Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a scope for my GSR. I can't seem to find the rings that came with my rifle so any suggestions on what to get?
Also,this is the first scope I've ever used. Should I have a gunsmith mount the scope?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You'll have to go to Ruger to get scope rings if you don't want to install a full length Picatinny rail.
The ring heights are different between the front and back. Standard ring sets will not work.
Or, you can install an extended eye relief scope with (insert your choice of ring mfg) on the existing half rail forward of the breech.
An XS rail (full rail) will replace the existing front picatinny rail and the rear sight with a full length rail that also incorporates a rear sight exactly like the factory peep sight.
Then you can use whatever available off-the-shelf picatinny rings and scope you choose.
I went with a Leatherwood 2-7 LEER scope forward mounted on the factory rail with same height UTG 6-screw QD tactical rings.
I also bought the full length XS rail to mount a 4~12 Bushnell for longer distances, but haven't done it yet.
Like the extended eye relief scope set up too much when hunting whitetail.
Happy shooting.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I went with the leupold 1.5-4 Scout scope and Warne Maxima
Quck- Release rings. Happy, Happy, Happy!

·
Banned
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think I should have a gunsmith mount it since I've never done it before?

·
Registered
228 Posts
You don't have to drill or tap out anything for the factory scope rings so there isn't any need to send it out. Like many other GSR owners I chose an extended eye relief Burris Scout scope and used QR rings so I always have the option of using the iron sights if needed. It's forward mounted on the stock rail.
Just bought the Fortis RED muzzle brake and hope to install it by the weekend.I really y like this rifle and it just feels like a natural fit when I shoulder it to shoot.

Good Luck,
Bob

·
Registered
964 Posts
For a traditional scope mount using the Ruger receiver mounts, it takes Ruger #4 & #5 rings; if you're going with a scope larger than ~42mm dia., you'll probably want to go with #5 & #6 rings.

I used a Leatherwood 2-7x Scout scope on the forward rail, with Warne quick-detach rings; works quite nicely for me.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Do you think I should have a gunsmith mount it since I've never done it before?
You can install it yourself. Pretty simple. Not too complicated.
I guess it depends on aptitude and tools available.
No real major issues other than making sure everything is tight. But not over tight to strip out the threads.
The screws holding the rail will need to be checked if you decide to use the existing picatinny rail.
Or make sure the Ruger factory rings are secured to the receiver if you go that way.
That's pretty straight forward. They are directional and have to be mounted correctly. Believe there is an arrow indicating correct orientation.
You can either take it to a smith and have the rings lapped parallel. Or blow it off.
This provides a more square, secure mounting for the scope tube.
Not really imperative. But good practice if you can afford it.
Thousands of people have forgone that expense, and have excellent shooting rifles.
At this point, I always install a Wheeler Cant gauge. Personal preference.
Loose mount the scope and get proper eye relief.
Then put the rifle into a decent vice to hold it level.
You will need a set of scope levels. Pretty cheap.
One goes on top of the receiver or some place square and level to the breech. Square the rifle to level in the gun vise.
The other level goes on the top scope turret. Loosen the rings and rotate the scope level to match the level on the receiver. Re-check eye relief.
Squarely and evenly tighten the rings. Continue checking level.
You can twist the scope out of square while tightening the screws if not done evenly.
If you installed it, adjust the level on the Cant gauge and tighten.
Double check all the levels.
From this point, it's about bore sighting or paper sighting.
I prefer laser bore sighting prior to punching paper.
If you can't bore sight, start closer to your target and move back as you bring the reticle on target.
Or if it's a bolt gun, remove the bolt and visually check to see if the reticles are fairly close to bore.
Not that hard to do.
Best part is, you get to spend a little bench time with your new toy, and a bunch of time at the range burning ammo. Win. Win. :cool:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You don't have to drill or tap out anything for the factory scope rings so there isn't any need to send it out. Like many other GSR owners I chose an extended eye relief Burris Scout scope and used QR rings so I always have the option of using the iron sights if needed. It's forward mounted on the stock rail.
Just bought the Fortis RED muzzle brake and hope to install it by the weekend.I really y like this rifle and it just feels like a natural fit when I shoulder it to shoot.

Good Luck,
Bob
Good choice on the Fortis RED.
Use one myself. In stainless.
Used a 5/8 hardened bolt and flat washer to pre-crush the stainless crush washer the majority of the way so the barrel threads didn't take such a beating in order to index it correctly.
.308 doesn't really need a brake. But the compensator tames the muzzle jump of the short barrel.
Eyes on target all the time now.
Nice hybrid brake/compensator. You should like it. :cool:

·
Banned
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can install it yourself. Pretty simple. Not too complicated.
I guess it depends on aptitude and tools available.
No real major issues other than making sure everything is tight. But not over tight to strip out the threads.
The screws holding the rail will need to be checked if you decide to use the existing picatinny rail.
Or make sure the Ruger factory rings are secured to the receiver if you go that way.
That's pretty straight forward. They are directional and have to be mounted correctly. Believe there is an arrow indicating correct orientation.
You can either take it to a smith and have the rings lapped parallel. Or blow it off.
This provides a more square, secure mounting for the scope tube.
Not really imperative. But good practice if you can afford it.
Thousands of people have forgone that expense, and have excellent shooting rifles.
At this point, I always install a Wheeler Cant gauge. Personal preference.
Loose mount the scope and get proper eye relief.
Then put the rifle into a decent vice to hold it level.
You will need a set of scope levels. Pretty cheap.
One goes on top of the receiver or some place square and level to the breech. Square the rifle to level in the gun vise.
The other level goes on the top scope turret. Loosen the rings and rotate the scope level to match the level on the receiver. Re-check eye relief.
Squarely and evenly tighten the rings. Continue checking level.
You can twist the scope out of square while tightening the screws if not done evenly.
If you installed it, adjust the level on the Cant gauge and tighten.
Double check all the levels.
From this point, it's about bore sighting or paper sighting.
I prefer laser bore sighting prior to punching paper.
If you can't bore sight, start closer to your target and move back as you bring the reticle on target.
Or if it's a bolt gun, remove the bolt and visually check to see if the reticles are fairly close to bore.
Not that hard to do.
Best part is, you get to spend a little bench time with your new toy, and a bunch of time at the range burning ammo. Win. Win. :cool:
Thanks! I appreciate the info!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have a pair of blued Ruger rings for the GSR I'd sell you, never used, for less than it would cost to buy them from Midway or shopruger.com But I would recommend mounting the scope in the forward position. It is a Scout rifle, after all.
The advantages are better balance, ability to top off the magazine while still in the gun, (provided you have polymer magazines and aren't still using the boat rudder steel magazines), nothing over the action for clearing a malfunction, not having to remove your rear iron sight to clear a scope, easier to carry with your hand wrapped around the middle of the rifle, but most important, unsurpassed peripheral vision, and speed of acquiring the target.
My factory Ruger rings will never get any use, because the GSR comes with a rail to mount a scope in the best place possible. My Mini-30's and Mini-14 are set up the same way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts