Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moved to Louisiana from DC. Bought myself my first rifle and am teaching myself to shoot.

I currently have Tech Sights on my 10/22 and I've been using them for the past couple of weeks. However, with my astigmatism and general aging eyesight, I am finding that I really can't use them past 25 yards. So I think I need to move to a scope. My range has 22 competitions with 10 - 15 yard targets. Most of my range shooting will be 25 - 100 yards. So, I need something for 10 - 100, that doesn't cost more than my rifle.

They make rimfire scopes that are inexpensive and light. This would be my first choice, but they are generally 2-7x. Can I use 2x for a target that is only 10 yds away? Or is that basically unusable at that close distance?

Is my better option a lpvo 1 -4x? Maybe Vortex Crossfire II 1-4x? These are heavier and more expensive in general than the rimfire scopes but may be more useful for my purposes.

Any advice or recommendations is appreciated:)

·
Registered
301 Posts

·
Mark2Cars
30 Posts
I am currently running a Leupold 2x7 Vari X III with good success at the distances you mention. At 100 yards it is however a bit of a stretch. Good luck and enjoy that 10/22 and those Louisiana squirrels.

·
Emperor
885 Posts
You can definitely get good focus on a target at ranges of 10 yards with a rifle scope with an adjustable objective or center parallax adjustment feature. I have a Hawke Vantage 3-9 x 40 AO mil-dot which works well and is reasonably-priced but there is also a Hawke Vantage 2-7x32 AO model.

It really depends on the nature of the shooting you are doing. I have a Vortex 1-6x24 Strikefire on one AR. It never would have occurred to me to mount it on a 10/22 but your requirements might be quite different than mine. The advantage of a LVPO is to allow quick target acquisition without magnification at 1x with the capability to rapidly dial up the magnification to allow for better precision at longer ranges. They also tend to be considerably more expensive than a decent rifle scope with an adjustable objective.

I agree that I personally would find 4x or even 6x magnification to be less than desired for shooting at 100 yards. If your competition requires you to rapidly shift between and acquire targets at very different ranges than a LVPO might make sense. It takes a moment to dial the adjustable objective to the correct range setting, although not much more than it takes to dial up or down the magnification on a LVPO. If you have enough time to adjust the objective between targets than I think a 2-7 or 3-9 rifle scope with AO would be vastly preferable.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
10 yards is a bit close and 100 yards is a bit far ...but all decisions in life are compromises and nothing in life is perfect .
I would be tempted to select a dedicated rimfire scope in the 2-7X range , the manufacturer would be the best deal you can get.
My 10/22 , bought in 1973 , wore a fixed 4X Weaver for most of it's life , Louisiana squirrel hunting 25 to 50 yards mostly and served well . Never tried 10 yard shooting with the 4X but I wouldn't feel under X powered for a 100 yard shot .
Gary

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,077 Posts
The shooting industry says .... 1x per 10 yards for a 22 LR scope. I have a Nikon 2~7X rimfire scope on my 22 LR bolt action Remington and find it works exceptionally well for distances from 20 yards to 70 yards. My CZ bolt action wears a Nikon rimfire 3~9x with an AO for parallax correction from 10 yards to infinity. I also have a couple 3~10X scopes with side dial parallax correction that work well from 10 yards to 100 yards, however they are long and heavy so not very good for anything but a bench rifle. One of these is mounted on a match grade 10/22 that will shoot tight groups at 100 yards.

A couple comments .... 10/22s typically aren't very accurate past 60~70 yards so unless you have a match grade barrel installed, the best scope in the world won't improve accuracy at distances past 60~70 yards. Scopes for high power rifles are typically parallax corrected for 100~150 yards and are a poor choice for closer distances. Rimfire scopes are factory adjusted to be parallax free at 50~60 yards and are a much better choice for a 22 LR rifle. A 2~7x set at 2x will be parallax corrected from 20 to 70 yards, however at 7x, it is corrected from 60 to 80 yards. Parallax correction is important because if it is not corrected for the distance you are shooting, the crosshairs can drift several inches and closer distances are affected more than longer distances.

Here's a link to an article I wrote about scopes that may help you understand the whys and wherefores of scopes, helping you make a sound decision on what to buy. Last .... there's no one scope that is perfect for all situations so don't "what if" yourself into buying something that you don't really need. Click here: Scope Dope

1 - 6 of 6 Posts