Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do most of you guy's use a revolver for HD or do you use a bottom feeder for HD and leave the wheelguns in the safe? any concerns with todays home invasions with mulitple invaders.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
It depends for me. Lately, I have had the bottom feeders available. I carry double-stack pistols more, so they are usually left for action. Back in NY, I generally had a GP ready to go.

For now, I will stay with my bottom feeders. They're too reliable and pack extra insurance. Reloads are as easy as dropping a mag and inserting a new one. Plus, accessory rails allow for lights or even lasers.

Love my revolvers, but I also love my 'feeders. ;) :)

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I use both and a few 12 gauge shotguns around the place too!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Revolver and 12ga. pump for my bump in the middle of the night needs. YMMV

·
Registered
644 Posts
My wife has a revolver in her night stand. I have my Glock 17 (duty gun) and LCR 9mm (BUG) on my night stand when I come home from work. So, I have both. I prefer my revolvers, but the Glock doesn't go in and out of the safe much with as much as I work.

·
Registered
405 Posts
First off, I lay down spike belts in my driveway. Next I have a platoon of trained zombies patrolling my yard, which is mined, of course. Next up is the crocodile infested moat. If you get past this, there are the machine gun nests......overhead four A10 Warthogs are omnipresent.
**** I'm lonely! Nobody ever visits....
Lyle

·
Super Moderator
21,417 Posts
I can't make up my mind between an SP101 and a GP100 so I have them both ready to rock and roll. Both stocked with Buffalo Bore 158 gr 38 +P's. Last year I put a laser on the SP so in low light that would probably be the go to and the GP the Brooklyn reload.

·
Banned
365 Posts
Revolvers for me. NO FTF, safety, mag release dropping the mag unintentionally, or other doodads to fiddle with before I pull the trigger. Revolvers are just more 'user friendly' to me in this situation.

·
Emperor
885 Posts
I have a GP100 but rely on semi-automatic pistols for carry or self-defense.

I infrequently carry but when I do I feel a compact size auto-loader is easier to conceal than a revolver.

Auto-loaders have become quite reliable in recent decades if you stick to a good model and brand, so the "reliability edge" of revolvers is not what it used to be. Yes, there are more ways to slip up with a pistol, such as forgetting to chamber a round or flip off a safety, but these are issues that can be negated with training. Traditional double action (DA/SA) pistols with safeties can safely be carried with the safety off so you don't have to remember to take it off safe.

If you don't like safeties there are plenty of pistols without a manual safety. Most striker-fired pistols do not have them. If you want a pistol without a safety but with a long trigger pull, there are good DAO pistol models out there.

I do practice shooting double action quite a bit. A usually shoot my GP100 double action, and I own several DA/SA pistols. I work on the transition between the first DA shot and the subsequent SA shots quite a bit. But I am not quite as accurate shooting DA as SA. Now with a double action revolver in a self-defense scenario, the odds are very high that all shots would need to be fired double action. With the DA/SA pistol only the first shot is DA. Subsequent SA followup shots can be made much more quickly, and in my hands at least, more accurately.

Finally, there is the ammunition issue. I am going to leave out revolvers chambered for rimless pistol cartridges, 45 long Colt, .44 Remington Magnum because they are either relatively less common or unsuitable IMO for self-defense due to over-penetration (.44 Magnum). That leaves 38 Special and .357 Magnum. 38 Special +P is a decent self-defense round and there are JHPs that expand reliably like the Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P, but its penetration is still toward the lower end of acceptable. .357 Magnum is, of course, a proven and potent round for self-defense but I would not care to have to fire it in the dark, in a closed room, or from an automobile. And despite the fact that I shoot .357 Magnum fairly often I frankly don't think I could control it as well for followup shots as I can 9mm Para, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP.

And small frame revolvers that are easy to conceal are not pleasant to shoot .357 Magnum from, IMO.

These are simply my reasons for choosing an auto-loader over a revolver for SD. I am certainly not knocking anyone who chooses a revolver for carry or home defense. If I were in an area where open outdoor carry was permitted, especially if it was rural and inhabited with medium to large-sized 4 footed critters I might well choose to carry my .357 Magnum.

·
Registered
468 Posts
3" GP100 on my night stand. 2.25" SP101 in the guest bedroom at the other end of the house. Beretta 92F in the living room while watching TV in the evenings. The Beretta is set up with one in the chamber, hammer down, safety off, so just pick it up and pull the trigger in double-action, just like the revolvers.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
The main 'home gun' is a 4" bbl .357 GP100, blue w/ adjustable sight and standard Lett grip. It is stoked with .38 Spl +P lead HP (old FBI load) rounds.
I'm with the 'ready to go' philosophy, and it is easy to see at a glance if a revolver is loaded or not. Additionally, my wife is definitely not a 'gun type', so if need be, the DA six-shooter is likely the best to have if she ever needs to fire it.

I think it is hard to beat a 4" DA six-shot .38 Spl or .357 revolver as a basic defensive arm.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts