Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new holster and the retention strap that goes over the pistol is made from plastic and doesn't work well. Is it necessary?

·
Registered
134 Posts
What gun ? what holster, any other retention on the holster ?
How is it carried ? What is the purpose for the gun ? Hunting ? self defense ? range or hiking ? Very difficult to answer. How do YOU feel about it ?
the standard Lawyer answer is ---do not remove the strap---

I carry a full size 1911 45 ACP IWB Leather holster, no strap, just the screw to help tighten the holster.
it's Not going to fall out. It can be pulled out. My other outside the pants that is more visible is a level 3 retention, no one is going to pull it out cept me.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Contact the manufacture and see if it can be replaced as defective? Just cutting it off may not be wise as it was designed to hold the gun secure and reply less on the holster fit alone to hold the gun.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
A simple test I would do is UNLOAD THE GUN, place the unloaded gun in the holster, leave the strap unattached and turn the gun/holster unit upside down over a bed, sofa or cushioned chair. If it falls out too easily, I might not be inclined to mess with the original design. Which, BTW, helps explain why some of the generic one-size-fits-most holsters ain't so good!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The weapon is a LC9. Thank you for your insight. I have to send it back. Pistol on safe-empty chamber- I turned it over on the bed and the weight of the pistol & ammo made the pistol fall from holster. It's made by Pro Tech

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.