Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are two versions of the Ruger Old Army tool and I have both of them.

The older one has just the socket on the sort end to remove the nipples.

The newer one has a screwdriver on the long end and the nipple socket on the short end.

Does anyone know when the switch was made?

My old ROA was built in 1982.

My newer one was built in 1994.

So the switch over was in between these dates...but when?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Oldwolf, I think there actually are more, as these were supplied by various vendors and same as the "parts bin theory" whatever was 'on hand' was shipped, so may bounce back and forth, some had the name Ruger on the them and they were in different overall lengths too. We've had quite few Old Armies over the years we sold in our shops as well as had in collection. I would reallyhave trro ask some one like Jeff Munnel, who wrote the early Ruger books vol 1 and 2 as he was quite the OA collector and there was another guy , Wayne Shephard, used to display at the Monroeville,PA. and I think Louisville, Ky., Ruger shows back in the late 70's and 80's.
We used to have a bunch of the tools , in their brown envelopes over the years as "spares" but always had to put one in any of them we sold off, so I am down to 1 'spare' myself.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that is interesting. I'll get a picture of mine on this thread soon. Both of mine have "Ruger" stamped on them. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I believe there's other variations too. There were some differences in the markings on the socket ended ones I believe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts