Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel like a kid at Christmas. Finally broke down and ordered the scope I've wanted for nearly 2 years for my RPR, can't wait for it to get here so I can take this baby out. Just wondering- does anyone still lap scope rings, or is it a thing of the past? I'd hate to have anything happen to the scope, which as expected, is nearly as much as the rifle itself. To lap, or not to lap- that is the question.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Just wondering- does anyone still lap scope rings, or is it a thing of the past?
That would depend on which rings you purchased.................................

·
Registered
186 Posts
Lapping is always a good option, especially with expensive optics.

I've also been using Burris Signature rings with Pos-Align inserts. You can make up both windage and elevation by choosing the correct inserts. This allows you to optically center your scope and then use the rings/inserts to get very close to zero. The scope will adjust in the middle of its adjustment range which is a positive in my book. I've never had them leave any kind of mark on any scope I've used them on.

At the very minimum, purchase a good torque wrench that operates in inch pounds and install the rings per scope/mount manufacturers specs.

Burris RIngs.jpg

These are on my Ruger Precision Rimfire. I also have them on my 308 RAR for many years. They've held zero hunting out west in some particularly tough conditions and use. The shots can be long out there so it would show if they cam out of adjustment.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I mostly buy the Warne QD rings, and I do not lap the rings before mounting. I do use a torque wrench (Wheeler F.A.T. Wrench) when mounting.

Reactions: ajn1963

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
If you buy decent rings it should not be necessary to lap them. I run my finger around the inside after removing from the package. I’ve not lapped any rings in recent memory.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts