep in salt treated 6x6. (3) residue left in barrel after 1 round fired.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here is a better picture of the chipped round after it entered the chamber from the mag.

The above pictures are the results of 2 ARX rounds, 1 being chambered and 1 fired through my Lcp.

I don't feel the ARX ammo is ready for Prime Time being fired through an Lcp. The bullet did hold its shape entering the phone books and the salt treated lumber.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I was checking out reviews of the Precision One .380acp 90 gr XTP ammo yesterday.
Is this ammo the same type of design ( 3 prong twist at the bullet head)?

Reviews were very good for penetration & expansion capability.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I was checking out reviews of the Precision One .380acp 90 gr XTP ammo yesterday.

Is this ammo the same type of design ( 3 prong twist at the bullet head)?

Reviews were very good for penetration & expansion capability.

I don't think so. XTP is a hollow point bullet made by Hornady.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The bullet did hold its shape entering the phone books and the salt treated lumber.
If I want a bullet to hold it's shape I will shoot ball ammo.
What kind of bullet metal chips ?

I want some kind of bullet upset, specially in a sub cal. like a 380

Need to know more about this, keep us informed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The bullet is made of a composite material mixed with copper or brass. The shinny material on the barrel is the copper/brass but the darker brown composite is hard to see. Here is a better picture of what the ARX does to the barrel after firing 12 rounds. The flakes are also inside the Lcp frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My concern is that some of the chips occurred from magazine to barrel feed process.
Can't really be considered much of a self defense round if there's no expansion.
You might as well carry your plinking ammo & save a ton of money
Is that type of bullet design, X or twist type head, prone to chipping?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a "smiley" on a fmj round which is caused by the round entering the chamber. On the ARX ammo the bullet shatters when entering the chamber.

I contacted Ruger's 'Poly Case Ammo Division' on 11/12/2015 and told them of this problem. I offered pictures and examples but they were NOT interested. They kept apologizing and they sent me a free box of ARX ammo. Again these pictures are the result of the 2nd box of ammo.

One round of ARX had a 3/16 inch piece of the composite material wedged between the casing and the barrel as the round was leaving the mag. and entering the chamber. I had to use a small screw driver to force the casing out of the barrel.

PLEASE USE CAUTION WHEN FIRING THIS AMMO...see pictures.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts