Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a M77 MK II in 7MM SAUM and although I think the M77 is one of the nicest looking rifles out there I really don't like the thin barrel, meaning outside diameter. I have been thinking of having it rebarreled by ER Shaw in the same caliber but a bit heavier contour. I do want a bit more weight to it plus I want it to dissipate the heat better. When I test loads it only take three rounds to get that thing good and hot and I have to stop for a while to let it cool.

Has anybody rebarreled their Ruger and any thoughts, pro and con?

Jay

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Here is my 30/06 I had rebarreled by ER Shaw to a heavy barrel.

If I had to do it over again, I would not have but that heavy a barrel on it. It is too heavy, and too long at 26 inches, but that was all they offered it in at the time. But, it will drive tacks, I got to say that.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks good gunman. I want to have just a bit more weight to it but not too much. And maybe go from 22 to 23 inches. My wood stock is thick enough in the barrel groove area to be scraped out some. I'm thinking of a barrel about 1/10th to 1/8th inch thicker. How much larger in diameter is your heavy barrel compared to the original?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was going to have my 7 mag re-barreled but the stock barrel shoots to good to replace it but if the accuracy starts to fall off I'm going to have it re barrels with a match grade fluted hvy barrel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.