Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I will be picking up RAP in 6.5 creedmoor Saturday. I have a question on scope ring height though. I want the scope and low as possible. Scope is a leupold 3x9x40 I just don't know if it will fit with low rings or if I'm going to have to get mediums. Saw a post on another website where a guys scope was a 50 mm objective with medium rings, and it looked like he had a large gap between scope and barrel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I used Weaver medium rings on my 25-06 Predator, and the 40mm objective is very close to the barrel with Butler Creek caps installed. I think low rings would be too much. Every scope is a little different thought. Also will depend on how far forward the scope sits and how long the scope tube is.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I actually didn't think of the butler creek caps I already have them on my leupold, and that never crossed my mind.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Cleveland, a scope with 40mm tube might be a bit much for low rings. If it was 30mm, I'd say for sure go with low. I hate it when spell check on my phone always changes "Ruger" to "River" as well!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys I will be picking up RAP in 6.5 creedmoor Saturday. I have a question on scope ring height though. I want the scope and low as possible. Scope is a leupold 3x9x40 I just don't know if it will fit with low rings or if I'm going to have to get mediums. Saw a post on another website where a guys scope was a 50 mm objective with medium rings, and it looked like he had a large gap between scope and barrel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi Cleveland,
I just picked up the same rifle. I was thinking of going with the leupold vx-1 3x9x40. Was trying to decide what height and brand rings also. What did you end up getting? Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey I have the exact scope set up in low rings. The rings are sun optics. I had never heard of that brand but that is the only low rings I could find locally. They have been very good rings though. My scope still has some clearance even with the butler creek flip up lens covers on. Worked out perfect for my setup since that rifle has hardly any comb on the stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey I have the exact scope set up in low rings. The rings are sun optics. I had never heard of that brand but that is the only low rings I could find locally. They have been very good rings though. My scope still has some clearance even with the butler creek flip up lens covers on. Worked out perfect for my setup since that rifle has hardly any comb on the stock.

I was thinking of getting Burris 1" Zee Weaver-Style Rings I found at my local gander mountain. You liking the scope? I know the comb is very low!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes the it has been nothing but dependable for me. I've had it for probably 10 years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cool thanks for the replies. There is a $50 rebate going on right now for new ones.:cool: Hopefully the newer ones are as good as the older ones! Also looking to get a sling. Did you put one on yours?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I had just an older sling I've used for years. Just a plain leather one. I'm sure the new leupold are probably better if I had to guess

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not yet. I'm hoping in the next few weeks. I also picked up a RPR in .308 a few months ago I still need to shoot! I put a Vortex viper on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts