Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over my 50+ years of shooting rifles I have tried most of them at one time or another. Some I have stuck with and others have just went their way. Out of all I have tried the one that stands out as one I just don't get are Blasers. Now they are fantastic shooters for the most part and very unique, fast and functional. The truth is they are incredibly expensive and for the money I have had and still have bargain rifles that will shoot with them all day. There is almost a cult following for these things. I confess to having one but it stays in the case. I much prefer my Model 70 Winchesters. Even scope mounts for Blaser cost as much as a new rifle of everyday makes.

I just don't get them?

Opinions, comments?

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
The Blaser rifle is designed in Germany where owning many firearms is difficult hence the popularity of switch barrel design. The rifle is distinctly different and most distinctly different products are a love or hate. I have fired Blasers and like them. I just would rather have a different rifle.

·
Premium Member
3,190 Posts
Firearms are just like vehicles. They serve a function most of us understand. Just as there are Blasers, there are Maybachs. We all don't drive Fords and Chevys. We all don't shoot Remington 700s and Ruger Americans. Different strokes for different folks. No need to be puzzled by it too much. I paid $53,000 for a Southern Comfort Avalanche in 2005. That was the most expensive vehicle I've ever owned. It cost more than my 2004 Corvette. I have friends who have paid $175,000 for vehicles. I'd never do that even if I could. My house is old with many hand-made features like the doors, oak floors, trim and all the built-in cabinets and drawers. It was built in 1955 and I love it. I have friends who live in $500,000 cookie cutter houses that are grotesque to me. We are all different. Firearms, cars, houses -- we can all have what we want. It is America.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Firearms are just like vehicles. They serve a function most of us understand. Just as there are Blasers, there are Maybachs. We all don't drive Fords and Chevys. We all don't shoot Remington 700s and Ruger Americans. Different strokes for different folks. No need to be puzzled by it too much. I paid $53,000 for a Southern Comfort Avalanche in 2005. That was the most expensive vehicle I've ever owned. It cost more than my 2004 Corvette. I have friends who have paid $175,000 for vehicles. I'd never do that even if I could. My house is old with many hand-made features like the doors, oak floors, trim and all the built-in cabinets and drawers. It was built in 1955 and I love it. I have friends who live in $500,000 cookie cutter houses that are grotesque to me. We are all different. Firearms, cars, houses -- we can all have what we want. It is America.
Expertly said!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything said is all true. My point was I just don't get the almost cult following with Blasers. Since I brought this up the whole tactical thing escapes me as well. I realize most shooting and a lot of rifles are for fun and games and that is great. I have seen shooters who are so torn up over having a tactical rifles with so much junk bolted on it takes a pack mule to lug it around. Being a hunter at heart that does lots of walking a rifle needs to be really portable and a decent shooter to get me interested.

Anyway I was just wondering if I am the only nut out here that feels this way.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was out shooting my Number One A 30-06 using my cast bullets. Worked well and I'd rather have this rifle than ten Blasers. Like you folks said it's what ever cranks your tractor.

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
If I was limited to one rifle only for whatever reason and being a southpaw, the Blaser is the way to go.

As to tactical rifles for sport use I can't figure out the lure either. Now an M-16 type with wood furniture would be another kettle of fish entirely.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Since I brought this up the whole tactical thing escapes me as well. I realize most shooting and a lot of rifles are for fun and games and that is great. I have seen shooters who are so torn up over having a tactical rifles with so much junk bolted on it takes a pack mule to lug it around. Being a hunter at heart that does lots of walking a rifle needs to be really portable and a decent shooter to get me interested.

Anyway I was just wondering if I am the only nut out here that feels this way.
The tactical thing kind of escapes me, too, but the AR-15 thing does not.

I don't have the patience to climb up a tree and sit still in a tree stand. Never have. I've pretty much always been a "still hunter" -walk a bit, glass the country a bit, walk a bit, glass the country a bit, wash, rinse, repeat....

As such, most of the big game animals I've shot have been taken at close range, even in "open country" and usually as an adjunct to jumping said game out their respective beds. My shots are me standing on my hind legs and with no aiming support beyond my hands and arms.

The AR-15 is the easiest platform for me to shoot well with from an unsupported, standing position. Second place for me isn't even close.

That's one of the reasons why I couldn't pass up a gun show deal last April for a DPMS Oracle 5.56. The other reason is that where my scrawny local "home county" whitetails are concerned, a .223 Remington is plenty of deer rifle.

What the AR-15 offers me is a 6.5 pound rifle with all the terminal ballistics I need in a package that is easy for me shoot with reasonable precision from an unsupported standing position. The only mods on mine are commercial-style QD sling studs, a Bulter Creek "Mountain Sling" carry strap, and a 2 X 7 Weaver scope with appropriate mounting hardware.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
AR's in any configuration!

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
I'm glad it all exists- even the things I don't want. I also usually like the things that traditionalists do not. Flavor is the spice of life... even the flavors I don't want. :)

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I like just about everything on some level. Not enough to want everything but I wouldn't mind shooting anything that goes bang. And I admire good design. I have SXS shotguns, O/Us and a tactical 870...No.1, walnut stocked blued bolt action rifles and a couple of ARs....SA revolvers, classic S&W revolvers, 1911s and a black SR40C and a Glock. Everybody seems to get along OK here. I want a new RPR and I also want to restock my MKII Alaskan in 375 Ruger that has a Hogue overmolded stock with a nice wood stock. It may seem schizophrenic but I have several sets of "lenses" that I look through at different guns and platforms and I like a lot of stuff that way.

I have no old military rifles and I want a 30 cal Carbine to shoot along with my 3-screw Blackhawk 30 Carbine. I want a few lever action rifles......and an AR10.

Man I sure want a lot of stuff......

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Well I have never had a Blaser Rifle but I still much prefer the rifles I have now my Remington 7600 & 760 & my old reliable Winchester Pre 64 Model 70 .270 Winchester with a 3-9 Leopold scope mounted on top!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I don't get a lot of things, but people pay BIG dollars for them.......

Why people pay $20,000 for Safari double guns, in stuff like .458 Lott when a bolt gun from Ruger is a grand or a little more in the same caliber. Again if you can afford this kind of stuff then it doesn't really matter, like asking why drive a Bentley when a Ford is perfectly fine.......

Most people don't get it but I have always wanted one of those Remington pump .223 rifles, the "Patrol Pump" or whatever they call it, it was a "PC" type rifle made for police forces who wanted to give officers more stopping power, that operated like the familiar pump 12 gauge without arming them with "evil" AR15's.

Straight Pulls are neat, I've owned many Swiss and Austrian straight pull military rifles and wondered why these never caught on and why people still shoot traditional "Mauser style" rifles like Ruger M77's, Rem 700's etc........

I guess it's cost, it would cost a LOT to make new rifles with the same action as a Swiss Schmidt-Rubin 7.5 rifle, as cool, efficient and fast shooting as they are.......most people won't pay $3,000 for a modern version.

I had both the Swiss 1911 long rifle and K31 carbine, 7.5 Swiss is about on par with .308, very fast shooting rifles, very very accurate. Kind of like a "manual semi auto". You can really pump out fast aimed fire with these..........again, the standard bolt rifle lives on and these fade away into the collections of mil surp collectors and shooters.

I always thought a slick straight pull rifle with a 20-round mag would make a heck of a "zombie gun".....

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
[QUOTE=twodog max;1794454]Everything said is all true. My point was I just don't get the almost cult following with Blasers. Since I brought this up the whole tactical thing escapes me as well. I realize most shooting and a lot of rifles are for fun and games and that is great. I have seen shooters who are so torn up over having a tactical rifles with so much junk bolted on it takes a pack mule to lug it around. Being a hunter at heart that does lots of walking a rifle needs to be really portable and a decent shooter to get me interested.
Anyway I was just wondering if I am the only nut out here that feels this way.[/QUOTE]

Say what?...........you are on a Ruger site with some of the most hard core Ruger fanatics in the world and you don't get the "cult" following of a certain gun..........well alrighty then.........LOL!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts