·
Premium Member
14,151 Posts
3 letters....................FUN!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Why buy a revolver?
People have asked me, "Why buy an expensive revolver when Autos are better than ever?"
I have answers, but I wonder about you wheelgunners out there. I think there is a revival in revolvers quietly going on as evidenced by: Smith, Ruger and others developing newer, lighter and innovative wheelguns; the movement to these revolvers for backup; the fun sensation of the Taurus 4510 Series, AKA the Judge, (and the new S&W shotgun/cartridge revolver). Additionally, there seems to be demand outstripping supplies in retail locations for many DA revolver products.

Maybe:
1.) We are bored with Glock look a likes... and we already have a 1911.
2) We want the intimidation factor of the big cylinder and big black hole...
3) We think autos might be collected up by the libs in the future...
4) The Revolver seems inherently more reliable without the magazine springs going soft in lengthy periods of storage etc.
5) Different parts of the country may be motivated a bit differently, But here in the cold North shooting outside in the winter is tough if you want to save your brass-- easy with a revolver, NOT with an auto when you are in the snow...
What do you guys think? I just need a change sometimes, AND I like 'em.
I was a Firearms Instructor 10 years before our department changed from
S&W 586s and 686s to Glock 22s in 40 cal. when they first came out.
I still own 4 Glocks. For Semi-auto's my preference is the 1911s.
I still have a couple of wheel guns, and several Ruger Blackhawks and a Ruger Redhawk .44 for big game.
I love the big boomers...

I reload for most pistols and rifles.
I started reloading in the 60s, and never quit.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I still have a brace of Sig Sauer P226 TACOPS in 9mm, so autos are still there for me, if needed. Suppressor makes them valid, as well as 20rd MecGar magazines and day/night fiber optic/tritium suppressor sights, for things that need removal, on the quiet.

I've recently passed the 70 year mark, and have gone back to my first love- wheel guns. I've had many over the years, and Ruger has made up the majority of them. I've lovingly polished their internals, found out what fodder they liked, and cared for them, knowing that they migt be needed for defence of self, family, friends, and/or innocents. Ruger has, unlike some autos, never failed me.

Tomorrow, I'll be picking up what may be my last handguns- two Ruger Super GP100's in .357. This brace may well be buried with me, as my health is not what could be termed, "optimal." Like all of my weapons, rilfes, handguns, shotguns, and those that are edged, I've always gone top tier. I believe my latest acquisitions are no less a quality than the others. Too, right tools for the right jobs...

Revolvers, like other firearms, can be tailored to the need or mission. In the revolver vs. pistol category, ammunition is key. Light and fast 50gr. to 200gr. hard cast loads are available. I don't know of any autos that can match that capability.

Accuracy, for me, is important. To me, again this is my opinion after 62 years of shooting, the Ruger GP100 series of revolvers is unequaled. They are flat out accurate, dependable, and heavy-duty weapons. Upright pack of cigarettes on a fence post, 100 yards away? No problem.

It's very simple and easy to teach the proper use of a revolver. Under stressful situations, the revolver is much easier to use efficiently, for the neophyte. For "geezers" like me, the properly tuned GP100 is like a point and click mouse for millenials. Double action/single action, like it's ammunition, gives the shooter lots of options. Elmer Keith killed an elk at 600 yards before WWII, and others have duplicated such a feat since then...

Guess it all boils down to familiarity. As we get older, and have more time to reflect, we go back to what we liked best, what we used best, and gave us the most pleasure or comfort.

Ruger does not disappoint. Their quest for "the best," will never cease. For me, the Super GP100 will be the culmination of my search for "The Best."

I'll be picking up my brace of two Super GP100's tomorrow, and I'll be carrying them both, as my EDC from then on. Why carry two Super GP100's, or two of anything else? I shoot equally well with both hands. Have been doing so for fifty-three years. Two is one, and one is none... Old "prepper" line.

I'm no longer "fast." I am, however, able to hit what I aim at. I'll never be a "victim." Casualty, probably- but defending oneself and/or others does engender risk, and is a personal decision to do whatever is necessary.

Revolvers are looked down on, by some, due to their ignorance. Know yourself, your weapons, and your capabilities. Cultivate and utilize the warrior mindset. Overlook nothing.

Have a nice, long, productive life...

OldPaladin1949

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ruger Speed Six MM

My carry gun is a Stainless Ruger Speed Six in 9mm. It's the only 9MM revolver I've seen. I bought a ling time ago and wouldn't even think of selling it. I have never seen another 9mm revolver. It uses half moon clips and I bought all Ruger had when I bought it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
oh so many reasons and I think they were all covered. At this point I have divested myself of just about all my semi autos. I kept a CZ p10c because it is about the most fun you can have with a plastic 9mm legally and an SR22 which is actually the wifes fun gun.

Revolvers
Fun to shoot !!
Never worry about an errant article of clothing engaging the trigger causing you to shoot yourself
Cartridges can sit in the holes damn near forever without worrying about spring fatigue
A wide variety of ammo choices many times within the same platform. Super soft 38 up to blaster 357 in one gun is awesome.
Can usually be found in calibers that are more powerful than semi auto permits
Never worry about any impending legislated magazine limits
Never have to remember when to change out a recoil spring or mag spring
Dont have to worry about feed lip issues
They are inherently beautiful
They point naturally with one hand or two
You can change ammo without unloading a mag or keeping two mags loaded. I like to keep my bedside gun loaded with 38+p but when it becomes my going out gun I just drop in some 357. No bullet setback from rechambering countless times. I just drop out one set of cartridges and drop in another
You never have to worry about it going out of battery in a close confrontation
If it has an exposed hammer you can get a sweet single action and pop targets out a bit.

Did I mention .. they are really fun to shot!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am not, and never have been a "Wheelgun Guy." From earliest times I always preferred pistols over revolvers for most things.

That said, revolvers definitely have a place and I keep one by my bed ("The Original Point and Click Interface" LOL). And I sometimes carry one hunting although lately it seems I've been taking pistols hunting more. I am working on a new 44 Special load that may change that however.

And when the new Colt Python hits the shelves...well, the needle might start moving towards "Wheelgun Guy" after all :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im a revolver guy!

From when I was about 10 years old and I shot my dad's colt .22lr I was hooked.

Since then, I own a 6" GP100, a Smith Model 10 no dash, a Smith Model 60, and old H&R 10 shot top break .22, and a Smith Governor.

Now, my semi's...... A Ruger P95 and my wifes Remington 1911. Oh, and a Ruger Charger take down, but that doesn't count......... Its nothing more than a fun toy for when I get bored of playing with the big boys.

Last dozen range trips I have made, the GP100 has been with me on all of them, the Model 10 or the Model 60 have been there also. I took the P95 when my son went with me because that is what he likes to shoot.

Yup, for this 50 year old its revolvers. Have my eye on a .44 magnum next, thinking a Model 26.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I’m enjoying my Smith and Wesson 617-6. Only made two changes on it so far.
Cut half of the underlug off and added a fiber optic front sight..and a Speed
Loader and Block-Case.
After 5-600 rounds the double action is very smooth but in the beginning too stiff.
Single Action is very light and crisp. Most of my shooting is from 30-42 yds.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
You don’t have to chase the brass!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I still have a brace of Sig Sauer P226 TACOPS in 9mm, so autos are still there for me, if needed. Suppressor makes them valid, as well as 20rd MecGar magazines and day/night fiber optic/tritium suppressor sights, for things that need removal, on the quiet.

I've recently passed the 70 year mark, and have gone back to my first love- wheel guns. I've had many over the years, and Ruger has made up the majority of them. I've lovingly polished their internals, found out what fodder they liked, and cared for them, knowing that they migt be needed for defence of self, family, friends, and/or innocents. Ruger has, unlike some autos, never failed me.

Tomorrow, I'll be picking up what may be my last handguns- two Ruger Super GP100's in .357. This brace may well be buried with me, as my health is not what could be termed, "optimal." Like all of my weapons, rilfes, handguns, shotguns, and those that are edged, I've always gone top tier. I believe my latest acquisitions are no less a quality than the others. Too, right tools for the right jobs...

Revolvers, like other firearms, can be tailored to the need or mission. In the revolver vs. pistol category, ammunition is key. Light and fast 50gr. to 200gr. hard cast loads are available. I don't know of any autos that can match that capability.

Accuracy, for me, is important. To me, again this is my opinion after 62 years of shooting, the Ruger GP100 series of revolvers is unequaled. They are flat out accurate, dependable, and heavy-duty weapons. Upright pack of cigarettes on a fence post, 100 yards away? No problem.

It's very simple and easy to teach the proper use of a revolver. Under stressful situations, the revolver is much easier to use efficiently, for the neophyte. For "geezers" like me, the properly tuned GP100 is like a point and click mouse for millenials. Double action/single action, like it's ammunition, gives the shooter lots of options. Elmer Keith killed an elk at 600 yards before WWII, and others have duplicated such a feat since then...

Guess it all boils down to familiarity. As we get older, and have more time to reflect, we go back to what we liked best, what we used best, and gave us the most pleasure or comfort.

Ruger does not disappoint. Their quest for "the best," will never cease. For me, the Super GP100 will be the culmination of my search for "The Best."

I'll be picking up my brace of two Super GP100's tomorrow, and I'll be carrying them both, as my EDC from then on. Why carry two Super GP100's, or two of anything else? I shoot equally well with both hands. Have been doing so for fifty-three years. Two is one, and one is none... Old "prepper" line.

I'm no longer "fast." I am, however, able to hit what I aim at. I'll never be a "victim." Casualty, probably- but defending oneself and/or others does engender risk, and is a personal decision to do whatever is necessary.

Revolvers are looked down on, by some, due to their ignorance. Know yourself, your weapons, and your capabilities. Cultivate and utilize the warrior mindset. Overlook nothing.

Have a nice, long, productive life...

OldPaladin1949

Lovely post, absolutely loved reading this. Congratulations to you.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I purchased my first revolver, a S&W 642 airweight, for use as a BUG. I have since purchased a SRH chambered in .454 Casull for the purpose of deer hunting. I must say I enjoy shooting both of them at the range. My next purchase will be three Wranglers in serial number sequence, when my lgs finds them. I want these as future gifts for my grandchildren.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm not an either / or guy. I like all handguns. But, I'm a sucker for magnum revolvers. And recently the 45 lc. Single Action is just fun to shoot. But for defense it still is the pistol for me.

1621 - 1640 of 1663 Posts