Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What seems to be the consensus for the best oil for DA revolver inards ? I used Hoppes in the past, but recently switched to Rem-Oil because it's much lighter. What's your opinions ??:)

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
For my S/A and D/A revolvers I use Hoppe's No.9 solvent for cleaning and Rem-Oil for lube. Seems to do the job for my purposes.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hoppes 9 for cleaning and Mobil 1 synthetic for lube. Why pay for ounces when you can buy a quart that will last you a lifetime. If it can protect an engine, even hiigh performance engines, for tens of thousands of miles I feel it's okay for my guns. And it's never given me a problem.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I've always stuck with Hoppes solvents and lubes. They've been kicking around since 1903, so they must be doing something right...besides, the smell of Hoppes #9 is like perfume in my nostrils!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I don't know about using Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. I personally think it's silly. Here are some of my reasons why.

I own 7 firearms and spend a decent amount of time at the range, by the way.

First point: I have a small 4 ounce bottle that cost about $7 that I've used for about 4 years now on all my guns. That's about 50 cents a year. If you can't afford that, how do you afford ammo?!?

Second point: motor oil is designed for use in a closed (sealed) engine compartment system. A firearm isn't a closed system. So, it makes sense to me that motor oil engineers don't worry about attracting dust, dirt, etc., because there isn't any in a closed system.

Third point: motor oil is engineered for extremely high temperatures under pressure.

Fourth point: gun oil is engineered to perform under the typical temperatures and lubrication needs of a firearm. It is designed to penetrate the tight spaces on a firearm. It is designed to not have a tendency to attract and hold dust, dirt, etc. It is designed, in other words, for a firearm.

Would you buy a gallon of gun oil and use it in your Mercedes Benz? Why not?

Any quality gun oil should fit the bill nicely.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:)
For my S/A and D/A revolvers I use Hoppe's No.9 solvent for cleaning and Rem-Oil for lube. Seems to do the job for my purposes.
Nice to hear others use the same combo as I do. Hoppes No. 9 Solvent and Rem-Oil for lube. Thanx !

·
Registered
367 Posts
+2 I use the same for my revolvers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts