Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of yall might shun me but what does the term "lock up tight" mean?

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
A revolver is in "full lock up" when you have pulled the trigger but not let it back forward. This is the position the gun is in when the cartridge fires.

"Locked up tight" is when the revolver is in full lock up, with a minimum of play in the cylinder crane and latch.

Am I right, guys?

·
Banned
1,402 Posts
You are correct........one of the ways to check a revolver, is to check the play in the cylinder when closed...then check when open.....then, cock the revolver on each cylinder, one at a time, and check the cylinder play while the hammer is back. You're looking for amount of play, and consistency of play on each cylinder.
A revolver is in "full lock up" when you have pulled the trigger but not let it back forward. This is the position the gun is in when the cartridge fires.

"Locked up tight" is when the revolver is in full lock up, with a minimum of play in the cylinder crane and latch.

Am I right, guys?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Good job bear catter!

This is more important than it may seem. If it is off the projectile will not hit the forcing cone well and weird stuff happens. Also, sometimes used guns have issues with this if it has been clobbered or dropped hard. Always check this (along with other things) when looking at a used Revolver!

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Bearcatter did a good job. Don't ever feel you shouldn't post something on this forum. That's the main reason we exist; the exchange of ideas. There are some very knowledgable people here and they are more than willing to help.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Thanks for posting the question, Service 13. This is a good example of the value of this forum--to freely share information about firearms. Because you asked, I learned something.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I know some of yall might shun me but what does the term "lock up tight" mean?
Don't need to apologise for asking a question here, or feel bad about it mate.
We all started somewhere.
Only dumb question is the one not asked..... ;)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Agreed! Thanks for asking as I recently purchased my first revolver as well and am very "dumb" in terms of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts