Ruger Forum banner

1641 - 1660 of 1663 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have (and dislike) bottom feeders.

I have (and mostly dislike) DA revolvers.

I have (and love) an Old Army with the SBH dragoon grip frame. It fits my hand. It belches .500S&W grade smoke and flames. It has more than once holed a full 5 gallon steel bucket of old roofing goop the long way.

Same reason I shoot break open shotguns, rolling block rifles and crescent butt carbines. They work and I like them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can't add anything new to this list except for one good reason that a lot of people don't like to think about much less discuss, that there may come a possible future time when a revolver may be the only thing you can legally own and/or carry.

You can poo-poo or shrug off the notion if you want that we may ever find ourselves in a time in this country where this can become a possibility but you never know. There is a lot of crazy stuff going on these days so I wouldn't put it past anyone. We already live in a time where some states, cities and jurisdictions ban the carrying of handguns period which shouldn't be happening in America but it does.

In a time or place where all semi-auto handguns may be banned revolvers will suddenly become a very hot commodity (as if they weren't expensive enough now) and will surely be the last type of handgun that will remain legal if things are ever allowed to go that far.

I don't know about you but I intend to own and carry handguns for as long as I can legally do so (and then some) so having at least one revolver in your portfolio would be a wise investment.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I developed a strong admiration for revolvers especially western style SAs and the simplicity to their design but mostly for their style. They are easier clean, take apart and understand mechanically. Blackhawk, Vaquero and lately I've ventured into the Colt SAA clones as you can tell by my signature. My 1872 Open Top shoots 38 special and has the best aiming pointability of them all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I still have a brace of Sig Sauer P226 TACOPS in 9mm, so autos are still there for me, if needed. Suppressor makes them valid, as well as 20rd MecGar magazines and day/night fiber optic/tritium suppressor sights, for things that need removal, on the quiet.

I've recently passed the 70 year mark, and have gone back to my first love- wheel guns. I've had many over the years, and Ruger has made up the majority of them. I've lovingly polished their internals, found out what fodder they liked, and cared for them, knowing that they migt be needed for defence of self, family, friends, and/or innocents. Ruger has, unlike some autos, never failed me.

Tomorrow, I'll be picking up what may be my last handguns- two Ruger Super GP100's in .357. This brace may well be buried with me, as my health is not what could be termed, "optimal." Like all of my weapons, rilfes, handguns, shotguns, and those that are edged, I've always gone top tier. I believe my latest acquisitions are no less a quality than the others. Too, right tools for the right jobs...

Revolvers, like other firearms, can be tailored to the need or mission. In the revolver vs. pistol category, ammunition is key. Light and fast 50gr. to 200gr. hard cast loads are available. I don't know of any autos that can match that capability.

Accuracy, for me, is important. To me, again this is my opinion after 62 years of shooting, the Ruger GP100 series of revolvers is unequaled. They are flat out accurate, dependable, and heavy-duty weapons. Upright pack of cigarettes on a fence post, 100 yards away? No problem.

It's very simple and easy to teach the proper use of a revolver. Under stressful situations, the revolver is much easier to use efficiently, for the neophyte. For "geezers" like me, the properly tuned GP100 is like a point and click mouse for millenials. Double action/single action, like it's ammunition, gives the shooter lots of options. Elmer Keith killed an elk at 600 yards before WWII, and others have duplicated such a feat since then...

Guess it all boils down to familiarity. As we get older, and have more time to reflect, we go back to what we liked best, what we used best, and gave us the most pleasure or comfort.

Ruger does not disappoint. Their quest for "the best," will never cease. For me, the Super GP100 will be the culmination of my search for "The Best."

I'll be picking up my brace of two Super GP100's tomorrow, and I'll be carrying them both, as my EDC from then on. Why carry two Super GP100's, or two of anything else? I shoot equally well with both hands. Have been doing so for fifty-three years. Two is one, and one is none... Old "prepper" line.

I'm no longer "fast." I am, however, able to hit what I aim at. I'll never be a "victim." Casualty, probably- but defending oneself and/or others does engender risk, and is a personal decision to do whatever is necessary.

Revolvers are looked down on, by some, due to their ignorance. Know yourself, your weapons, and your capabilities. Cultivate and utilize the warrior mindset. Overlook nothing.

Have a nice, long, productive life...

OldPaladin1949

I just blew threw my 75th B'day last month. I also am at heart a revolver guy. When my wife and I retired and moved to Panama for about 8 years, I had to give up all the guns I had collected through the years. I had many guns I was loath to get rid of, like my Great Grandpa's Colt lightening 22, a Winchester model 12 of my Dad's and his Springfield sporterized 06, and my first gun, a Remington Speedmaster 522. That and bunch of other neat stuff like Dad's Ruger Blackhawk .357 and Single Six from the mid 50's.

I gave all of them to my kids. Except one, which I entrusted to their care until I moved back home. That was a GP 100 Stainless my Dad gave me for my Birthday in 1990 in a beautiful presentation case. When we returned to the States 5 years ago, I retrieved it and it is my most treasured gun because of the special bond it represented between me and my old man. I have slowly been building my gun collection back up, albeit slowly and more specific to current interest. I am well past hunting and the eyes are getting to be a problem along with increasing arthritis, so no hunting or target guns, just fun guns like a PCC, a few shotguns, and 5 Revolvers. Just recently started Concealed Carry, a have been using a LCR .38 and picked up a summer carry LCP 2 last week.

I love revolvers, and always have, especially Rugers and S&W's. Maybe it is an old guy thing, but I understand completely the semi-auto pistol and rifle thing, and love reading and hearing about them, but I doubt I do much more with them at my age. When I was in the Corps, I was lucky enough to spend some time as a Marksmanship instructor and Range Coach at Camp Hansen. What a gas that was! Great job with the side benefit of all the shooting I wanted.

I just feel blessed to be able to participate in a hobby I truly enjoy, and to have been able to pass on to my Children a bit of our family gun heritage and to see them enjoy it as much as i have. Have fun folks, with whatever churns your butter, and be safe.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Steve McQueen, Jim Rockford, and Dirty Harry carried them. That's why I liked them so much as a kid, now I am an adult and have money, therefore I buy them because I like them.

Those are the only reasons anyone needs- they like it, have the means, and therefore buy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can't add anything new to this list except for one good reason that a lot of people don't like to think about much less discuss, that there may come a possible future time when a revolver may be the only thing you can legally own and/or carry..
I pray this is NEVER the case, but I’ll go one better. I own two Ruger Vaquero revolvers, one in .40 and my most recently acquired in 357.9mm combo. I think its possible that at some indeterminate point in the future, one might only be permitted to own SINGLE action revolvers. Personally Ive ALWAYS preferred revolvers to bottom feeders, and single actions are just plain fun. I’m a LEO and so have been forced to come to terms with semi-autos, and I own a few...but I want the ability to shoot my stash of .40 and 9mm out of a wheelie.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I pray this is NEVER the case, but I’ll go one better. I own two Ruger Vaquero revolvers, one in .40 and my most recently acquired in 357.9mm combo. I think its possible that at some indeterminate point in the future, one might only be permitted to own SINGLE action revolvers. Personally Ive ALWAYS preferred revolvers to bottom feeders, and single actions are just plain fun. I’m a LEO and so have been forced to come to terms with semi-autos, and I own a few...but I want the ability to shoot my stash of .40 and 9mm out of a wheelie.
This is the case in some countries today, where the only handguns one can legally own are single action revolvers and/or historic cap & ball types.

·
Super Moderator
4,085 Posts
Long thread. I read the first few pages and then skipped to the last few pages. Forgive me if I repeat what someone else might have already said.

I like revolvers. A lot. In trying to discern what I like about them I think it boils down to one simple thing. I'm a sucker for a well machined piece of metal. Handguns, watches, knives, tools, etc. Whatever. In that regard revolvers certainly push my button.

I don't think anyone would deny that the 1873 Colt SAA was the first mainstream cartridge style single action handgun. There were other revolvers before that but they were either breaktop, cap and ball, etc. The SAA was the one that really changed the game. It wasn't until around 1890 that the first legitimate double action revolvers started to show up. By that I mean cartridge style double action revolvers. Semiautomatic pistols started to show up in the late 1880's but none were commercially viable until JMB's masterpiece in 1911. My point is the legacy/history of modern revolvers does not drastically outdate modern semiautomatics. It was only 38 after the SAA that the 1911 burst onto the scene. To put that in perspective Glocks have been around about that long. Revolvers have been a round longer than semi autos but in the big scheme of things only marginally so and most modern double action revolvers were developed after the 1911. Yet, JMB's basic design still prospers in many forms.

In my experience revolvers are not more reliable than modern semiautomatics. I've had semiautomatics fail but with one exception (a Sig P220 I used to own) the problem was always ammo or magazines. The guns themselves functioned fine when using good ammo and undamaged magazines. I've also had revolvers fail and in my experience the issue was almost always mechanical failure rather than ammo. In my experience revolvers are less susceptible to failure because of crappy ammo but they are more prone to mechanical failure than semi autos are. Having said that, both designs have been extraordinarily reliable for me. These comments are based on a small sample set of my experiences but that still equates to many different handguns and tens of thousands of rounds down range.

I've owned/shot extremely accurate revolvers and owned/shot extremely accurate semiautomatic pistols. In my experience there isn't a correlation between the operating mechanism and accuracy as a whole. The two most accurate handguns I own are a Ruger Blackhawk and a Sig P220. Both of them happen to be 10mm. Interesting.....

The one area where revolvers do outshine semi autos is the ability to shoot really big bore calibers. I'm a big bore junkie so that gives revolvers a big plus in my book.

I own more revolvers than semi autos but not by a drastic margin. Approximately 3:2. I like them both. The one thing both styles I own have in common is almost all of them are all metal guns. My semiautos are 3rd Gen S&W, 1911's, Beretta 92/96 and all metal Sigs. I have exactly two polymer framed guns (both Sigs) and one of them is listed for sale on Armslist as we speak. I do not own a polymer framed revolver and never will. YMMV.

Bottom line for me is:

I like guns.
I prefer all metal guns.
I like large calibers.

Therefore, it stands to reason that I like revolvers. A lot. Long live revolvers. Especially single action 45 Colts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
In my experience revolvers are not more reliable than modern semiautomatics. I've had semiautomatics fail but with one exception (a Sig P220 I used to own) the problem was always ammo or magazines. The guns themselves functioned fine when using good ammo and undamaged magazines. I've also had revolvers fail and in my experience the issue was almost always mechanical failure rather than ammo. In my experience revolvers are less susceptible to failure because of crappy ammo but they are more prone to mechanical failure than semi autos are. Having said that, both designs have been extraordinarily reliable for me. These comments are based on a small sample set of my experiences but that still equates to many different handguns and tens of thousands of rounds down range.
It depends on whether your talking about catastrophic failures or minor failures. Semi-autos have far more ammo related minor failures like failure to feed, failure to fire, failure to eject, magazine issues, etc. then do revolvers which are only "minor" as far as the gun itself is concerned, these could be MAJOR failures during a combat/defensive situation that can cost you your life if one isn't trained on how to deal with them quickly.

However, when revolvers do fail it tends to be "catastrophic" as they say with the gun being completely knocked out of service. This is not to say that semi-autos don't have catastrophic failures too, they can and they do. I've seen semi-autos blowing up in peoples hands, cracked slides, cracked frames, pieces of metal or debris getting inside and jamming up the actions and if you ever break your firing pin in a striker gun you're done.

In essence, semi-autos are more forgiving of wear and tear and abuse and revolvers are more reliable. I would say that if you've had more revolvers fail then semi-autos due to minor issues then you either shoot your revolvers a lot more then your semi-autos or you're just unlucky as I have yet to experience this, no offense.

·
Super Moderator
4,085 Posts
I would say that if you've had more revolvers fail then semi-autos due to minor issues then you either shoot your revolvers a lot more then your semi-autos or you're just unlucky as I have yet to experience this, no offense.
No offense taken at all. We're just chatting, talking guns and killing time. It's all good.

I would say my revolver shooting and pistol shooting are about equal. Over the years I've owned roughly 80-100 handguns split about evenly between revolver and semiauto. In all those guns I've only had a handful of mechanical failures. Most of them were with revolvers. None of them catastrophic. Broken pawls, binding cylinder, that sort of thing. The only mechanical failure I recall with a semiauto pistol was with the aforementioned Sig. It went back to Sig twice and never was quite right. Never did figure it out. We changed the barrel, springs, feed ramps, magazines, guide rods, and ammo. Everything except the slide, frame and trigger assembly. We never could get that thing to cycle consistently. It was possessed. I digress....

To be clear, I exclude bad ammo and bad magazines from my definition of mechanical failure. To me a mechanical failure is when the gun is broken in some way and will not function. I suppose the case could be made that a magazine is part of the gun and if it fails then, by default, the gun has failed. Yeah, I suppose. I won't argue that point too much but I still don't count bad magazines as a gun failure. YMMV.

Once again, my experience is a relatively small sample size and I can't draw any conclusions except to say that in my experience revolvers aren't more reliable than pistols and I don't agree with the idea that revolvers are uber reliable and semi autos are gonna 'jam'. Overall that has not been my experience. Both are extremely reliable, both fail occasionally and they both fail at approximately the same rate in my experience. I've never had a catastrophic failure in either one. YMMV

·
Registered
42 Posts
No offense taken at all. We're just chatting, talking guns and killing time. It's all good.

I would say my revolver shooting and pistol shooting are about equal. Over the years I've owned roughly 80-100 handguns split about evenly between revolver and semiauto. In all those guns I've only had a handful of mechanical failures. Most of them were with revolvers. None of them catastrophic. Broken pawls, binding cylinder, that sort of thing. The only mechanical failure I recall with a semiauto pistol was with the aforementioned Sig. It went back to Sig twice and never was quite right. Never did figure it out. We changed the barrel, springs, feed ramps, magazines, guide rods, and ammo. Everything except the slide, frame and trigger assembly. We never could get that thing to cycle consistently. It was possessed. I digress....

To be clear, I exclude bad ammo and bad magazines from my definition of mechanical failure. To me a mechanical failure is when the gun is broken in some way and will not function. I suppose the case could be made that a magazine is part of the gun and if it fails then, by default, the gun has failed. Yeah, I suppose. I won't argue that point too much but I still don't count bad magazines as a gun failure. YMMV.

Once again, my experience is a relatively small sample size and I can't draw any conclusions except to say that in my experience revolvers aren't more reliable than pistols and I don't agree with the idea that revolvers are uber reliable and semi autos are gonna 'jam'. Overall that has not been my experience. Both are extremely reliable, both fail occasionally and they both fail at approximately the same rate in my experience. I've never had a catastrophic failure in either one. YMMV
Well, you've owned more guns and shoot more than I do, that's for sure. Maybe if I get up to your level I'll experience some of these failures with revolvers but I hope it never happens at the wrong time, if you know what I mean.

On the other hand, I've had several minor failures and one major failure with four of the semi-autos I've owned. One was with a Kahr PM9 (FTF, FTE. etc.). I hated that thing and got rid of it soon after. Ditto with my first Ruger LCP (I got rid of it and bought a Gen 2 version later which had been reliable while I owned it). A Kimber Evo (failure to lock back on last round, sent to Kimber and got fixed) but the worst of all was my Taurus TCP. That piece of junk would actually fire two rounds in rapid succession with one pull of the trigger, like a full auto and then I had a double feed that forced the first round in the chamber so hard I had to shove a screwdriver down the other end of barrel to get it free. That was on it's first and only trip to the range. To this day that is the only gun I've sold that I feel bad about, knowing that some poor sucker probably ended up with it. That thing could cost someone their life either because it could blow up in their hand or failure to fire when they needed most. That gun should've been melted down rather then sold!

Four brand new semi-autos with problems out of two dozen or so doesn't strike me as very good odds. I've probably owned about as many revolvers and I've never had a single problem with any of them so far.

Regarding magazines, I consider them to be an essential part of the gun. Magazine doesn't work, gun doesn't work, end of story until said magazine is either fixed or replaced. That is one of the big advantages of revolvers, they have their own built-in internal feed system that doesn't rely on outside components that could be lost or broken. Ditto for Lever-action rifles and pump-action shotguns.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've probably owned about as many revolvers and I've never had a single problem with any of them so far.
I take that back, I did have a problem with one of my revolvers, a Kimber K6S with 3" barrel. The cylinder would not open up far enough to clear all the rounds during ejection, the edge of one round would catch on the bottom of the frame if it happened to be in the wrong spot, otherwise the gun functioned normally. I send that one back to Kimber (two brand new Kimbers that had to be sent back!) and they fixed that one too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
To me, SAs are like sports cars, and revolvers are like Cadillacs. Both have their +/-'s, and their usages. If I had my choice of only one or the other it would probably be a revolver. I carry a Ruger LCR has my carry gun, it's light and I shoot it pretty well. If I could have two guns it would probably be my LCR and my Smith 629. I can load up my 44 either in barking Magnum loads or soft specials. I have had a mechanical failure with my LCR when the transfer bar broken half and jammed the mechanics. I am sure glad it was just during open shooting instead of a self-defense situation. I just hate all this extra safety junk they put in guns today.

·
Registered
275 Posts
In my case particularly, i am preparing for the possibility that in the near future all semi autos will be banned here in CA.

·
Super Moderator
3,368 Posts
In my case particularly, i am preparing for the possibility that in the near future all semi autos will be banned here in CA.

The problem with that, and I hope for those of you in California, they are not this smart, but a double action revolver may be considered a semi automatic firearm if the potential bill is worded a certain way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts

The problem with that, and I hope for those of you in California, they are not this smart, but a double action revolver may be considered a semi automatic firearm if the potential bill is worded a certain way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Semi-auto ban. I hope that's not the case. Otherwise Cali will put a run on single actions and drive up the prices... :D

1641 - 1660 of 1663 Posts