Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or do a lot of other shooters really enjoy the Rimfires? I love to shoot Centerfire Rifles and Handguns, but to take out some Rimfires with a couple of bulk packs of ammo. is sure a lot of enjoyment for me. You can sure improve your shooting skills. :)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
+1 on that.
Cheap shooting, no chasing brass for reloading, fun for all ages. And the guns seem to last forever.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I agree. I really enjoy shooting rimfires. In fact, I'm shooting in a rimfire steel plate match this afternoon....gonna shoot my 22/45. Should be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
A gun collection without at least one .22 is an incomplete gun collection, IMHO.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I hear more and more folks saying that they ought to get a rimfire. The price of a 400-round session at the range with centerfire is breaking their budgets.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm lucky to have an indoor range very close. I try to shoot at least 250 rounds a week, 90% is rimfire. I am looking forward to getting out to the real range soon.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I learned to shoot pistol with a High Standard Sentinel Deluxe 4"....put a brick of .22 Short hollow points through it every weekend for over a year...that's how I learned all I know about revolver shooting...sure couldn't have afforded that much practice with .38...I started one son on .45 and two on .38, because I didn't want recoil to bother them...but to get really good at the mechanics, a good .22 can't be beat!!!! Paid 41.50 for that first one (making $1.00 per hour)...there hangs in a good place here now an exact copy I bought almost 2 years ago for $219.00....still a good bargain and just as much fun!!!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
+1 I love rimfires. I have three .22 handguns (2 revolvers and 1 semi) and two .22 rifles (1 lever and 1 bolt). Next on my shopping list is a 10/22 when Dick's puts them on sale again. Actually I'm done buying centerfire guns for the a while due to the cost of ammo but I'll never pass up a good deal on a rimfire.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Rimfires certainly are easier on the wallet than their centerfire counterparts. I had my Taurus M94 .22LR revolver out last weekend and the next trip out it'll be the MKIII 22/45's turn.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Cal, I too agree and shoot them the "most" often,,,,, after that I prefer .38 special...easier on EVERYTHING really, besides you can practice MORE and if you do that ,you become a 'better' shot..........

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have more .22's than all other calibers combined. I generally take a centerfire and at least 2 rimfires to the range. I shoot for fun and rimfires fit that bill and are great trainers to boot. Since about 75-80% of the rounds I shoot are .22lr, I guess that's my favorite. It would be followed by .45ACP and .38.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
When I want to really practice and have fun at the same time I shoot my 22/45. If I'm stressed and want to get my frustrations out, I'll take along a 40 or 45.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,482 Posts
I have at least 2 22 rim fires for every center fire in revolvers, pistols, and rifles. Fun guns, all of them.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I love my rimfires. Not only are they a blast to shoot but are great for practice too. I use them to practice my trigger pull and sight alignment. In fact any shooting technique can be practices with a .22. The repetition helps what ever technique become habbit and the .22 is the cheapest way to do it besides dry firing.

·
Registered
401 Posts
A .22 makes the range trip for every session. First half spent w/ centerfires and SD, the second is with the .22. It's tough deciding which I enjoy more. Cost isn't much of a consideration... like gas, :( you can complain 'bout the price but when the tank gets low you still fill 'er up...

·
Registered
47 Posts
There are where it's at!

I shoot competition games every other Sundays...so usually the day before I go shooting my .22. I've noticed that when I skip it my shooting is not as good. As stated rimfires are great practice guns for virtually any discipline. And you can shoot all day long for like 10 bucks!

I got a mark II with 10" barrel with a trigger job. With open sights at 50' I'm under 2"...I had a scope on it and with it I was under 1" at 50'.

I just got a Charger (that's where the scope went). I'm doing a trigger job as we speak, I'm hoping to be done by the week-end...and will report promptly!

Next is probably going to be a 22/45...too many guns...too little time...why handguns are so addictive I just don't get it !

·
Registered
47 Posts
I betrayed Ruger...I got a Beretta U22 Neos 6" inox...I just could not turn it down...it looks too damn weird not to have it! Besides it's a good gun with a crappy trigger and I love the challenge of making a mediocre triggered gun into a 1000-buck exotic competitor!

I will put a red dot on it and leave the scope (2-6X) for the Charger. I'll use he Neos as my off-hand pistol, the Charger I will use exclusively with the bi-pod, and the mark II 10" is going to be my sand-bag one.

·
Banned
700 Posts
I've got more rimfires than I care to admit here. Pound for pound the most fun for my $$$
Easy to buy, tweak and feed. From Ruger MkII-III to the great American success story 1022 to the older classics,to the 77/22mag, rimfire is my gun of choice. Not that I don't own my share of centerfires.
Rimfires will surely gain in popularity with the present outrageous price escalation on shooting related goods.

SD

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
One thing that disturbs me reading on the different Boards, is all the people that are new to guns wanting to get a high powered gun to start out with. I shot the .22 Rimfire a long time before I moved up to higher calibers. IMHO the .22 is the best gun there is for anyone new to guns to start with. If you can handle and shoot them proficiently, you won't have any problem moving up to the higher calibers.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,482 Posts
KP97DC, I'll echo your thoughts about starting with a 22 and add .... even when you have been playing with guns for 50 years, 22s are still the most fun! I'd much rather shoot a brick of 22s than a box of center fires. Seems the older I get, the less I enjoy the big magnums and the more I enjoy 22s.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts