Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello ruger forum

i've got a ruger m77 hawk eye tactical. with a bushnell elite 4200 scope. the gun is great. however i can't seem to zero. in fact can't even hit paper from 50 yards. the windage on the scope is full to the right. i put the crosshairs on paper but won't hit the target. my question is what would be the possibilities of the rifle or scope not zeroing? scope? mounts? how the scope was installed? i have a lot of rifles and every one of them are zeroed except my ruger. should i change the scope? i've tried to zero 4 times now. hope someone can help me with this.

·
Registered
171 Posts
In the past if I had strange results in sighting a gun in it was always a scope/mount problem. Not saying that there could not be some other issue but that is the place I would start. Take it all apart and replace it making sure everything is installed properly and at an appropriate tightness.

·
Super Moderator
22,137 Posts
Start with the basics. It sounds like a windage issue I would take the scope off, level the rifle and eyeball check the alignment of the bases. Then put the rings on and see if they are aligned (eyeball them as well). If you have a laser boresighter it would be a help in checking the visual. Remount the scope and be sure it is parallel. Boresight the scope once remounted. If it still shoots off the scope is probably the problem. I'd try another scope or call Bushnell and send it in for repair.

·
Registered
571 Posts
the suggestions already posted are fine .... you didn't mention the process you followed to get back to 50 yards .... if the scope hasn't been removed or if it has and remounted, I recommend you start out the sighting in process from a much shorter distance .... 5 yards would be fine .... then move back to 10 yards, then to 15, then to 20, etc .... you should be able to get it on paper easily enough and to make sure it is grouping .... doing so you should be able determine the nature of the problem

·
Banned
650 Posts
You have to have something wrong or backwards. I have had to shim scope mounts to gain more elevation but I have never had the windage get so far off the scope ran out of adjustment.

If you do not have a laser bore sight put up a target on the wall. Put the gun in a vise or on some sandbags. Take the bolt out and look down the bore. Align the bore with the bullseye. Then put the scope on the gun and adjust it to the bullseye.

If the scope mounts have different numbers on them one is for the front and the other is for the back. Find a fitment chart to put the mounts in the right place.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Show us a picture of the rifle with the rings attached. I have to agree with OldCrow in that something is not attached correctly. My M 77 Hawkeye takes a Ruger No 4 ring at the front and a Ruger No 5 at the rear. That is standard for the Hawkeye. Because the base is integral to the action, I see no way to have the problem described unless the rings are mounted incorrectly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys for your feedbacks. hmmm!!! i boresighted it 3 times, unmounted the scope and rings, i changed the rings. i have a couple of leupolds but they are for my new rifles i have coming. when i boresighted the rifle the scope and the boresight were fine and the scope adjusted. but at the range could not get it on paper. maybe the scope or the gun itself? will try to get a scope for it to try.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I had a scope that was shooting off to the side and off the paper. I took the rings off and mounted them so them in the opposite direction, which brought everything back to good. In other words, if the mounting screws were on the left, I removed the rings from the gun and mounted them so the screws were on the right.

Ive heard of people switching rings front to back but I never tried that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts