Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Yep, either will work just fine. I would use SWCs normally ... but the place I order them from can only get 3 boxes in a flat rate box. But can get 4 of the RNFPs.... So guess what I order mostly. Find the RNFP shoot just as well to, but not the clean hole in paper that the SWC cuts.... Be that it may, I save the slightly heavier SWCs for the woods.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I use both and in fact the Missouri SWC and a home cast RNFP out of a Lee mold. Incidentally the bullet Missouri calls a Keith type is not strictly a true Keith type. There is no bevel base on any real Keith type bullets among other small difference. For plinking no big deal but past that yes it can be a problem.

·
Registered
397 Posts

·
Banned
308 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks JBnTx for the MO BULLET coating advice, I was wondering about that too.

Radio George
Hi-Tek is to lead bullets as butter is to bread.

Traditionally lubed cast bullets will soon be a thing of the past. Once you try Hi-Tek, I guarantee you'll never buy another uncoated cast bullet.
Try one of the 100 round sample packs from Missouri Bullet. You'll be sold on Hi-Tek.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Indecision struck so I just ordered both the SWC and RNFP, coated, from MBC. That way I can start learning to crimp both styles of bullet.

Looking forward to their arrival.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I friend of mine uses the hi tech coated bullets exclusively in his 1911s and 357 mag revolvers. He swears by them. I use JHPs for my 45 long Colt in my Ruger Blackhawk, makes a great deer gun.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I use both SWC and RNFP bullets in my .44 Magnums. Crimping is the same, roll crimp (or Redding profile crimp) into the crimp groove. While some may have an "accuracy" preference, I have not been able to tell if one design is more accurate than the other. I use a RNFP in all 5 of my .44 Magnums, but exclusively in my Puma levergun; SWC needs "special attention" to get it to feed reliably. My other 3 revolvers and one single shot use either interchangeably, but because I have a good mold, I shoot a lot of Lyman's429421s...

BTW; my Ranch Dog designed 240 and 265 gr. RNFP molds produce bullets which are both very accurate in all of my .44s...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Traditionally lubed cast bullets will soon be a thing of the past. Once you try Hi-Tek, I guarantee you'll never buy another uncoated cast bullet.
Try one of the 100 round sample packs from Missouri Bullet. You'll be sold on Hi-Tek.
Eh, I've tried 'em & there OK.
If I order bullets, I'll probably get more Hi-Tek.

But I cast my own, so it's Liquid Alox for me.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I guess I don't see the point. I don't get enough leading to matter, so the standard lube on cast bullets seems to work fine.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Traditionally lubed cast bullets will soon be a thing of the past.
Dunno where this came from but decidedly not true. There are over 38,000 members on Castboolits.com forum, with 400-500 members looking/using the forum per day, with 5-10 new members added daily, and that's just one place for casters to share, and many casters don't frequent forums. That's a lot for a "dying hobby". Perhaps long after I'm gone, the tree huggers will have convinced politicians that all lead products are evil, but not for a loooong time.

I don't see coating, Hi-Tek or powder coating as replacing regular lube, just a different process for producing lead bullets. I have only PCed mebbe 1,200 bullets (and purchased 1,000 or so Hi-Tek bullets, 9mm and 45 ACP), and nope it ain't gonna replace "traditional" lead bullets for me! Yep, they are cleaner to handle, cleaner to shoot, but no more "fouling free" than a good, proper fitting nekkid lead bullet that properly fits the gun. I have 4 revolvers and 4 semi-autos (and a few rifles) that shoot exclusively lead bullets, and although it took some trial and error, they now shoot mainly lead free. Not 100% as there is always some residue/fouling, but I haven't seen/encountered a single type of bullet that leaves no fouling whatsoever. Well mebbe .22 rimfire, but that's not a reloaders cartridge...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use the Cast Performance LFNGC 335 gr. in my .45lc, .454 Casull, and .460 S&W.

Love them!

·
Registered
420 Posts
While I mostly use jacketed bullets when reloading, there is something special about casting bullets. I still cast bullets. Then I run the cast bullets through resized I use a high temperature lube and attach the resized to a heater and end up with hard cast bullets that are hard lubed. I tried using moly and never found using moly didn't buy me much.
That said there are other reloaders that have their techniques and swear by them. It is a free country so try different things and see which one you like best.
There were two reasons I started reloading. The first was over 900 pounds of free wheel weights (this was when they were made with a hard lead alloy. The second was if sometime in the future the government either forces bullet manufacturers to code each lot of bullets or stops the sale of bullets I will still be able to roll my own.
Now I am down to my last fifty pounds of lead and I feel I have enough bullets to last me for the rest of my life. Obama shut down the last lead smelter a few years ago. Lead is getting harder to find and the price for lead has increased dramatically over the past ten years. I still have one source of free lead. My club has several pistol ranges that are just full of lead. With a little work I can get another couple of hundred pounds of good lead. This might come in handy in case I live longer than I expect.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Reloading for a Ruger SRH Toklat 454 Casull/45LC. Looking to plink at the range. Thinking about a 250 gr RNFP or a 255 gr. SWC Elmer K.

Missouri Bullet Company

Missouri Bullet Company

Which bullet profile makes the most sense?
I load for my Freedom Arms 454 Casull and I only use Penn Bullets Specialty bullets. The alloy allows for high pressures and no leading. Try their .45 Caliber 255 Grain Semi Wad-Cutter Plain Base .45 Caliber Bullets Available From Penn Bullets I guarantee you wont be disappointed. The Freedom Arms 454 is as strong as it gets so my 454 load is 29 grains of W 296 with a CCI 400 primer and Penn Bullet's 340 grain TCBB-SSK Specialty bullet DON'T LOAD THIS FOR YOUR GUN WITHOUT CREEPING UP TO IT, like I say, Freedom Arms makes a monster of a strong gun. I know Ruger makes strong ones but dont start with that load. You'll love those bullets though, accurate and clean as can be. I get zero leading even with the hot loads, not even splatter on the frame.

When I plink I have a second cylinder for it in 45 Long Colt. I still do Penn Bullets for weight of bullet consistency and no leadding. My plinking is their 200 grain SWCBB or their 200 grain RNFPBB 9 grains of Unique. On Penn Bullets Home page there is a slide show, the Ruger Blackhawk "15 shots at 40 feet" is my target; that's also 9 grains of Unique.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts