Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shows continue to entertain, though it is the same vendors time after time now. Fewer books, which is s pity as I snag any Ballantine WW II titles I lack, usually cheaply. I enjoy shows more now for non-gun stuff, though the deals I got on .22 WMR, targets, and reloading supplies are, I reckon, gun related.

Sizing up guns that the old-timers bring remains satisfying, far from the tables of 9mm Tupperware. Came across an old fellow whom vended beside Elmer Keith’s booth in New Orleans for a few years, and he had some great Elmer stories to tell. He also had a Walther PP I like, and a barely used Blackhawk .44 Special in box. Good prices on both.

I’ll see if he still has one of them next year, for my 2020 gun. Or maybe a Beretta Tomcat...I love the tip up mousegun design and want to reload .32acp just because.

It remains a fun hobby.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,585 Posts
It's been a while since I was at a show. Old war history books would tempt me, but I'm out of shelf space. I've been getting books on my Kindle. There are so many military history books available for $0.99 to $1.39 it's amazing. I'm reading one now about Bruno Sutkus, a German sniper who had over 200 confirmed kills against the Russians in the last six months of the war. The tale of his fifty years of forced labor in Siberia is more chilling than the combat.

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
434 Posts
Very interesting to hear that someone else collects the Ballantine WWII books. I got started with them when I was still in high school in the late 60’s. I rarely go to any of the shows up here – like Dulles - because most of the handguns, anyway, are way overpriced and scratched up. Happened to find a very nice older SP101 in .22 at Sharpshooters (of all places!) in Lorton. PM me sometime with which titles you are missing – I only have probably 15 or so and I’m sure they will be trashed when I cross the Rainbow Bridge ... :(

·
Registered
148 Posts
I went to that show on Saturday, it is always a good show to attend. I bought an old fly reel to go with my grandpa's fly rod that I now have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts