Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 13 year-old got his Wrangler last night, so we degreased it and gave it a light Froglube treatment. Took it out with my Mark III and Bearcat. I really prefer the half-cock loading of the Bearcat, but the Wrangler is pretty nice for $175.

I took pictures then realized I had them serial number up so had to mess up the pics before posting publicly by scribbling out the visible numbers.

I am surprised how tight the Wrangler cylinder is. With the loading gate open it takes a bit of force to hand turn it, even after a good cleaning and lube. After about 200 rounds it’s now starting to move a little more freely but still in there pretty snug. Don’t know if that’s normal for Wranglers.

All in all, a great day. Probably the only downer is that shooting handguns occasionally reminds me of why I vastly prefer shotgun sports. My eyes just don’t do well with close sights any more. I never used to care for really long >6” barrel revolvers but now I’m thinking I actually need to trade for a long barrel single six to get that front sight out there as far as possible where it’s a little more clear.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,810 Posts
Congrats on the new Wrangler. Reports vary on how freely the cylinder spins with the loading gate open. Mine spins like a cheap roulette wheel at a Vegas night fundraiser. Not sure it really matters as long as it functions fine in all other respects.

I don't see the fixed sights on my SA guns very well. I do better with the adjustable and a longer sight radius helps too but I appreciate how the fixed sights look on a traditional gun.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got my higher power readers out :cautious: and I see the back of the cylinder is dragging on the frame. Up top mostly; and also very slightly on the bottom of the loading gate but that’s not the main culprit.

No biggie on a gun this price. Nothing we can’t smooth up ourselves.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,530 Posts
Good to hear you got to the range. How does the 13 yr. old like it? My 12yr. old granddaughter is about to have enough saved up for a Wrangler. Will get a pair here soon because I want to try one for myself.
*I love the Mark in that photo too.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
He loves it. He tested it with everything including CCI snake shot loads, CB shorts, LR standard velocity, high velocity, and Velocitor hyper velocity.

His eyes can see the sights just fine of course. It should be good enough quality to last him forever but inexpensive enough to not be afraid to carry and use. I think it shoots low for him but we’ll get in a lot more trigger time before we consider any front sight filing.

I’m glad I didn’t get one for myself because of the eyesight thing. Yes that 6” barrel Mark III with nice black sights is still usable with my vision and wonderfully accurate. It, and a couple defensive pieces, are really all I’ll ever need for handguns. My pistol buying days may be over. Thank goodness my vision beyond arms reach is still great, so when the game involves flying birds or furry critters, I’m grabbing a shotgun or scoped rifle. Handguns have become, for me, just an emergency tool.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,530 Posts
Took me awhile to get back to this. Thanks for the heads up. You mentioned eyesight and it made me consider ordering one for myself and I thought I can try my granddaughters out to see if I like it. I also thought it would be a good bonding link to her if we had the same SA. She has just now received a yard job that will take her to the total amount for a Wrangler. She shoots well enough with our 10/22, SR22, Mark III and LCRx22LR but this will be her first jump at the SA side of shooting. I may be more excited than she is on this new adventure. On another note I may suggest the Bronze as you stated she may be able to pick up the sight better. If I order two I will get a Bronze plus a Black(cerakote) one and paint the front site.
*How stiff is your loading gate? She is very athletic and may or may not have issues with it. I will do some of the suggestions others have made if it is too stiff.

·
One Star
9,557 Posts
I have two Wanglers thinking about adding the third one I don't have the black one.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rickclark28, my son’s loading gate is manageable by him. He doesn’t mind at all.

Personally I don’t care for loading gates which unlock the cylinder. I prefer my Bearcat where the gate is just a gate, and you half cock the gun to spin the cylinder and unload it. If I were to buy a Wrangler of my own, or a Single Six, I would look into whether it could be converted to function like a Bearcat.

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
Congrats ... yea the 10/22 and 22 mag rifles suit my eyes better but I'll keep shooting my handguns till i can't ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts