Ruger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always used a grease called RIG (Rust Inhibiting Grease) for long term storage of my fire arms. It's works GREAT, but I am having a hard time finding it locally. The only place I have found it online in any amout larger than the 1oz. tube is Brownells. But they want as much for shipping as they do for the grease.

So...

Any body else have any suggestions where I might find more RIG at a decent price, or other grease style products you would recomend for this application?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Pops, Acadamey Sports is not in my area. I don't think they're in Michian. I checked their web sight, and I don't think I can order through them.

Thanks any way though.:)
-John

·
Registered
182 Posts
I use Rig also and found that most of the chains dont carry it. Here in the Tampa Bay area, I can find it at most good gun shops, the privately owned type stores. Any of them in your area?

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
here is a good link to a gunsmith that talks about lubricants and he goes into some good detail about grease and their properties and recomendations as to what ingrediants necessary for obtaining a good grease locally thru bearing suppliers or food industry machinery suppliers.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good post deputy, Very good article I agree 100 percent with Grant Cunningham . But he's talking mostly about lubricating the moving parts of a gun, just two sentences on corrosion control. I dont think most people use Rig grease to lubricate the moving parts. I think most use it as I do, I use very little of it on a soft cloth and very lightly coat my stainless steel guns when they are being stored in the safe for any length of time, as a rust inhibitor. very little, you cant see it on the gun but you can feel it. I dont want it to gunk up anywhere or get anywhere it can build up and collect dirt or powder residue. Then when I take it out and use it, I just wipe it down with a clean cloth and its ready to go. I have to do this, where I live in the Tampa Bay area,(near the Bay), humidity hits around 100 percent a lot, and even my stainless steel guns will rust in a few days to weeks if not lightly coated with something, even with a humidity rod & Eva Dry dehumidifier in the safe. unfortunately I had to learned this the hard way. I use to rarely coat the outside of my guns, My stupid reasoning was I cleaned them so often, but a few years back, after being out of town for six weeks, I got home, opened my safe [:0] to find my prize Python looking like a old rusted railroad spike :(. I never got the pitting out. Sorry bout the ranting, but 40 years ago, we put a man on the moon, since then, we've invented lasers, microwaves, blu rays & digitized things so small you cant see with the naked eye. You would think by now someone would have invented a gun that wont rust if you leave it alone for any length of time. This is the one thing about guns that has bugged me ever since the Python experience. Really good article, thanks for posting it. I enjoyed the read.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, thats all I use RIG for. You can put a coat of that stuff on, and leave it for years, and never have a problem. People today just don't like the greasy stuff.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If you're talking about the external surfaces, a good coat of good automotive paste wax works as well as anything I've ever used.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
i've turtle waxed an old 20 ga h&r for wet weather hunting before--but never thought of using it for long term storage.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yep, a friend of mine also uses Turtle wax on his shotguns and has for years, he swears by it, I've seen a couple of them and they still look good after years of use (A little skuffed from hunting use, but no rust). My only shotgun does not get much action, so I just keep it oiled. I have also seen a post either on this forum or another forum, that it was good on stainless steel guns, I have never tried it though.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I started using it on just my stainless guns, but figured if it worked for them, it would work on everything else and it does. If you can find some Birchwood Casey silicon liquid, it really makes them waterproof, but it doesn't last very long. The best I've found is the same stuff I use on my vehicles and that's Dupont Show Car Wax, next best is Mothers. If anyone has a better one, I'm always looking.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
842 Posts
I keep a soft cloth in a baggy and add 8 or 10 drops of Breakfree occasionally to keep it moist and wipe the exteriors down every few days. Even carrying a blued gun IWB in hot Summer, no rust yet. For auto rails, Shooters Choice High Tech grease used very sparingly works for me. a little dab will do it.:)
Baker

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
maybe some one on here can find some an mail it to ya? i havent found any here either and i been lookin

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just picked up a jar of RIG +P over at my ACE HARDWARE store. About $6.00 for that little jar but it sure seems to work good!

·
Banned
700 Posts
Eezox and CorrosionX are outstanding short or very long term storage products.
CorrosionX is also a fantastic all around gun clearner / lube!

SD

·
Registered
716 Posts
John, we usually pick it up at the local gun shows ourselves, over the years...I know that 'Silencio' has been taken over byJackson Safety Supply and have heard they are goingt o try and sell off the" patent rights/formula" for the 'RIG' and that it is "for sale"......(bet it would be quite costly...)
anyway, contact Jackson Safety and they will put you in touch with their 'mail order' supplier and this will be ONLY as "supplies last"...................
by the way,their supplier is "Shotgun Sports" and they have an 800-676-8920 .......
still comes in the same 3 sizes......

GOOD stuff, and we been using it for years,since the 1950's................

1 - 19 of 19 Posts