Ruger Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great points Firescout.

The revolver era (in law enforcement) did linger on a little longer into the early 90s. Some departments kept them longer than that. The GP100 (GPNY .38 DAO model) was even the last mid size revolver ordered by the NYPD. Production costs played a major role in dropping the Six Series. Bill Ruger was on record saying he "didn't make a dime" on those guns. Personally, I think that was a bit of an exaggeration. Six Series sales were strong, and they were cheaper to produce than a comparable S&W or Colt. However, Mr. Ruger saw a chance to increase profits and took it. This is still a controversial decision amongst revolver fans. If you are looking for a mid size Ruger that balances like a Model 15 or 67, the 70s/early 80s "skinny barrel" Security Six models would be the way to go. All of the Six Series revolvers are fantastic and I hope you have fun shooting that one.

As for the small frame SP101, Ruger would be very wise to make that frame revision with all of the other six shot, small D frame size revolvers that have been introduced over the last few years. The market is trending in that direction, and many folks (like myself) have always been frustrated that Ruger created a D frame sized revolver with only five chambers. It would perfectly fill that gap between the LCR and GP100, and prevent Ruger from losing sales to Taurus, Charter, Kimber, and Colt. With both a J frame sized option (the LCR) and this LONG OVERDUE change, Ruger could expand their carry revolver market share even further.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
With respect to the GP Match Champion I think if Ruger wanted to they could trim perhaps 2 more ounces by going to a thinner profile barrel and by reducing the top strap some to more closely match their fixed sight models. If done to the 4" SP adjustable sighted model an ounce or so could be reduced especially if they went to a 6 shot model albeit this would be offset very slightly by the larger frame and cylinder. Personally, I would really like to see a STAINLESS 3" SP with adjustable sights and it being a 6 shot model. Why wait for the 6 shot D frame market to get saturated with competitors products and attendant lower demand?

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
With respect to the GP Match Champion I think if Ruger wanted to they could trim perhaps 2 more ounces by going to a thinner profile barrel and by reducing the top strap some to more closely match their fixed sight models. If done to the 4" SP adjustable sighted model an ounce or so could be reduced especially if they went to a 6 shot model albeit this would be offset very slightly by the larger frame and cylinder. Personally, I would really like to see a STAINLESS 3" SP with adjustable sights and it being a 6 shot model. Why wait for the 6 shot D frame market to get saturated with competitors products and attendant lower demand?
If Ruger ever produces a six-shot version of the SP101, then all sorts of barrel length and sight options could easily follow. I like what Ruger has done for the LCR/LCRx series, with steel or alloy frames, two barrel lengths, hammerless or external hammer, and a decent selection of cartridges.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts