Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Yogi Berra, the New York Yankees All-Star catcher who became as famed for his humorous adages as his athletic prowess, died Tuesday, the Yogi Berra Museum reported. He was 90.
"It is with heavy hearts that we share the news that Yogi Berra passed away Tuesday night at the age of 90," the museum wrote in a statement.
The New York Yankees and Major League Baseball also reported news of Berra's death.
New York Yankees Legend Yogi Berra Dies at 90 - ABC News

·
Super Moderator
16,338 Posts
Another legend gone :(. RIP Yogi

·
Registered
280 Posts
A playing legend. Privileged to grow up in an era that had such great players.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I was fortunate enough to me him once many years ago , in an elevator he was with Sid Hernandez it was a neat incounter

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I do hope that his speaking quirks don't get get in the way of him being remembered as an absolutely great baseball player.

RIP Yogi

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Great Player and a Great Ambassador for the game of baseball. R.I.P. Larry (Yogi) Berra.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
grew up watching this gentleman play along with the Yankee dynasty. as a first generation American, whose father came here at age 12, the legend of DiMaggio moved us from gangsters and organ grinders to sophisticated.
we had some role models in the 50's, my personal favorite was Yogi. always the smile, and never a hint of scandal.
that team was anchored by the short, paunchy fellow who gave us great play, and clutch hitting. I remember him as a notorious "bad ball" hitter. absolutely a class act.
he was so good a later MVP couldn't get on the field. Elston Howard had to wait his turn!
those were the great days of baseball for me. hasn't been the same for years, and Yogi represented all that was good about the game.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
RIP, Yogi! There will never be another like you.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
He was a baseball genius -- may he rest in peace

It's so crowded nobody goes there anymore.

Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel.

You can observe a lot by watching.

I never said half the things I said.

Pair up by threes.

What the hell is wrong with him now? (when told by his wife that she's taken one of their sons to see the movie Dr. Zhivago)

The future ain't what it used to be.

I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did.

You should always go to other people's funerals, otherwise, they won't come to yours.
I don't know (if they were men or women fans running naked across the field). They had bags over their heads.

He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious.

(On why New York lost the 1960 World Series to Pittsburgh): We made too many wrong mistakes.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Saw him and the other greats at the old Yankee Stadium in my youth.

·
Super Moderator
22,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yogi lead the Yankees in RBI's for 7 consecutive seasons despite having Mantle and DiMaggio on the team. He won he AL MVP award 3 times, one of four players to do so in the history of the game. Casey Stengel said he was the one he wanted in an important game.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
We read his funny sayings and it's easy to think he wasn't a very smart guy. Regardless, on the ball field he was the brains. He was a catcher and the catcher is like a playing coach - from his position behind the plate (the only player not actually on the field) he can see everything from a unique vantage point. Calling pitches, shifting players, setting up plays - the catcher has to have the best baseball smarts. It's no coincidence that a lot of coaches and managers were catchers as players.

He was one of the greats from baseball's golden age. He will be missed.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
I was never much of a Yankees fan, But I'll miss Yogi.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've been saddened to tears by only two deaths in the sports world. The first was when I learned of the passing of Vince Lombardi...

And now Yogi Berra...

Their Legends, however, will never fade.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,547 Posts
Best part of his resume` reads, "he stormed the beach in Normandy."

R.I.P.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I ran an outdoor furniture and concrete statuary store in Northern New Jersey and had Rizzuto and Berra as customers. They were both wonderful and gave a long time Yankee fan me an autograpgh and a handshake.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts