Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoyed a wonderful day in the woods. This morning I was in a stand before daylight. I had seen ten deer by the time I climbed down at 10am. This evening I sat in a blind. I saw nine deer total. As it started to get dark I picked the largest of the five does that I was watching. Just before I squeezed the trigger on my .270 I heard the bark of my friend's .30-06. He had decided to do the same thing after watching deer all day. We hauled them to the processor then enjoyed some venison chili I'd had in the crock pot all day. Good times!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Washington state. October 17- November 1st One buck , I'm hunting blacktail on the west side of cascades. (Ghosts of the pacific)

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Washington state. October 17- November 1st One buck , I'm hunting blacktail on the west side of cascades. (Ghosts of the pacific)
Best of luck with the blacktail hunt. Kind of quiet here this morning. Saw three fat whitetail does coming in before daylight, but just one since I got into the stand. There is a whole flock of turkeys in the swamp behind me making a ruckus, but the deer are laying low.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I ended up seeing four more does. I was posting a reply to another thread on the forum when I looked up to see a nice ten point buck standing broadside about 100yds out. The antlers were wider than the ears so I took the shot. I just finished getting the meat on ice. What a great opening weekend!
20201018_104013_05.jpg

·
Registered
574 Posts
Congrats on the deer. My neighbor missed one yesterday with his inline. It was not on zero. He checked it then later. I went with. Scope would not zero. I changed scopes. Still no holding. So i load him mine. Since i can't get out with my leg injury. He shot it with triple 7 powder. Just had to bring the scope down 12 clicks. It's in now for his powder. I shoot pyrodex.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice buck. Sounds like you had a great day. Looks like you have a nice hunting spot.
Thank you. My friends and I are having a fantastic time. I am blessed to have access to several hundred acres of family land. We are growing pine trees. We recently had them thinned. Better visibility and all the new growth has made it ideal whitetail habitat.

·
Super Moderator
21,427 Posts
Nice set up and a good job, congrats.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Congrats on the deer. My neighbor missed one yesterday with his inline. It was not on zero. He checked it then later. I went with. Scope would not zero. I changed scopes. Still no holding. So i load him mine. Since i can't get out with my leg injury. He shot it with triple 7 powder. Just had to bring the scope down 12 clicks. It's in now for his powder. I shoot pyrodex.
I have broken two scopes on my inline muzzle loader. My .30-06 has been using the same Bushnell for 24 years without issue. Go figure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts