Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit, I'm a bit of a road rager at times. I have a long commute every day and I encounter dozens of baffoons every time I get in the car. Inattention is my biggest pet peave. If you're eating cereal from a bowl with a spoon, or reading the newspaper while you're driving, how much attention could you possibly be giving to the road? 5 percent, maybe??

Anyway, I have noticed that when I travel with my GP100 by my side, I am MUCH LESS LIKELY to lose my temper on the road. Part of this is the awareness that getting pulled over for aggressive driving while packing is going to be frowned upon severely. But most of it, I believe, is that I just feel like I'm in a position of increased responsibility. I have to be above all that. Like I've been given a promotion within the ranks of citizens and I need to act accordingly.

That made me wonder, how it's almost funny that anti-gun people just assume that more armed citizens would mean more people just flying off the handle, freaking out and shooting people for no reason. Look at the VTech thing, just bring up the subject of trained, responsible students carrying guns and everyone just pictures chaos and mayhem on campus, with people drinking and shooting in the air like the Wild West or something.

Anyway, just something I was thinking about as my GP and I calmly and patiently made our way to work this morning.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Firearms do tend to sober one up. I am in agreement with the both of you.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey KP, what's the deal, taking one sentence to say what took me three paragraphs to try to say!! :D

That's exactly right. As an individual, I feel more disciplined and more apt to be polite to someone I wouldn't bother being polite to otherwise.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
EddieF-I have never seen it put more plainly...anyone who carries, or target shoots, or hunts takes on a higher level of responsibility, and most of us act accordingly...so glad you're out there armed...it could be you...who makes the difference.....I once had a road rage incident-the guy was flying low and rushed up on my bumper and stayed there...pulled up beside me at the light and screamed and cursed, waved in a singular way...then pulled in front of me as we continued and stopped....took off and stopped...3 times...then he saw me pick up the phone and ducked into a supermarket lot and disappeared...when the officer ran his plate-he said he was going to go to his house and discuss it with him. I said"I'd like to see his face when you tell him he was trying to pick a fight with a Marine who's also an ex-cop...and a .45 automatic..." The cop said he was going to tell him just that way!!! We never know these days which person is on the edge and our angry glare or blasting horn might push them over...much better not to go there...not that we're afraid, but, as EddieF says, we are more responsible...

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I agree with you 100%. With responsibility, comes more awareness and clearer thinking. Carrying doesn't give me any swagger, but it does make me more confident and makes me more rational.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Once in awhile I've seen the civilian version of the Wyatt Earp Syndrome, but it's been in a gunshop where the guy just had to show you his new gun...most folks who carry do it right and you'd never know they're carrying-like it's supposed to be...it's easier to be meek and humble when you know you hold life and death power...ain't no macho to it....

·
Registered
312 Posts
Road rage-- had a high school girl flip me off the other day because I honked to let her know I was stopped behind her when she started backing up. After I got over the initial reaction of being teed off I had to laff, feeling sorry for the poor sb that ends up with this one. Her parents have failed her badly.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
You have the right mindset eddie,

You have control over your life and an awareness of what you are doing and what is going on around you. You also don't have to prove anything to anyone. What was that old saying---with great power comes great responsibility? You have both and i congradulate you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree with all of the comments. When carrying, most of life's little aggravations seem to disappear.

On the road rage thing, I find that I'm completely oblivious to it only when I'm riding my motorcycle. Now you'd think (correctly) that's when I'd be most vulnerable, and more apt to snap at some wazoo carelessly endangering my life. But for some odd reason I never feel compromised or at at a disadvantage.

Although...

Once many years ago a guy in a Mercedes almost merged me into a semi. Still don't know how I came out of that one in one piece. I poured on the throttle and thread a 3 foot wide needle and just managed to get in front of the truck. When Mr. Benz came up on my left to pass I casually tossed my cigar at his car, his back window was open halfway and the stogie flew right in like a heat seeking missile. At the same instant I caught a glimpse of a chainsaw and a two and a half gallon gas can in a box on the rear seat [:p]

I took the next exit and didn't watch the news for a couple days after that. Probably explains my calmer than normal demeanor since then.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Aw why not...30 years ago, a patrolman was riding his Harley back and forth to work up and down a straight hilly road...to keep the bugs off his uniform, he'd zip into a jumpsuit...stick his .41 Mag into his belt, and off he'd go...2 lane all the way...down one hill one day, a semi passed him and cut in in front of him...thought it was an oversight....next hill up-he passed him and went on....next hill down, the semi did it again...cut in closer...and he could see him laughing in the mirror...next hill up...passed him and pulled ahead a ways...next hill down, you guessed it....wellll....the next hill up...he pulled up beside the semi...unzipped his jumpsuit-pulled his M57, and put six 1500fps Rem. softpoints in that almost new Peterbilt's engine compartment...last he looked back...the driver was standing there watching his engine steam and smoke...on to work and never heard a word about it......job well done.....

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Mmmm, I wonder who that patrolman is? Doesn't sound like anyone in here.;)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
On this story, I am innocent...not just forgiven, but innocent!!! He was a good cop a few years senior to me...he'd be there when you needed him....quiet...calm...and capable...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

On this story, I am innocent...not just forgiven, but innocent!!! He was a good cop a few years senior to me...he'd be there when you needed him....quiet...calm...and capable...
Well...thats a relief sheepdog! For a minuet there I thoght that you thought that you were "Dirty Harry"! :D

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
I consider myself to be a very courteous driver. I rarely pass someone with a blinker on so they can get over, I always slow down to let that guy take a left turn, I show down and flash people wanting to make a right turn on my road, etc. However, I don't let the people over who cut out on turning lanes, speed up and try to cut back into traffic. These people I actively try to block from merging back into traffic. Or when I am tailgated, I slow down. The closer someone tailgates, the slower I drive. One such incident I was driving in the left lane, and there were a few cars in front of me, so I couldn't drive any faster. It was medium traffic, so the traffic speed was ~5 miles below the posted speed limit. I guess the guy behind me thought I should be driving faster, or move out of his way, because he started tailgating me. I couldn't drive any faster, so I started slowing down. He obviously seen what I was doing and started tailgating even closer. So I slowed down some more. At this point, I could easily tap the brake and have him hit the rear end of my car. I couldn't even see his head lights in my rear view mirror he was so close. I took my foot off the gas and slowed down to about 20 MPH (on a 55 mph highway) and in my rear view mirror I can see him yelling, flipping me off and making other obscene hand gestures. I pulled out my Kimber, dropped the safety and set it in the seat next to me in case he decided to be stupid. After a few seconds, he got in the lane next to me, flew up beside me, yelled and made another obscene gesture and pulled in front of me and started to slow down. My turn was coming up anyways, so I started merging right to get off the highway and he went on.

If I didn't have my Kimber on me, I probably would of backed off at some point and wouldn't of pushed it the way I did in case he decided to hit the car and come after me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts